fSekrit - self encrypting notepad

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dasfx

fSekrit - self encrypting notepad

#1 Post by dasfx »

I was very surprised not to see this on the list:

fSekrit v1.00
Category: Security / Encryption

Synopsis: fSekrit is a small application for keeping encrypted notes. The real advantage of fSekrit is that notes are truly self-contained; the editor program and your note are merged together into a tiny self-contained program file, removing the need to install a special application to view your data.

This makes fSekrit ideal for keeping encrypted notes on, for example, USB flash drives.

Writes settings to: None

How to extract: Download the .zip file and extract folder of your choice. Launch the program by double-clicking on fsekrit.exe.

Unicode support: ?

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP

Web site: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Other/fSekrit/

Thanks!

DasFX

dasfx

#2 Post by dasfx »

bump?

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

Yucca

#4 Post by Yucca »

FSekrit is a great program, which creates a small self-decrypting exe file. The size of the resulting file is about 39KB plus the size of the text.

As an alternative, CryptNote 1.0.1 (already in the database) performs a similar function with an astonishingly similar looking GUI. However, CryptNote does not produce a self-decrypting executable document file. Instead, you need the CryptNote program to decrypt files encrypted with it.

That said, CryptNote is only 17KB (uncompressed) compared to 40KB (uncompressed) for FSekrit. So emailing a copy of CryptNote.exe along with an encrypted document produced by it would still be about 22KB smaller than emailing a single self-decrypting document produced by FSekrit which does not require the actual program for decryption.

Both FSekrit and CryptNote use a strong 256-bit AES encryption algorithm.

These are both excellent small programs for encrypting text files, but if size matters then CryptNote wins by a nose. If ease of use matters, then the convenience of a single self-decrypting file is probably preferable and FSekrit wins by a nose.

Yucca

[Edited with some corrections.]

DSpeed

fSekrit

#5 Post by DSpeed »

fSekrit is a small application for keeping encrypted notes.

The real advantage of fSekrit is that notes are truly self-contained; the editor program and your note are merged together into a tiny self-contained program file, removing the need to install a special application to view your data.

This makes fSekrit ideal for keeping encrypted notes on, for example, USB flash drives.

Self contained fSekrit note files are tiny! Only 60k plus the size of your text.

I never use a PIM, password manager or phone book program. I simply have a fSekrit file with all such information in it.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Other/fSekrit/

Regards.......Des Speed.......

Darkbee

#6 Post by Darkbee »

Already in the database, please check your submissions before posting.

Thank you.

I am Baas

Re: fSekrit - self encrypting notepad

#7 Post by I am Baas »