SeaMonkey - browser, email, newsgroups, chat, HTML editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: SeaMonkey Portable

#31 Post by webfork »

That's very odd. I've contacted Andrew to see if something went wrong.

Good eye.

TP109

#32 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote:I noticed the comment made by user robertcollier4 that I referenced in my customization post (viewtopic.php?p=79837#p79837) is no longer available, so here's the transcript from the Internet Archive:
Thanks. Even if it ends up being a temporary error, duplicating information as a precautionary measure isn't wasted effort. I must have overlooked the original post, so I'm actually noticing this information for the first time.

Midas

#33 Post by Midas »

Here we go again... it seems the update check in SeaMonkey Portable doesn't work, the following official release info from the SeaMonkey project page notwithstanding.

author of https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.1/ wrote:
SeaMonkey 2.49.1
Automatic upgrades from previous versions are, for most configurations, disabled for this release. Please download the full installer from the downloads section and install SeaMonkey 2.49.1 manually over the previous version.

As I'm used to casually check for FF updates via the corresponding menu option, I was kinda stuck with v2.46 for a very long time. On the brighter side, most customizations I made to my previous version are still working in the latest one, with the following caveat applicable to 'Classic Firefox Theme for SeaMonkey':

Although the developer did updated it, the official addon page at addons.mozilla.org /en-US/seamonkey/addon/classic-firefox-theme-for-seam/ isn't reflecting it.

You have to look at his answer to reviews to notice this and the alternate URL for the download (should you wish to do so)...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/classic-firefox-theme-for-seam/reviews/#review-1024222 wrote:
I have updated the new version 0.0.22 a month ago but it isn't listed in the versions list and the reupload attempt ends with 'version 0.0.22 already exists' error !? Have no idea, what's wrong. Will send the feed to the AMO people.

Until solved, please find the temporary download of the SM 2.49.1 compatible version here (tested only on W8.1 and WXP, linux should work too):
pakokopa.szm.com/downloads/classic-firfox-theme-0.0.22-sm.xpi

webfork

#34 Post by webfork »

During the whole Meltdown craziness, this is the wrong time for an update functionality to break.

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

Anyone can tell me what's the name of (or how to to disable) those toggle strips so characteristic of SeaMonkey? I have been trying to recall that for days to no avail...

At one time I had those disabled -- as you can see by the screenshot last posted -- but now I can't seem to do it or find the recipe I followed previously and the OCD is killing me... :roll:

Midas wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:56 amAn even simpler (albeit completely counter-intuitive) route is available. If while going to be "Mozilla Add-ons" webpage you get a message like the one displayed below, you can still go ahead and click the "Download Anyway" link and follow suit to install it -- the worst that can happen is you will get a non-working extension, which you can easily remove via Seamonkey's 'Add-ons Manager' interface.
And apparently, this isn't true anymore -- I don't see any such option when I visit https://addons.mozilla.org/, only the ugly green button below...

You can solve that with a hack by the author of the online addon conversion utility -- http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/. Install this SeaMonkey specific addon: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/amo-browsing-for-seamonkey/...
Last edited by Midas on Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

SYSTEM

#36 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 am Anyone can tell me what's the name of (or how to to disable) those toggle strips so characteristic of SeaMonkey? I have been trying to recall that for days to no avail...
They're called grippies.

Here's an old tip about how to disable them. I don't know if it still works.

http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/generalfaq/nogrippies
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#37 Post by Midas »

Works! Thanks mate, you're a lifesaver. 8)

Midas

#38 Post by Midas »

SeaMonkey 2.49.4 released, dated 2019-07-27 (release notes at www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.4/).

freakazoid

#39 Post by freakazoid »

Just wanted to update this thread and say that Seamonkey 2.53.1 was released about a month ago, but the PA.com version is still on 2.49.5.

This is an important release because this version is using an enhanced version of Gecko 56 with backports of certain fixes from later Gecko versions. The user agent says Gecko 60, which is an approximate version. For those of you still using Firefox ESR 52 or Pale Moon, you might want to consider using Seamonkey now.

Addons are becoming harder to come by. I've started using some Pale Moon addons as replacements such as Decentraleyes, Canvasblocker Legacy, Finderbar Tweak, Pure URL and Stylem. Seamonkey isn't my primary browser though. It's more like my third browser!
is it stealth? ;)

JohnTHaller

#40 Post by JohnTHaller »

freakazoid wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:22 pm Just wanted to update this thread and say that Seamonkey 2.53.1 was released about a month ago, but the PA.com version is still on 2.49.5.
The update is coming shortly. The Seamonkey launcher needs to be reworked and tested to handle Mozilla's proprietary mzla format the way the recent releases of Firefox Portable are and Thunderbird Portable will be today/tomorrow. I expect to have at least a test release out this week. Details here: https://portableapps.com/node/60496
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#41 Post by Midas »

I'm still using SeaMonkey as an alternate browser -- e.g., it's my first for TPFC. Thanks for the info. :sunglasses:

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:00 am I'm still using SeaMonkey as an alternate browser -- e.g., it's my first for TPFC. Thanks for the info. :sunglasses:
All these years later, I'm actually getting quite a bit of mileage out of their included HTML editor, which does a great job with creating and editing HTML files and rich text. I think if you added up all the time I worked on this program back when it appeared in Netscape 4, then NVU, then KompoZer, and now SeaMonkey that may be the most frequently used program I've ever downloaded.

Midas

#43 Post by Midas »

Topic update: upstream SeaMonkey v2.53.3 released 2020-07-07 (release notes at www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.3/).

Important warning!
Important only if you upgrade from 2.49.5 or an earlier version: Due to changes in the user profile, if you have set a master password, you will have to remove it before upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.53.3. After a successful upgrade, don't forget to manually remove the files key3.db and cert8.db in your profile afterwards, as they include credentials and passwords no longer protected by a master password. You can find the path to your profile folder entering the special about:support URL in a SeaMonkey browser window.

webfork

#44 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00 am if you have set a master password, you will have to remove it before upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.53.3
That's frustrating. :/

Midas

#45 Post by Midas »

Topic update: upstream SeaMonkey v2.53.4 released 2020-09-22 (release notes at www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.4/#new).

Our own PortableApps.com SeaMonkey Portable is still stuck at v2.49.5 released 2019-09-04 (for details why, see https://portableapps.com/node/60496).