Bvckup - high speed "delta" sync

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Bvckup

#31 Post by webfork »

vacherin wrote:(Fixed the version on the homepage, thanks)
Cool, sure.

webfork

Re: Bvckup - high speed "delta" sync

#32 Post by webfork »

Note to users: Bvckup 2 is functional in both 32 and 64-bit Windows but the installation process will auto-detect and install the version for the system it is on and not both. Limitations here include the 64-bit version not functioning at all on 32-bits systems, while the 32-bit version is slower and lacks the shadow copy feature on 64-bits systems.

[I moved from the entry as I think they're confusing to casual users and I don't want the 32/64 bit dilema to turn people away from this program.]

Billo255

#33 Post by Billo255 »

Still a bit confused. I looked at the website and the "Last Beta" states the following -
In addition to the production version that is actively developed and supported, we also make the last version from the beta testing cycle available for download.

Last beta is completely free and has no restrictions or time limits.

Caveats
Last beta has been feature-frozen since April 2014 and it receives only critical fixes, when and if they surface.
We provide no technical support for it.
Is the version posted on the Portable Freeware site the April 2014 beta referenced above?

I've browsed through the sites release notes after release 68 and there are some significant changes (i.e. improved shadow copy, added simulated run capability, some improvements to delta copying). I do frequent backups over a gigabit network to a NAS and I think the Delta copying feature would probably shave a few hours off. Just wondering if anyone has any anecdotal experience comparing the the latest version with the Beta and were there any significant speed improvement over the Beta.

Just an observation - It was nice being able to read through release notes that have a clear explaination about the reason for an add, fix, or change. Makes it easier to know what to expect so kudo's to the developer.

Thanks,
Bill

Enternal

#34 Post by Enternal »

Yes the version posted here on Portable Freeware is the April 2014 that was referenced.

In terms of changes, yes there are significant changes in terms of features that were added. In terms of improvements in other aspects of the backup process such as backup speed and others that you noted, it's moderate. Although that's the case, I find that Bvckup2 beta's performance is excellent and still beats a lot of other software that is out there. So personally I would say that you should try it out and see if the performance meets your requirements and if it does, no problem.

However one feature that may be useful for you and that is the way files are processed. In the beta version, the more files you have to backup, the more memory the program will use. In his more recent updates, the amount of files does that impact the memory usage so it remains the same above a certain amount of files that is being processed. However this is generally an important thing if you processed millions of files so for most user cases, it's not really that important.

Anyway the beta is still excellent so I use it on all my secondary computers and only bought an actual licence for my primary computer. If you want to buy it, you could wait since the author tends to give discounts when he release a new major version and you could easily get it for $15. Sign up for his email list and you will know exactly when.

But yeah I really like his changelogs. They're really fun to read. And his blog too which also shows the changelog but with visuals as well as showing new features and improvements that are work in progress:
https://bvckup2.com/wip/

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

I do frequent backups over a gigabit network to a NAS and I think the Delta copying feature would probably shave a few hours off.
Very likely. I have a bunch of extra drives so I use it as a chance to use different backup tools and everytime I run Bvckup, I wonder what exactly I'm doing with the other tools (though one of them is a drive clone so it's a bit apples-to-oranges).
Is the version posted on the Portable Freeware site the April 2014 beta referenced above?
I'm not sure if those limitations are accurate as the dev has sort of a blog format for listing stuff around the beta so that info might be outdated. Could you provide a direct link? Anyway, whatever the author is doing as far as the unsupported beta, that's what we're listing (unless it goes bundleware or something).

Billo255

#36 Post by Billo255 »

Enternal wrote:Yes the version posted here on Portable Freeware is the April 2014 that was referenced.

However one feature that may be useful for you and that is the way files are processed. In the beta version, the more files you have to backup, the more memory the program will use. In his more recent updates, the amount of files does that impact the memory usage so it remains the same above a certain amount of files that is being processed. However this is generally an important thing if you processed millions of files so for most user cases, it's not really that important.
https://bvckup2.com/wip/
Thanks for the info. I've been using SyncBackFree for several years and haven't had any reason to swtich but I'm always looking for something that will speed up the backups. I've got some backup Windows image files that take forever for the backup and a validation check to complete.

SyncBackFree also stores files in memory and has the same limit as the Beta but I've never run into a problem with my paltry ~200,000 files spread across 4 drives. That's even when it is running all 4 backups at the same time

I recently had an external drive catastrophically fail and I lost a days work so this actually started with a search for an app that would backup my work to the NAS as I worked through the day. I think I'll play around with the Beta and see.

