LibreOffice plans for paid for editions?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.

webfork

Re: LibreOffice plans for paid for editions?

#2 Post by webfork »

I'm not thrilled but I do feel a bit like I've been getting away with something for years now. I gave LO 50 bucks a few years ago but it's definitely saved a lot more time and money than that in the intervening time. Multiple companies I've worked for have also benefited from increased productivity, a more compatible output, and more stable software associated with the mature and very stable toolset. My last company had so many buggy Word documents it was almost a running joke. I moved numerous docs from the Word version into LO and just never told anyone.

As the article exhaustively explains, this was not well communicated but few open projects seem very good at that.

Whatever they come up with, I probably will just keep using whatever delayed free version they produce and donate separately to the project. I don't like coming on here and talking about features of whatever program or tool that can't be immediately accessed by anyone else.

I also appreciate primary reasoning -- that they had a lot of corporate involvement early on and were able to hire a lot of people and then when that diminished they had to cut their team back down. From experience, there are some nice FOSS component programs out there like Gnumeric for spreadsheets and ONLYOFFICE has a nice presentation tool, but there really is nothing else I've seen that comes even close to the included Draw and Writer tools.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:I don't like coming on here and talking about features of whatever program or tool that can't be immediately accessed by anyone else.

Ditto.

juverax

#4 Post by juverax »

... Understanding the cost of free software ....
https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/16/ ... ly_broken/

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Very interesting read, thanks

thepiney

#6 Post by thepiney »

I was just reading some comments on this over at the Distrowatch site --> https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 0#comments

One of the commenters mentioned that article at theregister as well.

I have moved a lot of people over to using LO over the years and OpenOffice before that. I've seen issues when some have wanted to share with others using MS Office but for the most part the users have liked it. Some of the people I recommended it to were using older paid and/or free alternatives or using pirated copies of MS Office, although they usually didn't admit that and this stopped that practice. Also, part of the reason for me pushing LO was that I moved a lot of those users to Linux and it's included in most distros anyway.