QuickImageComment (metadata utility)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
xor

Re: QuickImageComment (metadata utility)

#16 Post by xor »

Everytime that I come across the photo metadata topic, I stumble upon the very same situation:
I don't like metadata neither in documents nor in pictures or media files, I don't need it except for one and only one single exif tag: DateTimeOriginal (i.e. I always want to know when in the past I took that picture), I have a lot of photos and short videos taken with my digital camera, smartphone and the like, I want to reduce their file sizes immediately so I apply resize, optimize and strip metadata, I know there are tons of meta data strippers but there's no app that lets me select any tags to keep, with this in mind I tested QuickImageComment and it does let me select what to erase and what to keep but after comparing it to this Simple and unique comercial tool I find out that there's a big difference in terms of the resulting file size and flexibility and simplicity of use, I always continue to wish there was a Portable freeware that would achieve the same thing but I suppose this is too much of knowledge or too less of interest to freeware Devs since, say 10 years ago. All those CLI complex utilities and all those over-complicated GUIs have never been able to accomplish this single and simple task *shrug*

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

I get that you're frustrated by the lack of effective options on this, but I encourage you to take additional action.

You could:

1. Contact the developers of the program.

2. Contact the various interface developers behind ExifTool for something better updated.

3. Put in a feature request to FileOptimizer requesting this. The program actively developed, open, and already doing lots of cool things with a huge number of file types, much of it surrounding metadata. The dev has a real interest in ongoing reductions of file size.

That might go a long way to solving this program now and in the future. Commercial programs like the one you point to come and go.

xor

#18 Post by xor »

@Webfork
Your constructive comment really got me into the reflexion to direct my many and increasing feature requests to devs in order to get them implemented, fixed or improved, I'll try to take that step ahead.

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

xor wrote:I'll try to take that step ahead.
Cool, good to hear

__philippe

#20 Post by __philippe »

QuickImageComment v4.25

Anyone who downloaded v4.25 right on the 13-NOV-2016 original release date, please download again.

There was a minor bug messing up parts of the main window display in that original version.

The up-to-date QIC v4.25 package (unchanged version number) released on 14-NOV-2016 include the following updated files:

14/11/2016 20:18:52 size 691.712 QuickImageComment.exe
14/11/2016 20:18:52 size 749.056 QuickImageComment.pdb

(source: recent mail exchange with QIC's developer)

smaragdus

Re: QuickImageComment 4.26

#21 Post by smaragdus »

Does anyone have an explanation why and how Free Download Manager (version 3.9.7 Build 1627) corrupts downloads from QuickImageComment web-site?
By the way the latest version of QuickImageComment is 4.26.

lintalist

#22 Post by lintalist »

@smaragdus you could try to see what the server response is to the download request, perhaps it sends a mime type that the download manager doesn't understand correctly or treats it differently as opposed to a browser request. Say it interprets the ZIP download as a text file, that would explain the corrupted file as data is lost. Tools like fiddler or Wireshark might be able to help you and see what is going on. Could be a misconfigured server (unlikely) or a bug in the download manager (more likely).

This is of course just a guess.

webfork

Re: QuickImageComment 4.26

#23 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Does anyone have an explanation why and how Free Download Manager (version 3.9.7 Build 1627) corrupts
In the past I've sent a bug report to the FDM team about an issue like that and they fixed it in the next update. Unfortunately as we're not using their latest version, I don't think they'd make that change any longer.

__philippe

ExifPilot v5.0 - images metadata utility

#24 Post by __philippe »

ExifPilot v5.0 released as of 23-FEB-2017.

