DC++ (aka DC plusplus or DC pp)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
juvera

DC++ (aka DC plusplus or DC pp)

#1 Post by juvera »

I just found this link: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
It is open source, freeware and portable.
I don't know if many people have an interest in this software, but if yes, it seems promising.
File size: close to 70 Mb.

From the web page:
DC++ announces the freedom to share! DC++ is an open source client for Windows for the Direct Connect / Advanced Direct Connect network.
Direct Connect allows you to share files over the Internet without restrictions or limits. The client is completely free of advertisements and has a nice, easy to use interface. Firewall and router support is integrated and it is easy and convenient to use functionality like multi-hub connections, auto-connections and resuming of downloads.

Not yet tested!

Does s.o have any previous experience?

tproli

Re: DC++ (aka DC plusplus or DC pp)

#2 Post by tproli »

I have used it about ten years ago but cannot tell anything about its portability.

Userfriendly

#3 Post by Userfriendly »

I started using DC++ about ten years ago as well just before bittorrent became a thing. I've used a couple of the forks like strongdc++, peerweb dc++ and now Apex DC++. I haven't used it for a very long time but I do keep a client handy just in case.

As for portability, you can check out the FAQ they've written about settings files. You can simply change where it writes/read the settings by editing the dcppboot.xml file.

On the download page, you can download a zip archive which has already been made portable. The descriptions on the page even says so.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I rarely trust what a developer says unless they have a good history of providing Portable applications.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Portable Freeware Discussion
Portable Payware Discussion

@moderator
please move to discussion / submission

smaragdus

Re: DC++ 0.861

#6 Post by smaragdus »

smaragdus

Re: DC++ 0.862

#7 Post by smaragdus »

DC++ at version 0.862. I am surprised that not a single Direct Connect client has been added to the database.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

I think there are currently very few users of this protocol, sadly...

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:DC++ at version 0.862. I am surprised that not a single Direct Connect client has been added to the database.
I've tried several tools in this class over time and I can't seem to make it work properly. It just seems like either a broken network or one that requires special access. I have trouble suggest people use something that I can't decypher. It's been one of the reasons I was so excited about the various Tox tools: the setup and benefits are so easy and obvious.

If I need to retest DC++ or another client because it's come a long way or really belongs in the database, let me know.

Userfriendly

#10 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork wrote:
smaragdus wrote:DC++ at version 0.862. I am surprised that not a single Direct Connect client has been added to the database.
I've tried several tools in this class over time and I can't seem to make it work properly. It just seems like either a broken network or one that requires special access. I have trouble suggest people use something that I can't decypher. It's been one of the reasons I was so excited about the various Tox tools: the setup and benefits are so easy and obvious.

If I need to retest DC++ or another client because it's come a long way or really belongs in the database, let me know.
DC++ protocol was one of the more reliable ways of getting rare stuff back before torrents were the thing but nowadays not so much. It requires a lot of dedication on the sharing part.

First you needed to download a hublist to see all the hubs you could connect to. Get a public hub list http://dchublist.biz/?do=hubs or maybe one already listed in the client. Last time I checked, the big public hubs are mostly russian now. Then you have to choose a hub that has people sharing the specific type of files you wanted to get. To get access to the hub, at first you will need to meet the minimum share data, something like 10GB worth of files, usually it has to be the same as what the hubs theme is. Like if the Hub is all about sharing music, then you need to have like 10GB worth of mp3's. If you join with 5GB worth of dummy files and maybe only 5GB worth of legit music, a moderator will download your file list and see you got nothing but mostly junk and promptly kick you out. But it looks like the big russian public hubs nowadays are free-for-all with no requirements.

Once you get it in, its fun downloading other peoples file lists and seeing what they have to share. Sometimes you find someone with a treasure trove of stuff. You can do file name searches for something specific but it still required downloading everyones file lists. So usually you just download a file list from anyone who are sharing the most data. They usually have all the good stuff and will most like have their upload stots constantly taken. So you'll have to do a lot of waiting before you can actually download from them.

I like that it also doubles as a chat client since you can chat up all the people present in each hub. Kinda like IRC but more focused on the file sharing part. I mean at least that's what I thought back in the early 2000's when there were a lot more english speaking hubs... I made some file sharing buddies back then. We all liked video game music or anime stuff so we shared our VGM's or whatever fansub we got off IRC bots.

The protocol is still pretty much alive... in Russia... I just don't think its just worth using it unless you're really hardcore into filesharing. Public hubs are like not super safe at all though. The feds can see exactly what your sharing lol. So most people with stuff to actually share are in small private hubs... between friends or between students in a college campus or the "underground" ones nobody knows about.

But if you still wanna keep trying it, I would suggest alternative clients like Apex DC++, Air DC++ and Flylink DC++. More features and stuff.

I tried to get back into this a few years ago but I just couldn't muster the energy to organize my files, choose what I wanted to share, finding and joining the right hubs, finding people that have the with files that I want and all that business. Clicking a torrent link to download is just so much easier.

smaragdus

Re: DC++

#11 Post by smaragdus »

@Userfriendly
A good write-up, thanks.
Almost all Direct Connect clients are not original work but DC++ clones. Most of these DC++ forks are now abandoned. I have used several and for me they are more or less the same. Currently I am using AirDC++ (version 3.0.0) and I do not plan to update to the current version because features have been removed. I remember I dumped ApexDC++ because it forced users to upgrade to the latest version. At a certain time AirDC++ had a similar behaviour but as of version 3.0.0 updates are not mandatory (although update check cannot be disabled)- if they were I would have dumped this client too. I remember that years ago here where I live (I am not from Russia) Direct Connect was very popular and local hubs were crowded. I think that one of the reasons for the decline of Direct Connect is the overall decline of the computer literacy of younger generations. Yet here there are small but still active communities. I remember to have talked with interesting and knowledgeable people at these hubs.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:DC++ protocol was one of the more reliable ways of getting rare stuff back before torrents were the thing but nowadays not so much. It requires a lot of dedication on the sharing part.
Interesting breakdown, thanks.
smaragdus wrote:I think that one of the reasons for the decline of Direct Connect is the overall decline of the computer literacy of younger generations. Yet here there are small but still active communities. I remember to have talked with interesting and knowledgeable people at these hubs.
Maybe we could adding a DC client to the database if we could also intro/disclaimer?

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

:!: FYI, smaragdus posted a warning concerning AirDC++ at https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums ... hp?t=23264.

smaragdus

#14 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas

Userfriendly posted a comment that for me is pure gold and because of its importance for anyone who wants to cope with the vicious modern Direct Connect clients I will quote it here:
Userfriendly wrote:Out of all the currently actively maintained DC++ clients, FlylinkDC++ seems to be the only which has settings to disable auto update. If you want to keep using your current client without the nag, then just block the update server.

Put this in your hosts file to block update servers for DC++, Apex, Air, and Flylink.
0.0.0.0 dcplusplus.sourceforge.net
0.0.0.0 update.apexdc.net
0.0.0.0 version.airdcpp.net
0.0.0.0 update.fly-server.ru

Here's an answer to why DC++ may be using port 25 https://dcpp.wordpress.com/2006/10/09/w ... end-email/
My first Direct Connect client was StrongDC++ but it was abandoned about 6 years ago and it didn't support Unicode as far as I can remember. Then I switched to ApexDC++ but I dumped it because of the mandatory updates. For some time AirDC++ was not that compulsory about updates and it only notified me about the available updates. For me these mandatory updates are intolerable and they have the same atrocious behaviour like Windows 10 update prompts, closing the update notification message starts the update immediately, for me this is a crime!

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

Good info. Thanks. 8)