New at NirSoft

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Specular

Re: New at NirSoft

#361 Post by Specular »

One thing I'd say about the FolderChangesView entry is it can't be found in PFDB searches using the queries 'monitor files' or 'monitor changes' which lead me to look into other programs that did show up in results (despite even thinking to myself it would have been nice if Nirsoft had something for this, coincidentally).

Was only by chance that I stumbled upon it elsewhere and then popped the name into the PFDB and sure enough it was there all along. Was under the impression the Keywords field of entries is meant for only alternate program spellings, and not sure the entry blurb needs to be changed, so what would be ideal way to increase this entry's visibility for searches for those keywords?

webfork

#362 Post by webfork »

Specular wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:18 pm Was only by chance that I stumbled upon it elsewhere and then popped the name into the PFDB and sure enough it was there all along. Was under the impression the Keywords field of entries is meant for only alternate program spellings, and not sure the entry blurb needs to be changed, so what would be ideal way to increase this entry's visibility for searches for those keywords?
Yeah this is a real problem for small sites: searching hasn't improved dramatically over the last 10 years so finding what you want can take a lot of time. I do try to include some misspellings just in case, but mostly I try to come up with items people might type into our search. Still, often the best way is to use an external engine with "site:portablefreeware.com searchterm." What we can do as editors is add it to other entries as "Similar / Alternative Apps" and make sure it's listed in the correct directory (e.g. Files - Change Detection).

I went ahead and added some additional keywords to the entry.

billon

#363 Post by billon »

WinUpdatesView - Windows Updates History Viewer
WinUpdatesView is a simple tool that displays the history of Windows updates on your system. WinUpdatesView can load the Windows updates history from your local system, using API, and it can also read and parse the Windows updates database file (DataStore.edb) from external drive or from remote computer on your network.
For every Windows update history record, WinUpdatesView displays the following fields: Title, Description, Install Date, Update Operation (Install, Uninstall, Not Started, In Progress), Operation Result (Succeeded, Succeeded With Errors, Failed, Aborted), Category, Information URL, Support URL, Uninstall Notes, Client Application ID, Service ID, Update ID, Revision Number, Unmapped Result Code, Server Selection, hResult.

billon

WinUpdatesView

#364 Post by billon »

Special

#365 Post by Special »

Really highlights how much fail MS is when it comes to updates, mine go almost all Succeeded, Aborted, Succeeded, Aborted, in that pattern...

billon

#366 Post by billon »

MobileFileSearch
MobileFileSearch is a tool for Windows that allows you to search files inside a mobile device (Smartphone or Tablet) plugged to the USB port on your computer, with Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). You can search files by their size, their created time, their modified time, or their name (using wildcard).
After finding the files on your Smartphone / Tablet, you can optionally delete them, copy them to a folder on your computer, or export the files list to csv/tab-delimited/html/xml/JSON file.

MobileFileSearch also allows you to activate the search from command-line and then export the result to a file, or copy the found files to the desired folder on your computer.

Special

#367 Post by Special »

What's the literal point of that program... I think someone is running out of ideas here.

billon

MobileFileSearch

#368 Post by billon »

webfork

#369 Post by webfork »

Special wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:46 pm What's the literal point of that program... I think someone is running out of ideas here.
I suspect (if you're talking about the moble search tool) that this is a response to the way MTP tends to be somewhat light on info. It doesn't work like standard filesystems. I think Nirsoft saw that he could use his existing file output toolset to give that a more detail. I don't currently have an Android to test it's usefulness.

Related: another thread discussing MTP.

billon

#370 Post by billon »

Special wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 am
BrowserDownloadsView
BrowserDownloadsView
BrowserDownloadsView is a tool for Windows that displays the details of downloaded files of Chrome and Firefox Web browsers. For every download, the following information is displayed: Filename, Download URL, Web Page URL, Start Time, End Time, Download Duration, Download Size, Web Browser, and more...
BrowserDownloadsView allows you to load the downloads list from your current running system (your user or all user profiles), from remote computer on your network , and from external hard drive.
After BrowserDownloadsView loads the downloads list, you can select one or more downloads and then export them to comma-delimited/tab-delimited/html5/xml/JSON file or calculate the MD5/SHA1/SHA256/SHA512 hash of the downloaded files.

billon

BrowserDownloadsView

#371 Post by billon »

billon

Re: Nirsoft - CountryTraceRoute and MaxMind Geo DataBase

#372 Post by billon »

__philippe wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:36 am the new streamlined MaxMind GeoIP2 format
However:
https://blog.maxmind.com/2019/12/18/sig ... databases/
Starting December 30, 2019, we will be requiring users of our GeoLite2 databases to register for a MaxMind account and obtain a license key in order to download GeoLite2 databases.

Starting December 30, 2019, downloads will no longer be served from our public GeoLite2 page, from geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/*, or from any other public URL.

__philippe

#373 Post by __philippe »

Maxmind GeoLite2 DB new registration requirement

@Billon Thanks for the heads-up

This new requirement does somewhat complicate DB updates download procedures by compelling users to first register and obtain a license key,
but at least registering is still free, so far... :roll:

And for lazybones (like me), older GeoLite2 DB (circa SEP 2019) do just fine as they are... :wink:

Special

PropertySystemView

#374 Post by Special »

NirBlog
View and modify file properties with PropertySystemView tool
PropertySystemView is a new tool that allows you view and modify the properties of a file from GUI and command-line, using the property system of Windows operating system.
For example, you can use this tool to modify the ‘Media Created’ timestamp stored in .mp4 and .mov files , ‘Date Taken’ stored inside .jpg files, ‘Content Created’ and ‘Date Last Saved’ values stored in Microsoft Office files (Word and Excel), Title, Authors, Comments, Tags, ‘Last Saved By’, and many other properties…
PropertySystemView also allows you to set properties of Windows. For example, you can set the System.AppUserModel.ID property of a window in order to disable the taskbar grouping of the specified window.

PropertySystemView v1.00

billon

PropertySystemView

#375 Post by billon »