I'm impressed that there's only one person (as far as I can tell) that's doing the forum updates, writing the blog, doing the documentation, fielding questions, and writing code. I feel like I've accomplished something if I've figured out what socks to wear.

Bill

webfork

#37 Post by webfork »

Billo255 wrote:I'm impressed that there's only one person (as far as I can tell) that's doing the forum updates, writing the blog, doing the documentation, fielding questions, and writing code. I feel like I've accomplished something if I've figured out what socks to wear.
Agreed. I've met very few developers who can handle running that kind of project.

Enternal

#38 Post by Enternal »

webfork wrote:
Billo255 wrote:I'm impressed that there's only one person (as far as I can tell) that's doing the forum updates, writing the blog, doing the documentation, fielding questions, and writing code. I feel like I've accomplished something if I've figured out what socks to wear.
Agreed. I've met very few developers who can handle running that kind of project.
I remember reading somewhere on his forums that he was sort of retired or something. So that does help him a lot on this program especially since he seems a bit of a perfectionist from what I gathered on the forums.

Midas

Re: Bvckup2

#39 Post by Midas »

Betanews third-party review of payware Bvckup2 grants top rate after detailing some of its pros and cons:

lintalist

#40 Post by lintalist »

Not exactly related but from the same developer comes CCSIO, Cold-Cache Sequential IO
... little Xmas side project ... It's a little benchmark that tries to find the best way read/write large files at a given location, be it a local volume, a virtual mount or a remote share. The way it works is that it goes through a list of (io-buffer-size, io-buffer-count, io-mode) combinations, measures bulk throughput for each and tallies up the results.
Homepage - https://ccsiobench.com - has exact benchmark description and there's a longer, more technical description over at Fundamentals of Fast Bulk IO page

Donationcoder discussion: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... 405445#new
Attachments
ccsio-bench-screenshot.png

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote:Not exactly related but from the same developer comes CCSIO, Cold-Cache Sequential IO
I'll check this out solely based on the author. I was very impressed both by the interface as well as program capabilities.

giulia

#42 Post by giulia »

hi
great program
i found out now
is it stealth? it's not specified

lintalist

#43 Post by lintalist »

Same author does it again :-)
As you've probably guessed from the post title it's a real-time disk IO monitor. Not hard to do by any means, but what makes it interesting is how it visualizes the data. In short - when it draws a vertical bar to display a byte count, it factors the value into megabytes, kilobytes and bytes and then displays each of these separately, in their own dedicated "band". In long - see here for an explanation how to read this graph and why it's done that way to begin with.

If you feel like playing with it, there's a dev build - https://bvckup2.com/files/io-monitor.exe
70 KB, no dependencies, just save somewhere and run.
Source: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... #msg418814
Preview:
io-monitor-1.png
io-monitor-1.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 23993 times
Note: I have not tested for portability/stealth.

Specular

#44 Post by Specular »

giulia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:23 am hi
great program
i found out now
is it stealth? it's not specified
The CCSIO program do you mean? I ran it and while it saved no settings to a file anywhere it did save one setting (AskForResults) to the following locations in the registry:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CcsioBench
HKEY_USERS\<userID>\Software\CcsioBench
This setting appears to be based on the user selection after exiting the program (and only for the first time?), when the program asks the user if they'd like to submit a report of the benchmark to the dev to help some research.

webfork

#45 Post by webfork »

real-time disk IO monitor
Yeah that's awesome. I never stop getting caught off guard by really great data visualization.

The program doesn't seem to save any settings (apart from maybe drive) so it's probably portable. It also takes up 1.6 megs of RAM so that's really nice. This could be a great indicator of system bottlenecks without itself becoming part of the problem.

Wishlist:

* Ceiling CPU usage, meaning if it goes above (for example) 5%, it pauses itself. I say this because, during a copy from a SharePoint site, I got up to 15%, which is a little high.
* Maintain the current RAM usage
* Ability to monitor network connections using a similar format
* Quicky readme/intro/help view that explains the UI a little

Other nice things:

* Run from the notification area (not task bar) and ability to hover over the icon to make the window appear, go away once you stop hovering
* Ability to observe multiple sources at once
* Customize visual refresh speed (right now it's at roughly 0.5 seconds)
* Ability to resize window and have it scale accordingly
* Optional trend line