EncryptPad - Minimalist secure text editor and binary encryptor (Open PGP format)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lintalist

EncryptPad - Minimalist secure text editor and binary encryptor (Open PGP format)

#1 Post by lintalist »

EncryptPad

Source: https://github.com/evpo/EncryptPad
Downloads: https://github.com/evpo/EncryptPad/releases/ (Windows, Linux, Mac OS)
EncryptPad is an application for viewing and editing symmetrically encrypted text. Using a simple and convenient graphical and command line interface, EncryptPad provides a tool for encrypting and decrypting binary files on disk while offering effective measures for protecting information, and it uses the most widely chosen quality file format OpenPGP RFC 4880. Unlike other OpenPGP software which main purpose is asymmetric encryption, the primary focus of EncryptPad is symmetric encryption.
Features
  • Symmetric encryption
  • Passphrase protection
  • Key file protection
  • Combination of passphrase and key file
  • Random key file generator
  • Key repository in a hidden directory in the user's home folder
  • Path to a key file can be stored in an encrypted file. If enabled, you do not need to specify the key file every time you open files.
  • Encryption of binary files (images, videos, archives etc.)
  • Read only mode to prevent accidental file modification
  • UTF8 text encoding
  • Windows/Unix configurable line endings
  • Customisable passphrase generator helps create strong random passphrases.
  • File format compatible with OpenPGP
  • Iterated and salted S2K
  • Passphrases are not kept in the memory for reuse, only S2K results (more ...)
  • Cipher algorithms: CAST5, TripleDES, AES128, AES256
  • Hash algorithms: SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512
  • Integrity protection: SHA-1
  • Compression: ZLIB, ZIP
  • Large multi-gigabyte files are supported
Supported platforms
  • Windows
  • Linux
  • Mac OS
Not stealth

Leaves the following folders/files in c:\Users\USERNAME\

_encryptpad\
encryptpad.ini
encryptpad.lnk

Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QtProject\OrganizationDefaults\FileDialog

Screenshot:

webfork

Re: EncryptPad - Minimalist secure text editor and binary encryptor (Open PGP format)

#2 Post by webfork »

Good post, thanks. I'm a little confused why the author went with GPG for encryption but didn't include at least the option for public key encryption. A nice replacement for GPG4USB.

You acknowledge it's not stealth, but do you know if it's portable or not? You posted this under discussion so I'm not sure where this sits on the spectrum.

License: GPLv2

lintalist

Re: EncryptPad - Minimalist secure text editor and binary encryptor (Open PGP format)

#3 Post by lintalist »

Yes it is portable
EncryptPad wrote:Portable binaries are available for Windows and macOS. They can be copied on a memory stick or placed on a network share.
I'm don't know much about encryption but thought it was nice it is multi-platform which may be useful to some.

smaragdus

Re: EncryptPad

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@lintalist

EncryptPad was in my review list, thank you for posting about it.

For me EncryptPad is not portable since its configuration file (encryptpad.ini) is saved in user profile folder:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\User\_encryptpad\encryptpad.ini
However it is portable in a broader sense being cross-platform.

Finally I found time to file a request for Portable Mode and I suppose that the developer, Evgeny Pokhilko, responded favourably.

If in the feature an option to run EncryptPad in portable mode is implemented I may add it to the database, of course you may do it yourself if you'd like since you are the original reviewer of the program.

rqqt

#5 Post by rqqt »

smaragdus wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:05 pm
For me EncryptPad is not portable since its configuration file (encryptpad.ini) is saved in user profile folder:

C:\Users\User\_encryptpad\encryptpad.ini
Not portable.

Also doesn't support ASCII armored text.

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

Since version 0.4.0.3 (Change Log & Release Notes) EncryptPad is portable (GitHub issue, Portable mode).

Instructions
  • Download the archive;
  • Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
  • Create an empty sub-folder

encryptpad_repository
    inside program folder;
  • Run the executable (encryptpad.exe);
  • Configuration file (encryptpad.ini) will be saved in encryptpad_repository sub-folder inside program folder;
Portable mode

EncryptPad checks the executable directory for a sub-directory called encryptpad_repository. If exists, it is used for key files and settings. The directory .encryptpad in the user's profile is then ignored. The EncryptPad executable and encryptpad_repository can both be copied to a removable media and used on multiple computers. It should be noted that keeping encrypted material with the key files on the same removable media is less secure. Separate them if possible.
Thanks to the developer - Evgeny Pokhilko for making it possible to use EncryptPad in portable mode!

@moderators
Please move this thread from Portable Freeware Discussion sub-forum to Portable Freeware Submission sub-forum.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Licence: GPLv2

As noted by rqqt, it doesn't support ascii-armored text, but that might change in the future. Regardless, this program is way ahead of so many other similar tools we have here on the site. I'll get it added to the database in the days ahead. Thanks smaragdus and lintalist.