Rest break / eye strain programs

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Re: Rest break / eye strain programs

#31 Post by webfork »

starstuff wrote:Is there a difference between using a computer glass and the flux program? Is it better to use computer glass?
I actually use both but the only thing that's worked consistently for hours and hours editing text/code on a machine is the glasses
starstuff wrote:I tried a computer glass in a store and it has a yellow tint, I also tried the flux program and it makes the monitor yellow.
Sadly I've found no way around that. Some of Adobe's software (and a few freeware programs like Atom, Notepad++, Blender) have taken a mostly gray/black UI approach. Other than that, I don't know.

starstuff

#32 Post by starstuff »

Thanks webfork, I'll buy a computer glass.

Do you use both at the same time? would that make the screen more yellow?

How do you manage when using Adobe software for color accuracy? do you turn it off temporarily?

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

both at the same time? would that make the screen more yellow?
Yes but you can control some of the color settings and I have them on the very minimal setting. The idea with running the program in addition to the glasses is focused on gradually losing the blue color spectrum over the course of a day so you can sleep better at night.
How do you manage when using Adobe software for color accuracy? do you turn it off temporarily?
Yep. Most programs in this category have an easy-disable feature.

freakazoid

#34 Post by freakazoid »

@starstuff - Sorry for the late response! Never tried computer glasses. To me, SunsetScreen is enough, but I'm guessing computer glasses would do better with blue light glare.
is it stealth? ;)

freakazoid

#35 Post by freakazoid »

Saw a new app that minimizes blue light on Ghacks today.

Gammy
https://getgammy.com/index.html

Settings save in the application's directory. Haven't tested for stealth.
Uncompressed filesize is 51.5MB. Memory usage is around 15-20MB.

Nice little window to control the brightness and color temperature, but lacks hotkey support that SunsetScreen and f.lux have.

Going to stick with the last ad-free version of SunsetScreen for now.

Also I wanted to note that I bought some glasses to block blue light. They help and not just for the computer, but also while watching TV or while you're on your mobile device.
is it stealth? ;)