qTox - secure instant messaging

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: qTox 1.8.1

#31 Post by smaragdus »

I couldn't update the database entry properly because the x64 download link (https://build.tox.chat/view/qtox/job/qT ... elease.zip) does not fit the box (Download URL for 64-bit:).

qTox all builds.

__philippe

Re: qTox - secure instant messaging

#32 Post by __philippe »

Terse workaround : https://tinyurl.com/ ...;-)

billon

#33 Post by billon »

@Andrew Lee:

Looks like entries' DL links can't take more than 150 symbols. Can you increase it?

smaragdus

Re: qTox

#34 Post by smaragdus »

@__philippe
Yes, the workaround you suggested would work but I do not use URL shorteners at this site because I do believe that here all the links should be transparent. Usually I only use URL shorteners with Twitter and when links look absolutely horrible and only when I send stuff to people who know me well and who trust me.

Edit
I am not familiar with Jenkins but for a layman like me it looks like a real mess. Perhaps it is that just qTox uses Jenkins in a untidy way? Maybe SYSTEM can throw some light. I am sorry that qTox developers use the Releases Page only for the source code. There seems to be a newer version (1.9.0) of qTox but it doesn't seem to be a stable one.

Edit
I tested uTox (version 0.15.0 released on 2017.04.23), it still cannot be made portable and compared to Isotoxin and qTox it looks poor. For me even Toxygen is better and the developer has promised that in the next version video calls will be finally supported.

SYSTEM

#35 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote: I am not familiar with Jenkins but for a layman like me it looks like a real mess. Perhaps it is that just qTox uses Jenkins in a untidy way? Maybe SYSTEM can throw some light.
I am familiar with Jenkins, and it's indeed supposed to look like that. Jenkins is intended for developers, not end users.

It is rare for open source projects to host the binaries ("artifacts" in Continuos Integration speak) directly in a CI system like Jenkins. Usually project members download the binaries from the CI and upload them somewhere else (like GitHub releases) where end users can then download them.

QTox developers have set up a redirect to the right URL, which is significantly shorter...

https://qtox-win.pkg.tox.chat/qtox/win3 ... d-portable

...but it hasn't been updated for 1.9.0.
smaragdus wrote: I am sorry that qTox developers use the Releases Page only for the source code. There seems to be a newer version (1.9.0) of qTox but it doesn't seem to be a stable one.
From what I can tell, 1.9.0 is stable since it's mentioned in GitHub releases.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

smaragdus

#36 Post by smaragdus »

@SYSTEM

Thanks for the information you provided about Jenkins.

Updating the database entry of qTox is a pain. I downloaded from the stable branch the binaries (x86 & x86-64), the installers (x86 & x86-64) and ran the four of them- they are all version 1.8.1- version files also show the same version number. However the change log does not mention version 1.8.1 at all. All download links from the GitHub page point at version 1.8.1 and more- the download link for the x32 archive version results in HTTP ERROR 404. There is one major difference between the installer versions and the archive versions- "qtox-updater.exe" is not included in the latter and it is which shows that the latest version is 1.9.0, which is not available in the stable branch. For me this is a real mess. Trying to follow the qTox updates is cumbersome.

jtr8

#37 Post by jtr8 »

You can grab the 1.9.0 version here. Just download the nightly one.

I tested uTox (version 0.15.0 released on 2017.04.23), it still cannot be made portable
Start uTox as follows:

Code: Select all

uTox.exe --portable

smaragdus

Re: qTox/uTox

#38 Post by smaragdus »

@jtr8
jtr8 wrote:You can grab the 1.9.0 version here. Just download the nightly one.

I tested uTox (version 0.15.0 released on 2017.04.23), it still cannot be made portable
Start uTox as follows:

Code: Select all

uTox.exe --portable
First, welcome to the forum.

Is version 1.9.0 nightly or stable?

Thank you for the start parameter you provided- I confirm that it works- settings saved in tox_save.tox and utox_save files inside Tox sub-folder in program folder. Before I tested uTox I searched both its website and its GitHub page but I didn't find any information how to run uTox in portable mode.

jtr8

#39 Post by jtr8 »

@ smaragdus
Well, it seems by the looks of it that the 1.9 version has been released as stable on Linux only. The Windows version is beeing updated as Nightlies though.
It is serving me very well if you ask me. Just give it a whirl ;)

Andrew Lee

#40 Post by Andrew Lee »

billon wrote:@Andrew Lee:

Looks like entries' DL links can't take more than 150 symbols. Can you increase it?
Done! Increased to 200.

jtr8

#41 Post by jtr8 »

qTox version 1.9 has gone stable, you can get it here.

smaragdus

Re: Tox specification

#42 Post by smaragdus »

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

So the entry downloads appear to be offline (thanks billon). I've added a note to the entry.

Also: https://github.com/qTox/qTox/issues/4916

webfork

#44 Post by webfork »

The latest version was released a few days ago but I'm not seeing a portable (ZIP) version. https://github.com/qTox/qTox/releases/tag/v1.17.2

EDIT: looks like they moved that to the installation: qTox supports portable mode, which can be enabled in advanced settings. Portable mode saves & loads profile & settings from the working directory, i.e. from where qTox has been launched.

https://github.com/qTox/qTox/wiki/Profile

I'll try to update the entry in the days ahead.

webfork

#45 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm I'll try to update the entry in the days ahead.
I tried a few ways to do the install process, but settled on a uniextract step, which gets around an admin requirement.