MyPaint - digital image drawing and edition

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Message
Author
User avatar
achadwick
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:57 am
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: X-MyPaint

#16 Post by achadwick » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:39 am

Hey, no problem. Dependencies is the right term, we just try to be self-contained with our bundles: hence the massive hairballs we distribute :(

Practical suggestions about how we can improve the experience for Windows users are very welcome.

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: X-MyPaint

#17 Post by webfork » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 am

achadwick wrote:Hey, no problem. Dependencies is the right term, we just try to be self-contained with our bundles: hence the massive hairballs we distribute :(
I'm less concerned about files or space taken up as I am with *external* dependencies (e.g. Java, dotNET, Visual C Redist, etc.). Not everyone agrees with me on this point, but I want to click on it and have it run without getting prompted that I need to download something else.

Krita by way of comparison is around 1/2 a gig.
achadwick wrote:Practical suggestions about how we can improve the experience for Windows users are very welcome.
Thanks for being open to that. I'll try to see what I can come up with here.
shnbwmn wrote:The official installer ... can be portabilised with the X-MyPaint launcher, by replacing the files in X-MyPaint\Bin\MyPaint
Cool discovery, thanks shnbwmn.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

User avatar
JohnTHaller
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

MyPaint Portable 1.2.0

#18 Post by JohnTHaller » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:25 pm

I hadn't realized that the MyPaint 1.2.0 release had happened. We were waiting for the 1.2.0 release to release MyPaint Portable as the 1.1 MyPaint Windows builds were quite unstable.

As such, MyPaint Portable 1.2.0 is now available: http://portableapps.com/news/2016-08-12 ... 0-released

It's fully portable including the scraps files which are typically hard coded to LOCALAPPDATA and would normally break as you move around.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: MyPaint Portable 1.2.0

#19 Post by SYSTEM » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:20 am

JohnTHaller wrote:I hadn't realized that the MyPaint 1.2.0 release had happened. We were waiting for the 1.2.0 release to release MyPaint Portable as the 1.1 MyPaint Windows builds were quite unstable.

As such, MyPaint Portable 1.2.0 is now available: http://portableapps.com/news/2016-08-12 ... 0-released

It's fully portable including the scraps files which are typically hard coded to LOCALAPPDATA and would normally break as you move around.
I added a mention of MyPaint Portable to the database entry for now.

It would make more sense to just switch the entry to MyPaint Portable, but I'm not going to do it, as I don't use MyPaint myself.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: MyPaint Portable 1.2.0

#20 Post by webfork » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:57 pm

SYSTEM wrote:It would make more sense to just switch the entry to MyPaint Portable, but I'm not going to do it, as I don't use MyPaint myself.
I'll make a note to get to it in the weeks ahead.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: MyPaint Portable 1.2.0

#21 Post by webfork » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:16 am

webfork wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:... make more sense to just switch the entry to MyPaint Portable
I'll get to it in the weeks ahead.
All set. Updated description, icon, screenshot, etc.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

CornHolio the Gringo
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:01 am

Re: MyPaint - digital image drawing and edition

#22 Post by CornHolio the Gringo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:46 am

Isnt software .Net dependent?
What .net version does it require?

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: MyPaint - digital image drawing and edition

#23 Post by webfork » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:42 pm

CornHolio the Gringo wrote:Isnt software .Net dependent?
Nope, not this one.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

User avatar
JohnTHaller
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: MyPaint - digital image drawing and edition

#24 Post by JohnTHaller » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:49 pm

.NET-wise, I think you're thinking of Paint.NET
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

CornHolio the Gringo
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:01 am

Re: MyPaint - digital image drawing and edition

#25 Post by CornHolio the Gringo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:55 pm

JohnTHaller wrote:.NET-wise, I think you're thinking of Paint.NET
Yes, I was.
My memory wasnt inline, sorry.
Paint.NET depends on Microsoft's .NET Framework 4.6.

Post Reply