Firewall App blocker (Fab)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
klon

Firewall App blocker (Fab)

#1 Post by klon »

[Moderator note: this is the primary portable Firewall App Blocker thread. View database entry]

----

Firewall App Blocker is a very efficient and user-friendly Portable Freeware application that allows you to set firewall blocking rules without an advanced level of know-how.Traditionally, such a task requires that you perform a number of complex operations , Adding an application to the block list is possible using the dedicated menu or button, but drag and drop is also supported.

Firewall App Blocker (Fab) v1.7 (Thursday, 16 April 2020)

FIXED – Program closes when accidentally pressing ESC key (This Feature has been removed)
ADDED – Adding folder content by Drag & Drop or Copy Paste
ADDED – Value to ini file for svchost.exe (This file is not added to the list by default)
ADDED – Netsh commands under File menu (Allow local subnet , Export – Import Firewall config)
FIXED – Some Minor Bugs and code weaknesses (code improvements)

HomePage:
https://www.sordum.org/8125/firewall-ap ... -fab-v1-7/
Last edited by klon on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

webfork

Re: Firewall App blocker v1.0 (Portable freeware)

#2 Post by webfork »

Looks useful, thanks.

klon

#3 Post by klon »

Last edited by klon on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Looks like a nice app! I wish someone created an app like this to block programs from writing to the registry :)
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Ditto. Or (maybe easier?) to discard writes after closing those programs...

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:I wish someone created an app like this to block programs from writing to the registry
Yes, that would be very nice.

Midas

Re: Firewall App Blocker (FAB)

#7 Post by Midas »

klon

Re: Firewall App blocker (Fab) v1.5

#8 Post by klon »

Firewall Application blocker (Fab) v1.5 released - Tuesday , 07. February 2017

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Great job. 8)

I have a question: is it possible to read pre-existing rules with FAB? I haven't found a way...

Note: just in case the OP edits go unnoticed, the changelog is at http://www.sordum.org/8125/firewall-app ... -fab-v1-5/.

klon

#10 Post by klon »

No , you should recreate these rules with FAB

Midas

Re: Firewall App blocker (Fab)

#11 Post by Midas »

Fab v1.6 released (announcement at http://www.sordum.org/8125/firewall-app ... -fab-v1-6/).

@webfork: can the version info be removed from OP? Thanks. :)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

I realized a few days ago that multiple programs I'm using have various Internet-connected components that are badly out of date and likely a security concern. Open Sankore, KompoZer, and PhotoScape are all programs I've been using lately that really have no business connecting to the Internet for any reason.

I also spent some time working with the Windows 7 firewall program and, while complete, it's not particularly easy to use.

FAB does a very good job of managing the firewall in a simplified manner. You can even add multiple processes in batch, which is great as many programs I've tested lately have at least 2 processes running:

Possible issues
  • Unclear what "whitelist" mode is or how to change it.
  • Only blocks programs on the outbound side, not inbound. You have to manually change that in the Windows Firewall app.
  • Couldn't block LameXP's update checker (Windows Firewall couldn't either, not sure why).
  • Limited help. Also, the home page (in the help menu) is set to the site root (www.sordum.net) and not an app home page
Status: Portable. Writes to Fab.ini in the app folder. Because the program is a front-end for a Windows service, it's fundamentally not stealth.

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:
  • Couldn't block LameXP's update checker (Windows Firewall couldn't either, not sure why).
Don't know if this is the case, but it could be because you're blocking TCP/IP connections and the check is going over UDP... if that's even possible. :idea:

Note-to-self: the recently posted Firewall Tool (AIO) (viewtopic.php?t=24394) by the same dev works nicely as a complement to FAB.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:38 am Don't know if this is the case, but it could be because you're blocking TCP/IP connections and the check is going over UDP... if that's even possible. :idea:
It's possible. There's a lot I don't know about this topic.
Midas wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:38 am Note-to-self: the recently posted Firewall Tool (AIO) (viewtopic.php?t=24394) by the same dev works nicely as a complement to FAB.
Agreed. Ultimately if you want to backup your Firewall settings and restore them elsewhere, the AIO is the tool.

klon

#15 Post by klon »

Firewall App Blocker (Fab) v1.7 (Thursday, 16 April 2020)

FIXED – Program closes when accidentally pressing ESC key (This Feature has been removed)
ADDED – Adding folder content by Drag & Drop or Copy Paste
ADDED – Value to ini file for svchost.exe (This file is not added to the list by default)
ADDED – Netsh commands under File menu (Allow local subnet , Export – Import Firewall config)
FIXED – Some Minor Bugs and code weaknesses (code improvements)

Note: I can not edit my first Toppic