Small USB drives

Discuss hardware related to portable usage, including the kind of storage devices people use, and how they use them.
womentake

Re: Small USB drives

#16 Post by womentake »

I have been using Samsung 32Gb Usb3.0 Usb MUF-32BA/APC for almost 2 years. It is small, made of metal and great shaped. I put it on to my key chain and it is really nice way for not losing it :)

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Looks cool. I've never seen one of those. 8)

h3kt0r

#18 Post by h3kt0r »

Two cheap USB 3 keys bought last month.
Tested with ChipGenius, FakeFlashTest, SpeedOut.
Great build and quality.

Eivotor 64Gb Mini Flash Drive
Eivotor 32Gb Metal Case Mini USB Key

bitcoin

#19 Post by bitcoin »

i buy the tiny thumb drives that are almost flush with the USB port - SanDisk and Samsung are the ones i've bought

they both get pretty hot though and the Samsung i've had for 3-4 years is slowly losing data - have had to run CheckDisk on it about 20 times already

Midas

#20 Post by Midas »

On a general note, heat is not good for electronics. :|

I unplug my USB drives as soon as I can to store them away from the computer and up to now I have never run into data loss with them. But then I don't use them for long term storage -- magnetic media is still king for that.

h3kt0r

#21 Post by h3kt0r »

Back on the topic 8 months later with bad news : both Eivotor USB sticks are dead.
After some research, it might be the SMI controller that failed. Flawed component ?
Now i know the reason why they were so cheap in the first place.
On the other hand, i own a Transcend 16Gb USB key since 2008 (yes that's 12 years) and it never failed me (yet).
It's kind a little bit slower but it's still working just great.

My advice : don't do the same mistake. Don't buy Eivotor USB flash sticks...

thepiney

#22 Post by thepiney »

I have several Corsair Flash Voyager drives. The first one I got is 8GB from quite a while ago and still kicking with a LOT of usage. At least 2-3 of the newer ones (32GB+) have failed within 1-2 years with very little use. Makes me wish I had just bought a bunch of the 8GB one back then.

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

thepiney wrote:Makes me wish I had just bought a bunch of the 8GB one back then.

I did buy once a bunch of these cheap and minute 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Entreprise drives that are serving me well to this day -- mainly for boot testing OSes... only problem is them being so small they're really easy to misplace; I keep them in a sweets can.