Media Player - Settings per File

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Stoik

Media Player - Settings per File

#1 Post by Stoik »

After decades of using media players,
this is what I found to be the most underrated feature :
the ability to automatically save customized settings for each and every video file separately !

You are familiar with the scenario :
1. You obtain a bunch of videos.
2. You open the first one to check it out (how it looks like), for better viewing You tweak up brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.
3. You jump though a few videos like that (the "overview"), along the way You have change the settings for each video.
4. When You come back to Your first video to watch it, You have to optimize settings all over again. Darn !

But not so with SmPlayer !
It will automatically remember Your customized settings for each file. Priceless !

Do You guys know of any other media player that can automatically do this ?
I know, with some players (like KmPlayer, PotPlayer) You can manually save a new configuration,
but then You have to maintain this manually each time: go to "create new configuration",
type in a name (give it separate names), delete them later (to clean up), etc - not convenient at all.

Stoik

Re: Media Player - Settings per File

#2 Post by Stoik »

As I feared ...

There does not seem to be another player that can do that,
other than SmPlayer.

Some players can do "configuration presets",
but not save settings automatically per each file.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

I share your grief -- it's just a striking yet basic oversight... :(

Stoik

#4 Post by Stoik »

I got one !

Light Alloy (http://light-alloy.verona.im/) can do the same thing !

Although, they do not mention it anywhere in the features (they do not brag about it).

The individualized settings are saved for brightness, contrast, saturation, volume.

I do not know yet for how long these individual settings are kept, or how long/big this "recent files" history is,
but it is probably sufficient for a regular user.

shnbwmn

#5 Post by shnbwmn »

Stoik wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:08 pm I got one !

Light Alloy...
Beat me to it mate :)

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Stoik wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 amthe ability to automatically save customized settings for each and every video file separately
It's a fantastic idea. I've had a number of files that needed some form of tweaking to look right. Having a config file to go along with the hoops I had to jump through to get it playing correctly would be amazing. Even just enabling audio normalization and screen cropping would be huge.

Stoik

#7 Post by Stoik »

WebFork wrote:
Having a config file to go along with the hoops I had to jump through to get it playing correctly would be amazing.
SmPlayer saves these individualized (per video) config files in the sub-folder named "file_settings", whose location depends on the SmPlayer version that You have - it is, usually, roughly here "C:\Portable\Sm Player\Data\SmPlayer\file_settings" (in the portabilized version of SmPlayer).
WebFork wrote:
Even just enabling audio normalization and screen cropping would be huge.
SmPlayer can individually memorize the zoom factor, which I use as a work-around for screen cropping: I zoom in till a bit of the video is outside of my view (= roughly same as cropping). Three days later I come back to the video, and the desirable cropping is still there.

SmPlayer even has the wonderful function "auto-zoom": it automatically crops out the undesirable black margins which are added to some videos when resizing, or changing aspect ratios, etc. It means, You do not have to manually crop it out each time You watch the video.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

SmPlayer even has the wonderful function "auto-zoom": it automatically crops out the undesirable black margins which are added to some videos when resizing, or changing aspect ratios, etc. It means, You do not have to manually crop it out each time You watch the video.
Oh nice! I wish I'd known about that years ago.