Noteliner

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
SYSTEM

Re: Noteliner

#16 Post by SYSTEM »

Iggy64 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I have put fresh copies of the Visual C++ dlls into the System32 folder in Wine, and I have reduced the number of error messages down to two.

The first error involves msvcm80.dll. There is definitely a copy of that dll in the System32 folder, and it is the same dll that I have on my WinXP machine, where Noteliner runs fine.

Iggy64 wrote: john@Laptop-61SXY91:/media/KINGSTON/Software/Noteliner2$ wine Noteliner.exe
err:module:attach_process_dlls "msvcm80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
Try installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable normally (download the installer and run it with Wine). IIRC, Microsoft intentionally keeps these libraries from loading if they're loaded in a "wrong" way.
Iggy64 wrote: The second error has something to do with "LdrInitializeThunk Main exe", and I have no clue what that is or what it means. (As noted earlier, I just started playing with Linux a week or so ago.) The text below is the actual message I get when I try to install Noteliner from my thumb drive under Wine on Xubuntu 11.10.
Iggy64 wrote: err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\media\\KINGSTON\\Software\\Noteliner2\\Noteliner.exe" failed, status c0000142
Sorry, no idea about that. :(
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

I am Baas

#17 Post by I am Baas »

Have you tried to put the .dll files in the application folder (where the Noteliner .exe file is)?
Also, feed the error message text into google search.

Iggy64

#18 Post by Iggy64 »

Yes, the very first thing I tried was putting all the dlls into the folder with the Noteliner.exe file. That did not work. I subsequently tried putting them directly onto the virtual C: drive, in the Windows folder. That didn't work. I subsequently learned (by comparing with my Windows computer) that I had put some of them into the wrong path. Eventually, I tried installing Visual C by means of vcrun2005, with no luck. Then I tried using the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 distribution, and that seemed to do the trick. The error messages concerning Visual C finally were gone.

Alas, I then started getting errors concerning .NET. Wine asked me to install the Windows version of Mono. Thinking that Mono is the Linux version of .NET, I guessed that the "Windows version of Mono must be .NET. So I installed .NET 2.0 (since that is the highest Gold version available). That triggered a host of "fixme" and "err" messages the likes of which has not been seen since Hannibal crossed the Alps.

So I have created a fresh Wine prefix and will start from scratch tonight. I'll try installing the .NET and Visual C on a fresh prefix. I read somewhere that they may install much better on a fresh prefix.

Iggy64

#19 Post by Iggy64 »

Apparently, I now have Noteliner running well in Ubuntu 11.10, under Wine. For me, the critical steps were:

Start with a fresh Wine prefix (this appears to be very important).

Then, from the terminal
winetricks dotnet20 (the .NET framework required by Noteliner)

and then
winetricks vcrun2005 (the Visual C runtime required by Noteliner).

After that, a simple
wine Noteliner.exe
launched the portable app.

My earlier attempts to install .NET and Visual C directly with the Windows distributions (using Wine) did not provide a usable prefix. Neither did copying the required dlls from my Windows machine. Only the winetricks approach was successful, and only with a fresh prefix.

I have not yet tested every aspect of Noteliner in Ubuntu, but all the basic stuff is running fine, and I haven't found any glitches yet.

I like Noteliner as a simple one-pane outliner. There are not many of these around, especially for Linux.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. They all helped me start learning about portable apps and Linux.

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: The program was updated last back in 2011 according to Softpedia, but it's still nice.

It takes a little getting used to but it works great in my tests on Win7x64.

smaragdus

#21 Post by smaragdus »

Noteliner is not portable- it writes massively to registry and I had to delete a lot of registry keys. I wonder why this thread has not been moved to Freeware That Are Not Portable sub-forum.

The web-site is gone, it can be viewed at the internet archive.

The last released version of Noteliner is 3.6.3b.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Noteliner is not portable- it writes massively to registry and I had to delete a lot of registry keys. I wonder why this thread has not been moved to Freeware That Are Not Portable sub-forum.
Whoops. I just assumed it was portable. All set.

smaragdus

#23 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
Thanks.

TalkOrBell

#24 Post by TalkOrBell »

Not able to DL from Wayback Machine but found the 3.6.3b here-

https://download.cnet.com/Noteliner/300 ... 28353.html

webfork

#25 Post by webfork »

TalkOrBell wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:59 pm Not able to DL from Wayback Machine but found the 3.6.3b here-

https://download.cnet.com/Noteliner/300 ... 28353.html
Thanks for that -- I didn't maintain a copy on my system and I was unable to find another mirror so I guess download.com is the only available location. If anyone has a copy locally or hashes of the included files, please post.

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Some of the links in this thread no longer seem to be working so posting a Softpedia mirror: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... iner.shtml ... which seems to suggest the last update was 2011.