Textosaurus (Textilosaurus) - simple text editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: Textilosaurus - simple text editor

#31 Post by Midas »

If I ever made a public program, I'd name it PKD. BTW, nice list there, skunkos.

The devil is in details... otherwise fine by me. :)

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

Before the rest of my reply, I don't think I've seen a thorough conversation on the site about a program name, so this is a first. Naming issues are usually something I get no response on.

It's kinda nice.
skunkos wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pmLet me assemble some list maybe there will be some good word: Scrib (modification of latin translation for "text"), Kant (surname of Immanuel Kant, one of best writing philosophers of all time), Tekstpad, Liber (sheet of paper in latin), Skriptum (book in latin), Caput (paragraph in latin), Verbum (sentence in latin), Epistol (tweaked translation of "writing" in latin), Plumbum (pencil in latin).
This is definitely new. I never thought to use this approach for a program / project name. I definitely like any reference to Kant, although I think I've seen a few programs try to use that in their name.

A quick followup on this point:
webfork wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:30 pm So many programs pick a too-generic name.
Two recent super-not-unique names I came across:

8-zip - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Compressio ... Lite.shtml

Rufus (RSS reader, and there's already a great Linux distro tool with that name) - https://github.com/jtanza/rufus

skunkos

#33 Post by skunkos »

We have to admit that there is so many entities (sw applications, companies, movies, people names, teams etc) with unique names that it is in fact very hard to pick good, soundy and nice-to-remember title.

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

Testing latest release...

Suggestions (mostly UI releated):
  • "View | Sidebars | Markdown preview" works as a toggle, doesn't display a check mark when activated like sibling options -- which BTW don't stay in synch with current options;
  • make "Filesystem" favorites pane resizable/hideable;
  • simplify the menu system -- as they are presently very scantily populated, "Edit" and "Search" could possibly be merged; at the other end in terms of population, but likewise, mostly because they won't see heavy use, same for the "Encoding" and "Language" entries, moving them to the end before "Help";
  • make the line number columnar margin a little wider, maybe three digits wide from the start -- it helps with line selection, too, so maybe flip mouse pointer while hovering.
More possibly coming up, as the testing progresses... great job. 👍 😎

Midas

#36 Post by Midas »

:arrow: Still about the naming debate...
author of https://www.theatlantic.com/article/374912/ wrote:Companies with names that are simple and easy to pronounce see significantly higher investments than more complexly named stocks, especially just after their initial public offerings when information on the stock’s fundamentals are most scarce. People with easier to pronounce names are also judged more positively and tend to be hired and promoted more often than their more obscurely named peers.

skunkos

#37 Post by skunkos »

Midas wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 am Testing latest release...

Suggestions (mostly UI releated):
  • "View | Sidebars | Markdown preview" works as a toggle, doesn't display a check mark when activated like sibling options -- which BTW don't stay in synch with current options;
  • make "Filesystem" favorites pane resizable/hideable;
  • simplify the menu system -- as they are presently very scantily populated, "Edit" and "Search" could possibly be merged; at the other end in terms of population, but likewise, mostly because they won't see heavy use, same for the "Encoding" and "Language" entries, moving them to the end before "Help";
  • make the line number columnar margin a little wider, maybe three digits wide from the start -- it helps with line selection, too, so maybe flip mouse pointer while hovering.
More possibly coming up, as the testing progresses... great job. 👍 😎
COuld you eventually turn your suggestions into bug reports? Thank you so much. :)

skunkos

#38 Post by skunkos »

I created TODO myself, thanks, will integrate some changes.

skunkos

#39 Post by skunkos »

Some updates: Textilosausur Windows binaries will be from now on compiled with MinGW-w64 toolchain instead of MSVC compiler, which will allow us to get rid of MSVC runtime dependency. Moreover, I am working on fully static build, which will allow to get rid of all DLL files and only single .exe binary will be distributed, thus Textilosaurus will be: single fully portable x64 binary.

Midas

#40 Post by Midas »

Nice. But won't that increase file size dramatically?

skunkos

#41 Post by skunkos »

That is the question. In theory, no. Static library files could be even a bit smaller than DLL counterparts. So the overall sum of sizes of all used libraries could be about the same.

Please test, this is first experimental static build: https://transfer.sh/3nIUq/textilosaurus ... 0-win64.7z

EDIT: Proof: https://imgur.com/a/CpOQS

Midas

#42 Post by Midas »

In fact: :D
Textilosaurus portable folder disk cost
Static build30.8 MB (32 378 880 bytes)
Dinamic build31.5 MB (33 072 580 bytes)

skunkos

#43 Post by skunkos »

So you tested static build? Do you feel its okay as for speed/size?

Midas

#44 Post by Midas »

100% on my part. Although my testing isn't as methodical, comprehensive or accurate as TP109's... :|

skunkos

#45 Post by skunkos »

https://github.com/martinrotter/textilo ... 2018.01.31

I came back to MSVC toolchain, but I compiled Qt myself in minimalistic configuration and with some extra optimizations enabled - https://github.com/martinrotter/qt5-minimalistic-builds

Thus, Textilosaurus binary is now smaller than it was before. Moreover it should start faster. There are NO direct dependencies, everything is compiled directly into the exe (tested on multiplet Windows versions). In same cases there may be external transitive dependencies cause by differences in system libraries, particularly Windows CRT runtime may be needed on some setups.

Plus, some new features and fixes are added.