Free & Portable Checksum Tools [file hashing utilities]

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
I am Baas

Free & Portable Checksum Tools [file hashing utilities]

#1 Post by I am Baas »

1. Chaos MD5 (available in a unicode & non-unicode versions)
Chaos MD5 is a free MD5 generator for Windows. Input or drag-and-drop any file into this free program and it will generate a MD5 checksum for that file. That simply means it generates a unique signature for each and every file. Chaos MD5 is able to generate the MD5 hash for a string of text also. That is a very handy tool for anyone to create a password hash.
2. FileVerifier++
FileVerifier++ is a Win32 application for verifying the integrity of files. FileVerifier supports various algorithms by means of dynamically loadable hash libraries.
Download the zip package @ http://www.programmingunlimited.net/sit ... v#download

3. MD5 Checksum Tool
MD5 ChecksumTool is an application designed to allows users to generate the file checksum (MD5 Hash) of any file or string. It can also be useful to check if an executable file is legit. It is possible to scan all files of a folder with subfolders selectable (Recursive) and create a report with file checksum (MD5) of all files with filename and file size. Other features are to compare a file with an MD5 hash and compare two files with file checksum.

Very easy to use with drag & drop of files and folders.
Download @ http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/file ... _setup.exe (unixtract the installer and delete un-necessary language files)

hashing hasher hash md5 sha crc sfv

webfork

Re: Free & Portable Checksum Tools

#2 Post by webfork »

Tested out MD5 Checksum Tool. Nice program that combines the features of a lot of smaller hash programs including a recursive checksum creator, but no recursive checksum verifier. You can't use it to check an entire folder for changes or corruption.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

@I am Baas - why you not considered adding these to TPFC? MD5 Checksum Tool is a very competitive MD5 checksum tool!

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Bumping for relevance, I'm posting here a good related write-up I came across recently:
Some related forum topics (feel free to add your own):
Last but not least, there is also this "Intro to file posting accessories" by our dear mod (viewtopic.php?p=81776)...

__philippe

#5 Post by __philippe »

Two of the smallest footprint, yet quite decent hash checkers:

PocketHash v1.03 (48kb)
Rob Keir's Hash v1.04 (28kb)

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:How To Protect Your Photos From Bit Rot
Nice.

A few notes on the link you posted:

1. That article seems like more of an argument for Multipar rather than checksum tools. If files on your machine are corrupting by just a bit or two, it's better to have data redundancy rather than data verification. While I like the idea of file verification running and being notified if something's amiss, I do think daily checks are unnecessary and maybe wasteful. Once a week or once a month seems a lot more worthwile.

2. Did I miss where the script he built is located? It didn't seem like he published it.

Kudos seeing someone putting hashing and verification into a system that's actively solving problems.

---

On a related note, I feel like this deserves it's own thread. Should I push it?

smaragdus

#7 Post by smaragdus »

An addition to Midas and __philippe entries:

CRCDropper (viewtopic.php?t=23200)

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

Other worthy additions not previously mentioned:
And a good intro article with some nifty Powershell tips:

Midas

Re: CLI hashing script

#9 Post by Midas »

[Mod note: post moved here from hashdeep topic, where it was somehwhat off-topic...]

Improving on my own previous solution, here's a hybrid batch script that works in Windows 7 and doesn't require any external utility, only an existing Powershell v4 or newer -- as it seems that 'get-filehash' command doesn't work in previous versions. I was lead to this solution from the simple validating instructions in RegistryFinder homepage.

If you create a plain text file named 'shash.cmd' with the following code and drop any other file from the same folder on it, it will create the corresponding hash in a file with the 'md5' extension (alternatively, you can use 'shash filename.ext' at the CLI). I often use such files to validate downloads using Teracopy's shell extension, if an hash is available online (e.g., as in the case of AndroidFileHost.com).

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
REM Sidecar MD5 hashing script v0.1 by Midas (http://v.ht/md5PS: 2018-10-08)
POWERSHELL "get-filehash %1 -Algorithm md5 | ForEach-Object { $_.Hash }" > _tmp_
SET /P _hash=<_tmp_
DEL _tmp_
ECHO %_hash% *%~nx1> "%~n1.md5"
Please note that this will also work for SHA1, SHA256, SHA384, and SHA512 if all instances of "md5" in the code above are replaced with the appropriate algorithm string.

PS: I know there are more elegant ways to pass the result of the first command directly to a variable, but I found none simpler than using a temporary file. Suggestions welcome.

Midas

Re: Free & Portable Checksum Tools [file hashing utilities]

#10 Post by Midas »

Quick note with a couple additional links for CLI only hashing utilities.
See also webfork's write-up on "Hashing use cases": viewtopic.php?t=23418.

Midas

Re: CLI hashing script (was "hashdeep/md5deep...")

#11 Post by Midas »

[Mod note: post moved here from hashdeep topic, where it was somehwhat off-topic.]

A further hashing script I patched together that doesn't require an updated Powershell...

Code: Select all

:: Sidecar MD5 hashing script v0.2 by Midas (2019-10-29)
:: Creates Teracopy v2.x compatible sidecar MD5 hash files
:: WARNING! Won't work if filename contains "&" or other special characters

@ECHO OFF
certutil -v -hashfile %1 MD5 | find /v "MD5" | find /v "CertUtil" > tmp_hash
SET /P hash=<tmp_hash
SET hash=%hash: =%
ECHO:%hash% *%~nx1> "%~n1".md5
DEL tmp_hash

webfork

Re: CLI hashing script (was "hashdeep/md5deep...")

#12 Post by webfork »

[Mod note: post moved here from hashdeep topic, where it was somehwhat off-topic.]

I've been running into a lot of Powershell scripts lately as there's some nice Windows automation tools in that neighborhood. Unfortunately every environment I end up in has disabled the Powershell toolset, I assume for security reasons. Is there a workaround that doesn't involve interfacing with IT?

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:49 am See also webfork's write-up on "Hashing use cases": viewtopic.php?t=23418.
:) thanks

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote: Unfortunately every environment I end up in has disabled the Powershell toolset, I assume for security reasons. Is there a workaround that doesn't involve interfacing with IT?

See my second script above, the one using certutil, which although more limited (see the note on special characters) might be just what you want. :)

Midas

Re: hashdeep/md5deep (CLI hashing utilities)

#15 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote: I've been running into a lot of Powershell scripts lately as there's some nice Windows automation tools in that neighborhood. Unfortunately every environment I end up in has disabled the Powershell toolset, I assume for security reasons. Is there a workaround that doesn't involve interfacing with IT?

@webfork: After all this time, it just dawned on me that the cause of your problem might in fact be just the default Powershell settings -- counter-intuitively, prior to running any scripts on an untouched Powershell, it's mandatory to change Set-ExecutionPolicy. :!:

Valid values: Restricted
Do not load configuration files or run scripts. This is the default...

A RemoteSigned policy is the usual recommended setting.