Code: Select all

c:\sigcheck Exif.exe:
        Verified:     Signed
        Signing date: 12:37 23/02/2017
        Publisher:    Dva pilota d.o.o.
        Company:      Two Pilots
        Description:  Exif Pilot Setup
        Product:      Exif Pilot
        Prod version: 5.0
        File version: 5.0
        MachineType:  32-bit
ExifPilot v5.0 Changelog

Portable Installation Footnote:
How to convert a natively NON-Portable :twisted:, miscreant ExifPilot distro into a bona-fide, born-again Portable... :mrgreen:
Thanks again @Midas and @tproli for developing their numerous application-specific yaP installers... 8)

Follow these steps to install and run ExifPilot via its pre-defined specific yaP launcher :

1. DOWNLOAD the pre-defined yaP specs package "ExifPortable-yaP.zip"
    from http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/package.php?file=ExifPilot.ini

2. EXTRACT zip contents (retaining full path directory structure) into new directory \ExifP500
   c:\7z x   ExifPortable-yaP.zip
   "\ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable" subdir is created, including:

\ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable\ExifPilotPortable.exe
    \ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable\ExifPilotPortable.ini
    \ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable\App\

3. COPY ExifPilot distro package (Exif.exe) into
    \ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable\App\

4. IDENTIFY ExifPilot distro file type
   c:\trid -n:1 c:\ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable\App\Exif.exe

TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.24 - (C) 2003-16 By M.Pontello
	Definitions found:  8254
	Analyzing...
	Collecting data from file: Exif.exe
 	71.1% (.EXE) Inno Setup installer (109740/4/30)

5. EXTRACT manually the ExifPilot distro components (Inno-Setup packed)
   c:\innounp -e  c:\ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable\App\Exif.exe

6. RUN ExifPilotPortable.exe
...That's all there is to it , Folks...;-)

__philippe

ExifPilot v5.0 - images metadata utility

#25 Post by __philippe »

Please note a correction has been applied to the above ExiPilot Portable installation instructions :

Step 5 initially included an erroneous "c:\innounp -x" switch.

It now includes the correct     "c:\innounp -e" switch.

5. EXTRACT manually the ExifPilot distro components (Inno-Setup packed)
   c:\innounp -e  c:\ExifP500\ExifPilot Portable\App\Exif.exe

webfork

Re: ExifPilot v5.0 - images metadata utility

#26 Post by webfork »

__philippe wrote:Follow these steps to install and run ExifPilot via its pre-defined specific yaP launcher
Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I frequently hesitate to use yaP launchers because I never remember quite how to set them up, and I think many visitors feel similarly.

__philippe

Re: ExifPilot v5.0 - images metadata utility

#27 Post by __philippe »

webfork wrote:Thanks for the detailed breakdown.
Don't mention it...;-)
webfork wrote: I frequently hesitate to use yaP launchers because I never remember quite how to set them up, and I think many visitors feel similarly.
Remarkably insightful articulation of my own unconscious motive for writing the detailed breakdown !

Perhaps we should turn this into a sticky, then ? ... :mrgreen:

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

__philippe wrote:Perhaps we should turn this into a sticky, then?
If we had a separate YaP forum and we modified that to look a bit more like an intro, I could definitely see making that sticky since it's something we'd want people seeing when they came to the forum. As of now it's attachment to a specific wrapper for a specific program would probably be confusing.

That said, I will very likely point to this when the topic comes up in the future.

__philippe

#29 Post by __philippe »

8)

__philippe

#30 Post by __philippe »

Streamlining ExifPilot Portable installation instructions: (one less step...every little bit helps)
Sigcheck is used to identify the *.exe file credentials; with a teensy fine-tuning of the sigcheck options (-a -q) Image
Step #4 (IDENTIFY ExifPilot distro file type) instruction can be merrily discarded.

(hint: take a gander at the penultimate line, can't paint it red inside a code box, regrettably...; -)

c:\>sigcheck -a -q Exif.exe

Verified:       Signed
    Signing date:   12:37 23/02/2017
    Publisher:      Dva pilota d.o.o.
    Company:        Two Pilots
    Description:    Exif Pilot Setup
    Product:        Exif Pilot
    Prod version:   5.0
    File version:   5.0
    MachineType:    32-bit    
    Binary Version: 5.0.0.0