FotoSketcher 2.30

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
lautrepay

FotoSketcher 2.30

#1 Post by lautrepay »

FotoSketcher's entry was updated four times in the last 48 hours and there's still not a definition if it's still portable or not. Can someone else help to clarify this matter?

guinness

Re: FotoSketcher 2.30

#2 Post by guinness »

Give me 5mins and I'll confirm.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Tested: Not Portable

I tested on XP SP3 with Admin rights and I've never used FotoSketcher on this system. It created an INI file under %APPDATA%\FotoSketcher.ini.

I then decided to move FotoSketcher.ini to the application's folder and it was still the same issue, it re-created the INI file I mentioned above.

lautrepay

#4 Post by lautrepay »

guinness wrote:Tested: Not Portable
Thanks for testing, guinness!
As I have great respect for I am Bass and Checker's opinion I won't update the entry by myself, but your test is final for me.

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

Let me try again, but this time I'll do it as a limited user. I will need at least 10mins this time.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

Same problem. I also tested on Windows 7 x64 with Sandboxie and the same problem as reported in post #3.

lautrepay

#7 Post by lautrepay »

guinness wrote:Same problem. I also tested on Windows 7 x64 with Sandboxie and the same problem as reported in post #3.
Thanks again, guinness! Not only for the tests but also for your collaborative spirit.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

lautrepay wrote:... for your collaborative spirit.
Really? Well thanks.

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

Listen, the .ini problem is, apparently, only on some versions of Windows. We should probably add a note to the db entry to alert users about this issue but we should not change the entry as FotoSketcher V2.30 is portable on other systems. You should further contact the developer to resolve the problem.

Btw, V2.25 is still available for download.

Tested: Portable

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

What systems did you test on? I tried on XP SP3 (Admin & Non-Admin,) Windows 7 x64 (Admin & Standard User) and Vista SP2 (Admin,) the problem was still the same, I even moved the file to a USB drive to see if it would work when the media was removable, it didn't. From the comments, 5 people have responded and 3 have come back saying this isn't Portable so I would say at the moment the majority vote is V2.30 isn't Portable.

I believe you I am Baas but I can't seem to replicate what you've said. Has anyone else tested on 7 with a Standard User account?
Test procedure:
1. Launched FotoSketcher.
2. Navigated to Edit >> Drawing Parameters and then selected from the dropdown menu a different style.
3. Checked %APPDATA% and the file was created.

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:What systems did you test on? Test procedure:
1. Launched FotoSketcher.
2. Navigated to Edit >> Drawing Parameters and then selected from the dropdown menu a different style.
3. Checked %APPDATA% and the file was created.
Win 7 Professional x64 (Admin & User) with UAC enabled. I followed the exact same test procedure and the .ini file was created in the application folder.

Going to retest with UAC disabled... will be back shortly.

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

Ah you have UAC enabled, I don't. Because I created a (dummy) Standard User account for testing this and it would have required a restart, which at the time wasn't feasible as I was working on something else in my main account. Perhaps I should have mentioned this before.

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:Ah you have UAC enabled, I don't. Because I created a (dummy) Standard User account for testing this and it would have required a restart
Tell me abot it. I wasted too much time already on this application (which I don't even use)... anyways, same results with UAC disabled. I have no idea but V2.30 is portable on some systems and not on others. The developer should have the answers. All we can (and should) do is add a note to the entry.

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

I am Baas wrote:
guinness wrote:Ah you have UAC enabled, I don't. Because I created a (dummy) Standard User account for testing this and it would have required a restart
Tell me abot it. I wasted too much time already on this application (which I don't even use)... anyways, same results with UAC disabled. I have no idea but V2.30 is portable on some systems and not on others. The developer should have the answers. All we can (and should) do is add a note to the entry.
Agreed, I think we've tested this quite a bit and I'm the same, never used it.