Favorite help file or site?

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Favorite help file or site?

#1 Post by webfork »

Seeking the best assistance

Part of my work in software both profession is a lot of writing and help guides. Almost all of my work is built on-the-fly and as-it-happens with very little time to polish documents, test for usability, and even find out of people are using them 6 months or a year later.

Then, some weeks ago I was trying to figure out how to jumpstart a Toyota Prius. As it turns out this is a non-simple procedure as the standard method does not work. Before you jump the car, you have to get to the battery in the back of the car. Before you get to the back of the car, you have to open the door. Before you open the back door, you need power. Madness!

It was at this point I came across how to open the trunk of your prius when the battery is dead. This was exactly beat-for-beat what I needed and was written in a clear and easy to follow way. It was a revelation after almost two days of confusing and incorrect help documentation online and that came with the car.

So that's how I discovered my new favorite help doc. What's yours? It could be something you come back to repeatedly, something really comprehensive, or just a guide who's style and clarity made everything so much easier and faster.
Last edited by webfork on Wed May 30, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (terrible wording)

SYSTEM

Re: Favorite help file or site?

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

My favorite help article is the Combined Community Codec Pack FAQ.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 am My favorite help article is the Combined Community Codec Pack FAQ.
Thanks -- looking through that now. Why was it your favorite?

__philippe

#4 Post by __philippe »

For all manner of tech specific questions, software-related or otherwise:
https://stackexchange.com/

Do take the time to formulate your question in very specific, precise terms,
you will often be rewarded with very specific, appropriate answers in matter of minutes.

Be warned, those expert tech folks do not suffer vague, ill-defined questions gladly...;-)

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 am
SYSTEM wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 am My favorite help article is the Combined Community Codec Pack FAQ.
Thanks -- looking through that now. Why was it your favorite?
In general because of how much information it provides, and because it keeps providing the reader multiple options to achieve things like QuickTime video playback. There is even that detailed comparison table of video renderers.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

thepiney

#6 Post by thepiney »

I've collected quite a few GB of guides/manuals over the years and many like you say are not always clear and concise. I've found that a lot of the guides from -> https://www.makeuseof.com/ have been very easy to follow and the site has long been one of my favorites for such.