Advanced but lightweight WYSIWYG HTML editor

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
palacs

Advanced but lightweight WYSIWYG HTML editor

#1 Post by palacs »

Dear All,

I'm looking for a portable freeware WYSIWYG HTML editor. It should be similar to HtmlDocEdit but should be able to deal with tables, cell formatting, cell background colors, paragraph and image formatting and advanced outline features. The most important thing is that I should be able to copy-paste from it into the compose window of a mailer (like Outlook Express) without losing any HTML formatting (Windows clipboard supports this). It should be however lightweight, not bloated (like Nvu) and must run on Windows XP. Not a problem if it depends on Internet Explorer but it should work together with Internet Explorer not newer than 6.0 (unlike e.g. PageBreeze).

Do you know anything like this?

webfork

Re: Advanced but lightweight WYSIWYG HTML editor

#2 Post by webfork »

I still use KompoZer from time to time but I've seen a number of tools like this over the years. I'll go through my notes on this and post about this soon.

Midas

Re: Lightweight WYSIWYG HTML editor

#3 Post by Midas »

BlockNote.Net isn't quite up to your full order (note the poor result in Softpedia's review) but handy for quickly composing HTML formatted content for emailing with MS OE, since it can export directly to MHT/EML.

Contrary to what the name implies, BlockNote doesn't require any DotNET framework and is portable after (Uni)extraction -- not sure about stealth, it's been some time since I used it...

In its former homepage (https://terrainformatica.com/) it has been replaced with a similar product called HTML-Notepad (which claims portability but that I haven't tested), but BlockNote is still available from Softpedia:

www.softpedia.com /get/Internet/WEB-Design/HTML-Editors/BlockNoteNet.shtml

palacs

#4 Post by palacs »

Thank you. BlockNote.Net seems promising but SoftPedia points to an external link that is broken.

I've contacted the author to ask for a copy. I will come back soon if I get a reply.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

I can send you my zipped copy, should that fail. :|

palacs

#6 Post by palacs »

I think it would be a better idea to make it publicly available again for anyone who's interested.

So please upload it to a file sharing site (MediaFire would be perfect).

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

I think this program might do something of what you're looking for:
http://www.freelabs.info/
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/ ... itor.shtml

.... seems to work with tables, reasonably lightweight, and I'd be surprised if it didn't work fine on XP.