Need Suggestions for my program

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Zach Thibeau

Need Suggestions for my program

#1 Post by Zach Thibeau »

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/simply ... g_mirror=0
===================================
hey guys Just made a simple text editor and just want your guys opinion on what I could do to improve it (mind you this is my first project written in c so don't ask for rediculous amounts of features you think might be useful unless your willing to either wait or help out coding)
Last edited by Zach Thibeau on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hank7

#2 Post by Hank7 »

Hey thibeaz, nice work.

I tried to open Shakespeare's Complete Works from Project Gutenberg (5.32 MB), and it was much faster than MS Notepad.

Suggestions:

1) "Open with" does not work yet, the same applies for draggin'n'droppin' a text file on the executable as well as opening a file via command line.

2) Word wrap & pretty much everything else already supported by MS Notepad.

Nh

#3 Post by Nh »

No unicode support? It's the year 2008 now.

Zach Thibeau

#4 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Hank7 wrote:Hey thibeaz, nice work.

I tried to open Shakespeare's Complete Works from Project Gutenberg (5.32 MB), and it was much faster than MS Notepad.

Suggestions:

1) "Open with" does not work yet, the same applies for draggin'n'droppin' a text file on the executable as well as opening a file via command line.

2) Word wrap & pretty much everything else already supported by MS Notepad.
Thanks as for Drag and Drop thats still a work in progress as for word wrap I got that fixed but the thing it's on all the time and no way to disable it.
NH wrote: No unicode support? It's the year 2008 now.
and the reason I don't support unicode as 1. This is my first C Project, 2. I dunno how. (and plus I am going to make it OS Platformable ;) plus I made an sf project for this and it is http://sourceforge.net/projects/simplytext/

nycjv321

WoW

#5 Post by nycjv321 »

thibeaz! you p@wn! good luck in learning how to program in C! the sky is the limit ;)

Zach Thibeau

Re: WoW

#6 Post by Zach Thibeau »

nycjv321 wrote:thibeaz! you p@wn! good luck in learning how to program in C! the sky is the limit ;)
Thanks nycjv321, thats a great comment :)

nickoftime

#7 Post by nickoftime »

thibeaz,

This is a great start - I praise your effort.

I would suggest adding some basic notepad functionality (find, replace, copy etc...) as a good starting point. As you progress, you can add icons, tabbing, and maybe a spell checker.

As you work through the project, please keep in mind that you want the keep app size small and most importantly, portable with no registry keys :) Also, dlls, config files, etc. should all reside together in the same directory as the exe.

If you need some help, you can reach out to the authors of other text editors posted on this site; I'm sure some of these authors would be happy to help you - they are a good bunch.

If you ever need a someone to test usability and functionality, just let me know :)

Good Luck!

Nick

Zach Thibeau

thanks

#8 Post by Zach Thibeau »

nickoftime wrote:thibeaz,

This is a great start - I praise your effort.

I would suggest adding some basic notepad functionality (find, replace, copy etc...) as a good starting point. As you progress, you can add icons, tabbing, and maybe a spell checker.
The Copy and Paste functions are accessible in the context menu as for the main menu options thats a different story but one thats on the work though

As you work through the project, please keep in mind that you want the keep app size small and most importantly, portable with no registry keys :) Also, dlls, config files, etc. should all reside together in the same directory as the exe.

If you need some help, you can reach out to the authors of other text editors posted on this site; I'm sure some of these authors would be happy to help you - they are a good bunch.

If you ever need a someone to test usability and functionality, just let me know :)

Good Luck!

Nick
thanks I'll keep that in mind ;)

Zach Thibeau

:D

#9 Post by Zach Thibeau »

New Version Available 0.1.3 is uploaded and is ready for testing
(Still no drag and drop or fancy features, I promise thats coming as soon as I read more about C)