Monochrome - IRC client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
zmni

Monochrome - IRC client

#1 Post by zmni »

Hello, long time lurker first time poster here. Just want to share this software I found while searching for ultra minimalist irc client. It's from the developer of foobar2000 & Boom.

Synopsis
Monochrome is an IRC client intended for long-time IRC users.
Its primary goals are security, reliability and stability despite IRC network failures or connectivity problems.

If you have not used IRC before, you should probably look for another client; Monochrome is currently lacking documentation and assumes the user to have basic knowledge of common IRC commands and conventions.
Main features:
  • Reliable automatic identification with NickServ on most popular IRC networks.
  • Full Unicode support.
  • Sending and receiving of DCC file transfers, with auto-accept whitelist.
  • Ignore and half-ignore lists.
  • Trigger word list.
  • Auto-away, monitoring of away state of other users.
  • Logging.
  • Customizable command aliases.
  • Variety of entertaining easter eggs!
Noteworthy features currently missing:
  • Complete color code support - only rendering in channels, queries and status windows is supported.
  • Scripting - though functionality such as identifying with NickServ is automated, so there's no major need for running custom scripts.
  • Help and documentation.
System requirements:
  • Windows XP or newer.
  • .NET framework 4.x.
License:
GNU General Public License, version 2

Portability:
Create empty MonochromeConfig.xml in the same directory as the exe file or it will use %AppData%\Monochrome.

Links:
Current version: 1.2.3, released on 2017-02-02.
https://perkele.cc/software/monochrome - website & download page
https://perkele.cc/download/monochrome.exe - direct download link
https://perkele.cc/download/monochrome-source.zip - source code link

Screenshots:

smaragdus

Re: Monochrome

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@zmni
Welcome to the forum. A very good first post, cheers. Thank you for the tip about 'MonochromeConfig.xml'- long ago I briefly tested Monochrome and at that time I didn't consider it portable because I did not now that moving the XML file from AppData to program folder (or creating an empty one in program folder) would work. When I have time I may have another look at the program but currently I am overwhelmed with other tasks. Please do not hesitate to review portable programs here- some prolific good old posters are gone now (most likely- for good, unfortunately) and the forum lacks reviewers. I appreciate any efforts to contribute to the community so I am glad that you are no longer just a lurker but a poster too.