Firefox - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
gbrao

Re: Firefox Portable

#76 Post by gbrao »

SYSTEM

#77 Post by SYSTEM »

Thanks. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#78 Post by webfork »

One of those rare moments where chasing enhanced privacy also means increased speed. Usually items that give you more privacy/security require extra steps and slow you down.

Related: Haller just posted about Firefox vs. Pale Moon and Basilisk

webfork

#79 Post by webfork »

Just an update that I'm really enjoying the new interface and underlying engine.

Also:

zorro

Firefox Portable stealth status

#80 Post by zorro »

I don'tknow, where the statement about FF Portable beeing stealth comes from, but for me since several versions (don't know exactly, could have been 36) the launcher lefts the following folders behind:
• AppData\Local\Mozilla
• AppData\LocalLow\Mozilla
• AppData\Roaming\Mozilla
I make use of the provided .ini-file, with the option enabled for the launcher to wait for firefox and clean up afterwards (should only be activated if there's no local installed Firefox on the machine), but these folders re always left behind.
Not that it's crucial, I don't mind at all, but I wonder if anyone else encounters this behaviour and can give me an explanation?

SYSTEM

Re: Firefox Portable stealth status

#81 Post by SYSTEM »

zorro wrote:I don'tknow, where the statement about FF Portable beeing stealth comes from, but for me since several versions (don't know exactly, could have been 36) the launcher lefts the following folders behind:
• AppData\Local\Mozilla
• AppData\LocalLow\Mozilla
• AppData\Roaming\Mozilla
I make use of the provided .ini-file, with the option enabled for the launcher to wait for firefox and clean up afterwards (should only be activated if there's no local installed Firefox on the machine), but these folders re always left behind.
Not that it's crucial, I don't mind at all, but I wonder if anyone else encounters this behaviour and can give me an explanation?
I can confirm the "Mozilla" directory being left behind in AppData\Roaming and AppData\LocalLow. All I need to do is launch Firefox Portable.

@JohnTHaller, could you fix it?

JohnTHaller

#82 Post by JohnTHaller »

Is there anything in those folders for you? It's got code that runs on exit to remove them when they are empty (including several nested folders). Note that this will not work if you have firefox.exe associated with files or run directly other than via the launcher as it will mess up Firefox's process state and leave these folders locked after FirefoxPortable.exe closes. This is new behavior in Firefox Quantum.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

SYSTEM

#83 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote:Is there anything in those folders for you? It's got code that runs on exit to remove them when they are empty (including several nested folders).
I'll check tomorrow.

JohnTHaller

#84 Post by JohnTHaller »

I've confirmed it's an issue due to changes in the new Quantum release. You can follow the bug report and download the test version of the upcoming Firefox Portable launcher that fixes it here: https://portableapps.com/node/57289
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

zorro

#85 Post by zorro »

No, the folders are empty (well, folder-subfolder-empty, see screenshot).
firefox.png
firefox.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 179217 times
But this behaviour began long before Quantum was released - I admit I use FF Portable for a really long time now and since the normal FF update process worked fine inside the portable environment (of course, if you press on "restart now", the firefox.exe is triggered, but if I forgot that, I cleaned afterwards and was good to go) I used the structure and launcher I once downloaded (it must have been version 36 of FF) for a really long time - even with the new Quantum-release.
Now I updated the whole installation (checked registry and AppData for left-overs) and well, it's the same. It doesn't bother me - just curious why it happens and if I'm alone (no, saw the answers).

JohnTHaller

#86 Post by JohnTHaller »

zorro wrote:Now I updated the whole installation (checked registry and AppData for left-overs) and well, it's the same. It doesn't bother me - just curious why it happens and if I'm alone (no, saw the answers).
See the comment above yours for the fix.

SYSTEM

#87 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote:I've confirmed it's an issue due to changes in the new Quantum release. You can follow the bug report and download the test version of the upcoming Firefox Portable launcher that fixes it here: https://portableapps.com/node/57289
Fix verified. With the modified wrapper, Firefox Portable doesn't leave those directories behind. Thanks! :)

zorro

#88 Post by zorro »

But what about the Mozilla-Folder in Local? Does anyone else have this with subfolders (see screenshot in my last reply)?

JohnTHaller

#89 Post by JohnTHaller »

zorro wrote:But what about the Mozilla-Folder in Local? Does anyone else have this with subfolders (see screenshot in my last reply)?
Read the page I linked above. I addressed this right in the bug report. And it's fixed in the upcoming launcher which is available for download on the bug report page.

SYSTEM

#90 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote:
zorro wrote:But what about the Mozilla-Folder in Local? Does anyone else have this with subfolders (see screenshot in my last reply)?
Read the page I linked above. I addressed this right in the bug report. And it's fixed in the upcoming launcher which is available for download on the bug report page.
Uh, he has been saying that he also gets a Mozilla directory in %LocalAppData%. Your thread in PA.c doesn't mention that.
Attachments
firefox.png