It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Chromium Portable - web browser
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1632
Location: Helsinki, Finland
[Moderator note: this topic was split from the Pale Moon web browser thread.]

---

I have switched my secondary browser from Pale Moon Portable to Chromium Portable.

Among other things, this means that I will no longer track new versions of Pale Moon Portable.

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 890
SYSTEM, you should add Chromium Portable to TPFC!

_________________
is it stealth? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:30 am
Posts: 163
freakazoid wrote:
SYSTEM, you should add Chromium Portable to TPFC!

+1! Chromium Portable is really FAST!and very responsive, too..
it seems to be made portable using portableapp's method, but it's not featured at portableapps.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1632
Location: Helsinki, Finland
the_watcher wrote:
freakazoid wrote:
SYSTEM, you should add Chromium Portable to TPFC!

+1! Chromium Portable is really FAST!and very responsive, too..
it seems to be made portable using portableapp's method, but it's not featured at portableapps.com


Wow, I didn't expect that kind of reaction. :)

Chromium Portable is maintained by kAlug, who is one of PortableApps.com developers. I'm going to ask him if he expects Chromium Portable to be an official PA.c app one day.

I'm going to submit Chromium Portable later this week.

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 6724
Location: US, Texas
Edit: The license mentioned below as BSD is not accurate. This considered Freeware due to the inclusion of closed source Flash and PDF-viewer components.

SYSTEM wrote:
Wow, I didn't expect that kind of reaction. :)

Chromium Portable is maintained by kAlug, who is one of PortableApps.com developers. I'm going to ask him if he expects Chromium Portable to be an official PA.c app one day.

I'm going to submit Chromium Portable later this week.


The program claims support for jPortable, its BSD licensed, and its author has worked on several other portable projects. All good stuff.

PA site: http://portableapps.com/node/29472
SourceForge home: http://crportable.sourceforge.net/

However, I have to wonder how this is different from Iron.

_________________
More Portable Freeware | EFF v Trump | FFox+DDG user | Projects donated to: VLC, CubicExplorer, Ditto, Greenshot, TrueCrypt, WinSplit, ClickyGone, ImgBurn, Rockbox, Serva, ShareX, LibreOffice, Splat, TinyTask, Asuite, AutoVer, KompoZer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 am
Posts: 4118
Quote:
However, I have to wonder how this is different from Iron.

I was going to ask the same question but thought there might have been an obvious answer I was missing :P

_________________
Added 179 Applications: Portable


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 890
True about Iron.

The more I look at it, the more Iron is totally unnecessary. From the description of Chromium Portable, it looks like it also removes Google's unwanted tracking.

If the dev of Chromium Portable can confirm that the following tracking options are removed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chr ... e_tracking

Then that would be great.

Chromium already removes this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)#Differences_from_Google_Chrome

Iron only adds:
* built-in adblock.ini support - If you're using Adblock Plus, then I don't think Iron is necessary.
* user-agent switcher - There's an extension available here
* additional preview thumbs - Not necessary

---

Anyway sorry for forking discussion! Bringing it back to Pale Moon, I'm loving Pale Moon 7!

_________________
is it stealth? ;)


Last edited by freakazoid on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1632
Location: Helsinki, Finland
freakazoid wrote:
True about Iron.

The more I look at it, the more Iron is totally unnecessary. From the description of Chromium Portable, it looks like it also removes Google's unwanted tracking.

If the dev of Chromium Portable can confirm that the following tracking options are removed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chr ... e_tracking

Then that would be great.

Chromium already removes this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)#Differences_from_Google_Chrome


http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam

In Chromium, some user tracking mechanisms are enabled by default, but they all can be disabled.

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 890
SYSTEM wrote:
In Chromium, some user tracking mechanisms are enabled by default, but they all can be disabled.


If there's a way to disable these via an .ini file before first run, that would be great!

_________________
is it stealth? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1632
Location: Helsinki, Finland
freakazoid wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:
In Chromium, some user tracking mechanisms are enabled by default, but they all can be disabled.


If there's a way to disable these via an .ini file before first run, that would be great!


Unfortunately I'm not aware of any way to do that. :(

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 890
Perhaps this should be a request to kAlug!

_________________
is it stealth? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 6724
Location: US, Texas
freakazoid wrote:
Anyway sorry for forking discussion! Bringing it back to Pale Moon, I'm loving Pale Moon 7!

Kinda glad you said this as this thread has taken on a life of its own. Dumped over to a new one.

_________________
More Portable Freeware | EFF v Trump | FFox+DDG user | Projects donated to: VLC, CubicExplorer, Ditto, Greenshot, TrueCrypt, WinSplit, ClickyGone, ImgBurn, Rockbox, Serva, ShareX, LibreOffice, Splat, TinyTask, Asuite, AutoVer, KompoZer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1632
Location: Helsinki, Finland
SYSTEM wrote:
Chromium Portable is maintained by kAlug, who is one of PortableApps.com developers. I'm going to ask him if he expects Chromium Portable to be an official PA.c app one day.


Just got a chance to ask. He doesn't think so.

freakazoid wrote:
Perhaps this should be a request to kAlug!


I forwarded your request. He may make a special profile (with all tracking disabled) available for download.

http://portableapps.chrismorgan.info/irc/logs/?t=2011-10-15#T14-17-08

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chromium Portable (split from Pale Moon thread)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 890
Sounds good!

_________________
is it stealth? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pale Moon
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1632
Location: Helsinki, Finland
SYSTEM wrote:
I'm going to submit Chromium Portable later this week.


Submitted: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2169

Vote now, please.

(It seems -.- is the member who first mentioned Chromium: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14386#p14386)

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my tenth playlist: January 16, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group