It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
Posts: 7
Software can be made portable without the addition of other software or files.

http://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable

Simply install via the .exe run once (so that files are created in my documents/OpenTTD/)

Copy all files (except uninstall files) from the installation location to a folder of your choice

and copy the file openttd.cfg (created in My Documents/OpenTTD/ during the first run) to the folder chosen to house the application.


Simples :-)

Also Windows, Mac and Linux compatible


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am
Posts: 4139
Thanks for posting about OpenTTD, mcfroogle, but a little bit more details about it would be helpful.

_________________
Bəəs 2.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
Posts: 7
Ok,
The game is a transport simulator. This is an open source creation based on of the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe although does NOT require the original. It has a large community creating a variety of mods.

There is an online readme avaliable here:
http://vcs.openttd.org/svn/browser/trun ... ?rev=23441

This also contains the portable installation information
http://vcs.openttd.org/svn/browser/trun ... 23441#L314
(direct link to the instructions)

This readme may contain any other information required.

Just ask what other information you need :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 251
It's also available over at PAc: http://portableapps.com/apps/games/openttd_portable

_________________
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
-- Samuel Beckett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
Posts: 7
Emka wrote:


Oh yeah that's true... but sadly it's also 2 versions out of date (that has 1.1.3, current is 1.1.5)

Also I don't know if it is common but I much prefer running software via native portability support rather than going though other software or a wrapper.

:-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1690
Location: Helsinki, Finland
mcfroogle wrote:
Emka wrote:


Oh yeah that's true... but sadly it's also 2 versions out of date (that has 1.1.3, current is 1.1.5)



Indeed. I have reported that to PortableApps.com.

mcfroogle wrote:
Also I don't know if it is common but I much prefer running software via native portability support rather than going though other software or a wrapper.

:-)


Yes, it's very common in TPFC. :)

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
Posts: 7
Ok :-) do you think you'll post it on the site soon? or is there more information you need to gather? or any i can try and supply? or find out for you?

:-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1690
Location: Helsinki, Finland
mcfroogle wrote:
Ok :-) do you think you'll post it on the site soon? or is there more information you need to gather? or any i can try and supply? or find out for you?

:-)


I think you have already gathered enough information.

Once you've been a member of TPFC for at least a week, you'll be able to submit applications directly into the database. (On the database side, an "Add Entry" link will appear next to the "Logout" link.)

However, an application needs votes from regular members in order to become public. See this thread for details. In the end, OpenTTD will get a public entry only if people are interested enough.

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
Posts: 7
Ok, sadly although I've been using this site to find great software I have only just joined the forum so it will be a few days until I can submit an application. I hope this game receives interest because it is a very well made and enjoyable game with regular updates and a large, helpful community.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am
Posts: 4139
@mcfroogle
Your initial post was lacking basic details like what OpenTTD is/does. Just a download link and instructions how to make this thing portable. Most people would ignore a submission like this from a first time poster. Anyways... here's a how-to for a portable OpenTTD:

1. Download the latest stable openttd-1.1.5 zip archive and extract.

2. Delete unnecessary languages from 'lang' folder.

3. Download the latest opengfx and opensfx binary files for all platform (zip archives) and extract to the 'data' folder of openttd-1.1.5 (or whatever you named it). Remove the version number from the folder name (i.e. opengfx-0.4.1 -> opengfx etc.).

4. Download the latest openmsx binary file for all platforms (zip archive) and extract to the 'gm' folder. Again, remove the version number from the folder name.

5. Create an empty openttd.cfg file in the OpenTTD folder (where the .exe file is).

6. Launce openttd.exe

_________________
Bəəs 2.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
Posts: 7
I am Baas wrote:
@mcfroogle
Your initial post was lacking basic details like what OpenTTD is/does. Just a download link and instructions how to make this thing portable. Most people would ignore a submission like this from a first time poster. Anyways... here's a how-to for a portable OpenTTD:

1. Download the latest stable openttd-1.1.5 zip archive and extract.

2. Delete unnecessary languages from 'lang' folder.

3. Download the latest opengfx and opensfx binary files for all platform (zip archives) and extract to the 'data' folder of openttd-1.1.5 (or whatever you named it). Remove the version number from the folder name (i.e. opengfx-0.4.1 -> opengfx etc.).

4. Download the latest openmsx binary file for all platforms (zip archive) and extract to the 'gm' folder. Again, remove the version number from the folder name.

5. Create an empty openttd.cfg file in the OpenTTD folder (where the .exe file is).

6. Launce openttd.exe



Due to all these steps I suggested using the installer (.exe) because it give you the option during installation to download and install opengfx, opensfx and openmsx for you saving lots of extracting time and putting things in the correct directories.

from the installer you can also chose not install other language files.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am
Posts: 4139
mcfroogle wrote:
I am Baas wrote:
@mcfroogle
Your initial post was lacking basic details like what OpenTTD is/does. Just a download link and instructions how to make this thing portable. Most people would ignore a submission like this from a first time poster. Anyways... here's a how-to for a portable OpenTTD:

1. Download the latest stable openttd-1.1.5 zip archive and extract.

2. Delete unnecessary languages from 'lang' folder.

3. Download the latest opengfx and opensfx binary files for all platform (zip archives) and extract to the 'data' folder of openttd-1.1.5 (or whatever you named it). Remove the version number from the folder name (i.e. opengfx-0.4.1 -> opengfx etc.).

4. Download the latest openmsx binary file for all platforms (zip archive) and extract to the 'gm' folder. Again, remove the version number from the folder name.

5. Create an empty openttd.cfg file in the OpenTTD folder (where the .exe file is).

6. Launce openttd.exe



Due to all these steps I suggested using the installer (.exe) because it give you the option during installation to download and install opengfx, opensfx and openmsx for you saving lots of extracting time and putting things in the correct directories.

from the installer you can also chose not install other language files.

All very nice, but the installer requires admin rights.

_________________
Bəəs 2.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
Posts: 7
Oh yeah, good point, I didn't think of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 3765
Location: Sol3
mcfroogle wrote:

    OpenTTD latest stable is v1.3.3, released on 2013-11-29 (download available at link above, still).

    Game is OSS, multi-platform (Windows, Linux and MacOS, and there's also a port for Android somewhere else) and natively portable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7125
Location: US, Texas
Cross platform, open, natively portable, AND actively developed? That's hard to ignore. It was non-simple to start playing so I'm making my way through the tutorial: http://wiki.openttd.org/Tutorial

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group