Abykus SE - spreadsheet

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
AlephX

Abykus SE - spreadsheet

#1 Post by AlephX »

Hi this is a free limited release of Abykus CE.
Abykus SE (8191 rows x 127 columns x 16 worksheets) and Abykus CE (65534 rows x 255 columns x 32 worksheets).
It is portable and requires about 1,5 Mb on disk (50% is the help file...)

The download file is SFX but I usually prefear to use Universal Extract (it´s like an addiction!)

http://www.abykus.com/ v1.32

The program combines object-oriented functionality with traditional spreadsheet operations, allowing you to store multi-value data types (such as arrays and matrixes) in a single cell. This not only saves valuable space on your worksheets, but it also significantly reduces the overhead needed to manage data. Once created, a cell object can either stand alone or be used as a building block to form other objects which are continuously recalculated as changes are made to key values throughout the worksheet .

Abykus has also replaced the standard "A1" cell naming convention with a significantly more powerful notation that uses numbers (i.e. algebraic expressions) or even other cell addresses to represent a cell's row and column position. This powerful, yet intuitive, new convention makes it possible to create dynamic cell addresses that reference different cells depending on the results of a specific calculation.

Functions can also tailored to your specific needs, using an integrated script language (which uses a syntax that's similar to the C programming language). Scripts look and behave like built-in functions and are easy to maintain and share between worksheets, since they are created, stored, and accessed from external library files as opposed to being imbedded in the worksheet itself.

Stephen Leibowitz

Abykus CE - spreadsheet

#2 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

I have entered Abykus CE into the database with a status of private. My thought is that, if approved, it would replace Abykus SE. The reason why I have not simply edited the Abykus SE entry is that I think it would be better to address any questions about the replacement and the proposed content for CE before it is in Latest entries. I have listed it as Suggested by AlephX. Perhaps someone would check if it runs on Win 11?

Stephen Leibowitz

Abykus CE - spreadsheet

#3 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

I entered Abykus CE into the database with a status of private. There have been no questions or comments. I ask that you consider voting to make it public. The entry is at: https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=3097

Andrew Lee

Re: Abykus SE - spreadsheet

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just dropping a note to say that the decision to create a separate entry for "Abykus CE" is the correct decision IMHO.

Personally, I have been put off by the strange licensing of the "Commercial Edition", where you get a single user license only if you download from their website etc.

Maybe others will chime in eventually..

Stephen Leibowitz

Abykus CE - spreadsheet

#5 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

I am guessing that the Abykus author wants it downloaded from his download page because the page has the full text of the license agreement. Even if his website were to disappear, the download page would still be on the Wayback Machine, from which the program can be downloaded for free.

Stephen Leibowitz

Abykus CE - spreadsheet

#6 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

The help file bundled with the installation package is in the old .hlp format. I have converted the help file to run on modern Windows versions and made other improvements to it. Abykus30.chm is at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lc2o1z ... aDPUl/view

Midas

Re: Abykus CE - spreadsheet

#7 Post by Midas »

Stephen Leibowitz wrote: I have converted the help file to run on modern Windows versions and made other improvements to it...
Is there by any instance a trick to make Abykus invoke your CHM file from the "Help" menu/button -- instead of the HLP one?

Stephen Leibowitz

Re: Abykus CE - spreadsheet

#8 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

I edited the Abykus.ini file to point to the chm file. But when calling Help from Abykus, I received an error msg that the chm file is not a Windows Help file (it is a Microsoft HTML Help file). The program calls WinHelpA. If that call fails, it does not fallback to calling HtmlHelpA.

Abykus.chm can be downloaded from:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lc2o1z ... aDPUl/view

I wrote a batch file that may be useful to some people:

Code: Select all

@echo off
cd /d  %~d0\AbykusCE30
start AbykusCE.exe
choice /m "Press Y to display Help (chm version), else press N"
if ERRORLEVEL 2 exit
start Abykus.chm
exit
When creating the chm file, I added a contents panel and made other improvements. I have also put these things in a hlp version. The improved hlp is a drop-in replacement for the original hlp file, and can be called from the Abykus program. It can be downloaded from:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RvVOcO ... iLWJ0/view

Midas

Re: Abykus SE - spreadsheet

#9 Post by Midas »

Thanks for that, Stephen Leibowitz. 8)
Stephen Leibowitz wrote: When creating the chm file, I added a contents panel and made other improvements. I have also put these things in a hlp version. The improved hlp is a drop-in replacement for the original hlp file, and can be called from the Abykus program.
Could there be a way to make the HLP file invoke the CHM? That'd be rather useful for other legacy programs...