Amphora - Youtube to audio or video downloader

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
flatfly

Amphora - Youtube to audio or video downloader

#1 Post by flatfly »

Amphora provides an extremely simple and convenient way to access Youtube and save currently playing content as audio (M4A) or video (MP4) in the blink of an eye. All processing is done locally - no shady third-party services.
Homepage: https://www.metasudo.com/amphora/
Portable download: https://www.metasudo.com/amphora/downlo ... ra-win.zip
Last edited by flatfly on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

Re: Amphora - Youtube to audio or video downloader

#2 Post by Midas »

I got a puzzling warning upon running it and Amphora's spartan interface left me wondering how to work with it... no menu of any sort on left or right-click, nor any clickable element, just a window displaying the shortcuts.

Then I read Amphora's homepage... :)
  • Powered by youtube-dl

After that, it slowly dawned on me that Amphora is browser based and keyboard driven -- you open it, press 'CTRL+H' and get Youtube's local start page (which, in my case, is filled with utterly unwatchable garbage), search for a video in the embedded search field and once it starts, you press 'CTRL[+SHIFT]+Y' to download to the system assigned 'Downloads' folder.

Not the most intuitive operation, but it works OK. Pasting the video URL in a CLI with Youtube-dl is more straightforward, but that's me...

I couldn't find any settings, but I didn't do a thorough check, either.

Great program name, BTW. Cool find, flatfly. 8)

flatfly

#3 Post by flatfly »

@Midas That's weird, the Amphora GUI on my system looks quite different from your screenshots. The icon and fonts are different, and I do have clickable buttons (see below). Did you test it under Windows XP, by any chance? FWIW, I am running Windows 10 (1809 update).

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

I am running 64-bit Windows 7 with customized XP look. :)

Marc

#5 Post by Marc »

Nice..
I'm going a bit off topic, but is somehow related and something for which I don't have the fix: Is there any way to conveniently record a youtube live stream? in separated tracks using the track metadata? Maybe that could a be a useful addition in the future.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Marc wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm Nice..
I'm going a bit off topic, but is somehow related and something for which I don't have the fix: Is there any way to conveniently record a youtube live stream? in separated tracks using the track metadata? Maybe that could a be a useful addition in the future.
There are certainly better ways that don't result in re-compression, but you could likely grab the stream with OBS as a screen recorder.

Marc

#7 Post by Marc »

webfork wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:03 am There are certainly better ways that don't result in re-compression, but you could likely grab the stream with OBS as a screen recorder.
Interesting idea.. :wink:

flatfly

#8 Post by flatfly »

Looks like the latest version is no longer keyboard-driven and sports nice self-explanatory buttons :)

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Marc wrote: Is there any way to conveniently record a youtube live stream? in separated tracks using the track metadata? Maybe that could a be a useful addition in the future.
Although I haven't looked, I'm sure the underlying youtube-dl CLI utility will be able to do that. :|