KDE is slow – for dummies

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
SYSTEM

KDE is slow – for dummies

#1 Post by SYSTEM »

There are a lot of tweaking guides for Windows, but hardly any for GNU/Linux. By chance, I found one today. :)

http://mschlander.wordpress.com/2011/01 ... r-dummies/
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

lautrepay

Re: KDE is slow – for dummies

#2 Post by lautrepay »

Thanks for the link.
Although I really do believe that those recommendations result in a better performance (others: disable thumbnails previews, turn back to the classic start menu, remove plasmoids that are on the desktop, avoid using gtk apps, etc.), my poor english detects that the author thinks that they are more a placebo rather than truly effective.
And this does not take into account the irony of the final paragraph.
Another issue is that, unfortunately, the article mentions how to disable Strigi, but it says nothing about how to disable Nepomuk, which certainly represents a big step back for the KDE development, not only from the point of view of performance.

SYSTEM

Re: KDE is slow – for dummies

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

lautrepay wrote: Another issue is that, unfortunately, the article mentions how to disable Strigi, but it says nothing about how to disable Nepomuk, which certainly represents a big step back for the KDE development, not only from the point of view of performance.
Agreed. :(

I have had Nepomuk disabled (via the same configuration dialog) but actually decided to re-enable it yesterday. Akonadi depends on Nepomuk, and in turn, many KDE applications (e.g. Kopete and KMail) depend on Akonadi. :(
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020