Firefox Portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Message
Author
gbrao
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: Firefox Portable

#76 Post by gbrao » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 pm


User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Firefox Portable

#77 Post by SYSTEM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 8236
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: Firefox Portable

#78 Post by webfork » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:17 pm

One of those rare moments where chasing enhanced privacy also means increased speed. Usually items that give you more privacy/security require extra steps and slow you down.

Related: Haller just posted about Firefox vs. Pale Moon and Basilisk

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 8236
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: Firefox Portable

#79 Post by webfork » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Just an update that I'm really enjoying the new interface and underlying engine.

Image

Also:

User avatar
zorro
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Firefox Portable stealth status

#80 Post by zorro » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:43 am

I don'tknow, where the statement about FF Portable beeing stealth comes from, but for me since several versions (don't know exactly, could have been 36) the launcher lefts the following folders behind:
• AppData\Local\Mozilla
• AppData\LocalLow\Mozilla
• AppData\Roaming\Mozilla
I make use of the provided .ini-file, with the option enabled for the launcher to wait for firefox and clean up afterwards (should only be activated if there's no local installed Firefox on the machine), but these folders re always left behind.
Not that it's crucial, I don't mind at all, but I wonder if anyone else encounters this behaviour and can give me an explanation?

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Firefox Portable stealth status

#81 Post by SYSTEM » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 am

zorro wrote:I don'tknow, where the statement about FF Portable beeing stealth comes from, but for me since several versions (don't know exactly, could have been 36) the launcher lefts the following folders behind:
• AppData\Local\Mozilla
• AppData\LocalLow\Mozilla
• AppData\Roaming\Mozilla
I make use of the provided .ini-file, with the option enabled for the launcher to wait for firefox and clean up afterwards (should only be activated if there's no local installed Firefox on the machine), but these folders re always left behind.
Not that it's crucial, I don't mind at all, but I wonder if anyone else encounters this behaviour and can give me an explanation?
I can confirm the "Mozilla" directory being left behind in AppData\Roaming and AppData\LocalLow. All I need to do is launch Firefox Portable.

@JohnTHaller, could you fix it?
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

User avatar
JohnTHaller
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: Firefox Portable

#82 Post by JohnTHaller » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:53 am

Is there anything in those folders for you? It's got code that runs on exit to remove them when they are empty (including several nested folders). Note that this will not work if you have firefox.exe associated with files or run directly other than via the launcher as it will mess up Firefox's process state and leave these folders locked after FirefoxPortable.exe closes. This is new behavior in Firefox Quantum.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Firefox Portable

#83 Post by SYSTEM » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 am

JohnTHaller wrote:Is there anything in those folders for you? It's got code that runs on exit to remove them when they are empty (including several nested folders).
I'll check tomorrow.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

User avatar
JohnTHaller
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: Firefox Portable

#84 Post by JohnTHaller » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:37 am

I've confirmed it's an issue due to changes in the new Quantum release. You can follow the bug report and download the test version of the upcoming Firefox Portable launcher that fixes it here: https://portableapps.com/node/57289
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

User avatar
zorro
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Firefox Portable

#85 Post by zorro » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:11 pm

No, the folders are empty (well, folder-subfolder-empty, see screenshot).
firefox.png
firefox.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 9108 times
But this behaviour began long before Quantum was released - I admit I use FF Portable for a really long time now and since the normal FF update process worked fine inside the portable environment (of course, if you press on "restart now", the firefox.exe is triggered, but if I forgot that, I cleaned afterwards and was good to go) I used the structure and launcher I once downloaded (it must have been version 36 of FF) for a really long time - even with the new Quantum-release.
Now I updated the whole installation (checked registry and AppData for left-overs) and well, it's the same. It doesn't bother me - just curious why it happens and if I'm alone (no, saw the answers).

User avatar
JohnTHaller
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: Firefox Portable

#86 Post by JohnTHaller » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 pm

zorro wrote:Now I updated the whole installation (checked registry and AppData for left-overs) and well, it's the same. It doesn't bother me - just curious why it happens and if I'm alone (no, saw the answers).
See the comment above yours for the fix.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Firefox Portable

#87 Post by SYSTEM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:04 am

JohnTHaller wrote:I've confirmed it's an issue due to changes in the new Quantum release. You can follow the bug report and download the test version of the upcoming Firefox Portable launcher that fixes it here: https://portableapps.com/node/57289
Fix verified. With the modified wrapper, Firefox Portable doesn't leave those directories behind. Thanks! :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

User avatar
zorro
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Firefox Portable

#88 Post by zorro » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:39 pm

But what about the Mozilla-Folder in Local? Does anyone else have this with subfolders (see screenshot in my last reply)?

User avatar
JohnTHaller
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: Firefox Portable

#89 Post by JohnTHaller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 pm

zorro wrote:But what about the Mozilla-Folder in Local? Does anyone else have this with subfolders (see screenshot in my last reply)?
Read the page I linked above. I addressed this right in the bug report. And it's fixed in the upcoming launcher which is available for download on the bug report page.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Firefox Portable

#90 Post by SYSTEM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:36 pm

JohnTHaller wrote:
zorro wrote:But what about the Mozilla-Folder in Local? Does anyone else have this with subfolders (see screenshot in my last reply)?
Read the page I linked above. I addressed this right in the bug report. And it's fixed in the upcoming launcher which is available for download on the bug report page.
Uh, he has been saying that he also gets a Mozilla directory in %LocalAppData%. Your thread in PA.c doesn't mention that.
Attachments
firefox.png
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

Post Reply