gPodder - audio/video podcast downloader

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

gPodder - audio/video podcast downloader

#1 Post by webfork »

Update: program back up and new version 2.7 available.

---

gPodder is currently offline. The entry has been updated: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1673

This is probably a temporary situation, but I post about it because it was weird that I couldn't find a mirror for widely used program that almost welcomes redistribution (GPL license). If someone needs, I can zip my own copy and make the program available online. Should the download come back online I'll start hosting a mirror on my own server.

Hopefully this is a temporary because the non-Windows version has hit 2.8 with a list of some impressive fixes http://gpodder.org/news.html including fixing Youtube, which many other downloads here on the site seem to keep having issues with.

webfork

Re: gPodder

#2 Post by webfork »

After I had issues with Video Backup Fusion and xVideoServiceThief on a few download sites, I started looking around for another batch downloader. Strangely, I completely forgot about gPodder. Did a test with this program a few days ago and it worked remarkably well. Even downloads HD.

Only negative of course is that it only works with Youtube (unlike the other mentioned programs), but the speed and simplicity are hard to beat.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Upgrading from version 2.x: gPodder 3.x can not read or import settings from 2.x, so any subscriptions should be exported before upgrading. PortableApps.com has instructions. Alternatively, gPodder 2.20 is the last version that was portable on its own if you apply a patch to the Python code.

[Note this was formerly inside the entry but has been moved to forums.]

smaragdus

Re: gPodder - Runtime error

#4 Post by smaragdus »

I have a problem with gPodder version3.9.3- C Run-Time Error R6034.

webfork

Re: gPodder - Runtime error

#5 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:I have a problem with gPodder version3.9.3- C Run-Time Error R6034.
Dang, Haller got on that quickly.

Did it get resolved?

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
It seems that the problem I mentioned is specific to my system. JohnTHaller tried to investigate the problem and I appreciate his effort to help. The problem is not resolved but I have not had time to investigate further.

JohnTHaller

#7 Post by JohnTHaller »

If you have any additional time to play with it, please drop a note in our forums. Or here, though I may miss it here.

I pushed out a Rev 2 of this release that updates the bundled Python and improved the side by side DLL configuration for it. This won't help your situation, as I'm still not sure why it's not working on your machine, sadly.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:Or here, though I may miss it here.
Did you mean to add URLs to those two "here" words?

JohnTHaller

#9 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote:Or here, though I may miss it here.
Did you mean to add URLs to those two "here" words?
It meant "Or leave me a message here on PFC, though I may miss it here on PFC as compared to PAc as I monitor PAc more closely.". I should have been clearer.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

bitcoin

#10 Post by bitcoin »

now at v3.10.6, still not updated for quite a while at PA though

also, if you add more than about 50 podcasts the program tends to lock up from time to time

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm now at v3.10.6, still not updated for quite a while at PA though

also, if you add more than about 50 podcasts the program tends to lock up from time to time
Thanks for the update. Also: you have subscribed to over 50 podcasts?

bitcoin

#12 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:29 am
bitcoin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm now at v3.10.6, still not updated for quite a while at PA though

Thanks for the update. Also: you have subscribed to over 50 podcasts?
yes, i dont listen to them all but between politics, health and various others i was at about 125 so i now split them into 3 different portable gpodder setups.

i only download the episodes that look interesting

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 am i only download the episodes that look interesting
Oh that makes sense. I have ~15 on my machine but I guess I do something similar in terms of episode selection.

Anyway, you might post something about having issues with over 50 subscriptions. That seems like a pretty good bug: https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder/issues

bitcoin

#14 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:57 am
bitcoin wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 am i only download the episodes that look interesting
Oh that makes sense. I have ~15 on my machine but I guess I do something similar in terms of episode selection.

Anyway, you might post something about having issues with over 50 subscriptions. That seems like a pretty good bug: https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder/issues
i asked him on his mailing list if he would consider putting tabs across the top for categories where now exists only "podcasts" and "progress" so that someone could only update category by category and maybe prevent the program from freezing up, and he said no

seems like the project is gaining steam lately though, maybe the developer is able to make enough money in donations to make it worth his while upgrading now

bitcoin

Re: gPodder - audio/video podcast downloader

#15 Post by bitcoin »

strange that there's not a serious competitor to this besides iTunes i guess

the three others in category haven't been updated in over 5 years