Siren (advanced filesystem renamer)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Rémi

Siren 3.14

#16 Post by Rémi »

Siren 3.14

Siren 3.14 has been released today.
It is listed here.

The updates are :
+ File type "auto detection" for wrong or unknown file extensions
+ Monitor changes of current directory
+ Support of some new file types
* Bugs corrections
* Minor modifications

Regards

SYSTEM

Re: Siren 3.14

#17 Post by SYSTEM »

Checker has updated the entry. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

Siren (advanced filesystem renamer)

#18 Post by Midas »

I just realized Siren (http://scarabee-software.net/en/siren.html) has no official forum topic.

TPFC database entry (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1315) points to Teddybear1974NL original mention in a tentative portable programs list posted over ten years ago (viewtopic.php?t=1872).

In my experience Siren is one of the most powerful file renamers. It's multi-platform FLOSS software released under the GPL3, provides both GUI and CLI functionality, has always been natively portable and part of my default toolset like forever.

So, although Siren has not seen any new development since 2013, here's a post about it intended mostly to become the official forum topic.

Siren is a file renaming program

Siren last release (currently v3.14 dated 2013-12-27) can be downloaded from http://scarabee-software.net/en/download.html.

Midas

Re: Siren (advanced filesystem renamer)

#19 Post by Midas »

While debating CLI renamer functionality, TP109 provided some good working info regarding Siren (check viewtopic.php?p=96866#p96866).

This prompted me to make available the content of some files I had laying around, extracted from Siren's online help and program interface, which I posted there as reply.

But I think they make a lot more sense in a dedicated thread, so here they are again:

I'll just quote myself regarding the content of the second link:

Includes a FAQ, the CLI parameters help output and 13 very detailed case examples.

All credit and praise to Rémi Pascal, Siren's author.

TP109

#20 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:35 pm In my experience Siren is one of the most powerful file renamers.
Agree. Has ton's of features with almost limitless renaming options. Very fast. The interface opens and quits so quickly it can't be seen when executing a command. Certainly among the most advanced renamers out there. Not intuitive or newbie friendly though.

TP109

#21 Post by TP109 »

I found that the filter box on Siren's GUI doesn't work, at least 99.9% of the time, it's very buggy - at least on my system. However, filtering does work from the command line. Even the example filters provided by the developer won't filter the file list in the GUI.

I tested the /I and /p switches for loading .ini configuration files and can confirm that the /p switch does work, for example, "siren /p myconfigfile.ini". The /l switch causes the program to start, but it's very slow and eventually just loads the default config file, "siren.ini".

Siren Rev 3.14 tested Tested on XP

Midas

#22 Post by Midas »

That sets it then -- I'll just correct my file to show "/p" instead of "/l".

And now that I'm doing it, I notice the latest version "man page" states "/l" is there to load a different language... so, no wonder it doesn't work as described in what is surely an earlier version of the FAQ. :no_mouth: