I have been using f.lux for years- it works well but I have been considering to replace it with an alternative for a couple of reasons- it is not portable (and doesn't install in a desired location to boot) and its update prompts are extrenely annoing- as far as I know update check cannot be disabled. Two days ago I finally found time to test an open source and portable alternative- Redshift Tray, and since it behaves well I think I will dump f.lux for good.
FeaturesRedshift Tray is a no-frills GUI for the excellent screen temperature adjustment tool Redshift by Jon Lund Steffensen.
- Control Redshift based on location or custom night/day times
- Quickly enable/disable Redshift: double-click the tray icon
- Force a full nighttime temperature adjustment, no matter what the actual time is
- Pause the temperature adjustment for x minutes
- Adjust the screen brightness and forced temperature via hotkeys
- Optionally update your current coordinates every time you enable Redshift (e.g. when traveling)
- Use a fantastic set of extra hotkeys that have got nothing to do with Redshift
- Make use of Remote Desktop: Redshift hotkeys will stay active locally, while Redshift Tray can also run on the remote system for its optional hotkeys
Direct download link for Redshift Tray version 1.6.4 (released on 2018-06-13):
Redshift Tray version 1.6.4 - tray control:
Redshift Tray version 1.6.4 - program icon:
Redshift Tray is portable by design- sttings are saved in INI file (rstray.ini) inside program folder. Redshift Tray is also stealth- it does not write to AppData and to Windows registry. Don't use Autorun option to keep Redshift Tray portable:
InstructionsIf you'd like Redshift Tray to automatically run at startup, right-click the tray icon again and click Autorun under Settings, so that this option is checked. This setting just creates or removes a value in the registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
- Download the archive (redshift-tray_1.6.4.zip);
- Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
- Run the executable (rstray.exe);
I presume that Redshift Tray should run under Windows XP or higher.
Redshift Tray is licensed under GNU General Public License v3.0.
Redshift Tray is in active development- the latest version (as of 2018-06-16)- 1.6.4, was released on 2018-06-13.
Redshift Tray is lighter than f.lux- under Windows 8 x64 Redshift Tray version 1.6.4 uses about 10 MB of RAM while f.lux version 3.10 uses about 24 MB of RAM.
Redshift Tray is written in AutoHotkey.
Redshift Tray uses ipapi service for coordinates.
There is a different program with exactly the same name- Redshift Tray, which I have not tested. AlternativeTo erroneously mixes these two programs (icon of ltGuillaume - Redshift Tray, website and screens of Nepochal - Redshift Tray).
A couple of programs with similar functionality:
File detals for Redshift Tray version 1.6.4 (released on 2018-06-13):
File Size: 500878 Byte(s) (489.14 KB)
Modified Date: 2018-06-13 22:09