Wanted: a simple/small text editor with FindAll & Highlight

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
vmars316

Wanted: a simple/small text editor with FindAll & Highlight

#1 Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks,
I need a simple/small text editor with FindAll & Highlight .
For example: When I do a Find in Chrome
it highlights all Find Hits .
I would like a simple/small text editor that does the same 'highlight all hits'.
THanks

__philippe

Text editor with FindAll & Highlights

#2 Post by __philippe »

Looking for a Text editor able to highlight simultaneously all occurrences of a search string :

Ever heard of EditPadLite ?

Need look no further, my son : TPFC ...;-)

From the Developer's own illustrated blurb:
  • Instant Highlight highlights all occurrences of the word under the text cursor,
    without opening the search pane or altering the search term in the search pane.
    You can configure EditPad Lite to do this when you double-click a word.
Options->Preferences->Search-> tick box: "Double clicking a word instantly highlight all its occurences"

Caveats:
  • Not exactly "small" (in my book) : 9MB exe
  • Portable installation : see "How to extract" instructions from the main entry
_________
PS
Not until the OP query prompted some sniffing around for a likely editor,
did I ever realize my own long-standing EditPadLite (7.2.3) has had the very same text-highlighting capability built-in all along ... :roll:

TP109

Re: Wanted: a simple/small text editor with FindAll & Highli

#3 Post by TP109 »

These editors also have this capability:
Akelpad
CudaText
Editor2
Editbone/Text Editor Pro
Notepad2-mod
Notepas
SynWrite

Some work out-of-the-box by double-clicking the word to select all occurrences. With others you need to use search-->highlight all matches either from the menu or from a search dialog.

Editor2, Notepad2-mod, and Akelpad are the most lightweight of the above
Last edited by TP109 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vmars316

#4 Post by vmars316 »

Thanks Folks :D !

EditPadLite 9mb
Akelpad .554mb
CudaText 16.7mb
Editor2 .102mb
Editbone/Text Editor Pro 9mb
Notepad2-mod .677mb
Notepas 2.8mb
SynWrite 30mb

Editor2 should do the trick
THanks

__philippe

#5 Post by __philippe »

vmars316 wrote:Thanks Folks :D !
Editor2 should do the trick
@vmars316

You may or may not care about this, but Editor2 v2.5.0.5 (Link date 13-10-2003) is not exactly portable,
considering it does write no less than 83 entries in the registry... :roll:

Then again, this looks like a nice enough, compact editor, with a "Find All and Highlight" function,
where hits are highlighted on a cheerful uniform background painted any color you want,...so long as it's black...;-)

TP109

#6 Post by TP109 »

__philippe wrote:83 entries in the registry...
Wow!

vmars316

#7 Post by vmars316 »

Ugh!
Thanks,
What's a good program to remove all its entries ?
Thanks

__philippe

#8 Post by __philippe »

vmars316 wrote:Ugh!
Thanks,
What's a good program to remove all its entries ?
Thanks
Just ran Nirsoft's RegScanner to clean up the whole "Editor2" mess:
File-> Delete Selected Keys/Values...OK ?

...hit "Return" (with some trepidation) after a dire warning message ...and all's well that seems well again...so far...;-)

(Word of solace: RegScanner does tactfully create a *.bak recovery file, just in case...)

__philippe

#9 Post by __philippe »

Orca wrote:I've had a quick bash at trying to portalize Editor2 with yaP and I believe it largely eliminates the registry-entry problem.
(I've had the attachment scanned at VirusTotal and the virus-detection result is 14/58, which, admittedly, doesn't sound great. yaP.exe's result is 16/59.)
@Orca

Thanks for building your Editor2.zip yaP launcher.

Apparently, yaP *.exe ad-hoc launchers invariably return a VT 16/59 score.
I observed the very same score for a recently tested ExifPilot launcher, with no apparent ill effect.

TP109

#10 Post by TP109 »

TP109 wrote:What's a good program to remove all its entries ?
If you run Orca's yaP launcher, that should remove those registry entries when you close Editor2 and those registry entries will be saved to a settings.reg file in the yaP launcher folder. On my machine, Editor2 creates 90 registry entries in HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Editor2.

I tested Orca's launcher and it works. However, Orca's .ini file also removes anything else in the ZabaraKatranemia Plc subkey. When I looked at that subkey with Registry Commander I saw I had other entries for another app, xplorer2, which isn't installed as a portable app. You could change the yaP launcher ini file as below to preserve those entries if you have a similar setup, which would also delete the HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc subkey if empty, otherwise just use the Orca's yaP launcher as is to remove and save all the settings:

Code: Select all

[BEFORE]
regkey = HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Editor2

[AFTER]
-regkey = HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Editor2
-regkey = HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc :: ifempty
Below are the before and after screenshots before running Editor2 with Orca's modified yaP launcher (with changes above) and after closing it. If you run Orca's launcher, the entire contents of the ZabaraKatranemia Plc subkey will be removed from the registry and saved to the Editor2 yaP launcher settings.reg file, including any entries for other applications by the same developer if they exist. That shouldn't do any harm, but that means copying and removing extra subkeys, and if another of the developer's apps exist, those settings will be written or overwritten each time either Editor2 or the other app(s) are started and closed. That could make for a confusing situation.
editor2_before.jpg
editor2_after.jpg
Last edited by TP109 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

__philippe

#11 Post by __philippe »

@TP109
Remarkable detective work, thanks.

The suggested code enhancement to Orca's yaP launcher illustrates nicely the synergy alive across independent TPFC fellow hackers.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

FYI, Editor2 is supposed to be natively portable if an 'ed2.ini' file is present alongside the executable. I haven't tested it recently, so YMMV... :?

TP109

#13 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote:FYI, Editor2 is supposed to be natively portable if an 'ed2.ini' file is present alongside the executable. I haven't tested it recently, so YMMV... :?
Just tested it with an ed2.ini file and it didn't work. Maybe other settings within the ini file are required? I tested it using ver 2.5.0.5 of Editor2.

Additional Testing

I tested using an ed2.ini file with ver 2.9.1.13 Ansi and it saves the settings to the ini file. So it looks like that will work depending on the version.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

TP109 wrote:So it looks like that will work depending on the version.
Editor2 native portability is a relatively recent enhancement -- from my files it is present since v2.9.1.6, but I can't guarantee it was when it appeared* (or even if it works...). :?

Further portability info from the developer can be read at http://zabkat.com/x2h_9.htm#sap_bri.

*) it was already present back in 2013, as I posted about at viewtopic.php?p=63002#p63002.
Last edited by Midas on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

__philippe

#15 Post by __philippe »

Editor2 v2.9.2.4 (link date 9-11-2016) also confirmed portable - thankfully free of any registry shenanigan...;-)

This Editor2 recent version is embedded in the free xplorer2_lite_setup.exe package available here http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

CLI shortcut to extract exclusively the Editor2 components from the setup package:
c:\>7z e xplorer2_lite_setup.exe edit*.*

To secure portability (as mentioned by Midas and TP109 before), either create an empty ED2.INI file in the Editor2.exe folder,
or invoke Editor2 from the command line with a portable settings option, so:
c:\>Editor2 /I:settings.INI