Jarte - word processor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
spacefrog99

Jarte - word processor

#1 Post by spacefrog99 »

[Mod note: the present is the official forum topic for Jarte; https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1407]

Hi,
Jarte is a text editor with a unique interface and many features. It uses the Windows built-in word processing engine at its core, but offers far more functionality then WordPad. This makes Jarte a great replacement for both the WordPad word processor and the NotePad text editor programs. Jarte opens rich text and plain text documents including DOC documents created with Microsoft Word. Some of the features include multi-document support, formatting tools, customizable background pattern and color schemes as well as clip functions, spell check, multi-level undo, USB drive installation and much more.

Screenshot : http://www.jarte.com/screen_shots.html
Download : http://www.jarte.com/downloads/jarte_30.zip

Spacefrog99

Ennovy

#2 Post by Ennovy »

Hi spacefrog99

Welcome here, and thanks for sharing this. :wink:
Looks nice and I like the interface and features. I'm gonna use this for a while for further testing.

JohnW

#3 Post by JohnW »

I'll echo what Ennovy has posted.
The home site looks first class; a real pleasure to browse.
The software at first glance looks interesting and a real find.
Assuming it's portable then it must be placed in the database ASAP.

Checker

#4 Post by Checker »

Looks great!
Thanks spacefrog99

grannyGeek

#5 Post by grannyGeek »

I like the improvements to the interface, I will try out this version ASAP.
I tried the previous version for a bit, and it has tons of good features, but the old interface was just a little too awkward for me, and I lost patience.

Thanks for posting it.

Cornflower

Jarte Word Processer

#6 Post by Cornflower »

Just discovered Jarte. Intriguing interface. Fast. I especially like it's included spell check (Canadian English!) and its ability to link to online dictionary, thesaurus, and wikipedia using the word under the cursor or highlighted. Very fast.

Looks portable to me using Regshot and Dependency walker.

"Jarte is a free, tabbed word processor based on the Microsoft WordPad word processing engine built into Windows. Like WordPad, Jarte is fast starting, easy to use, reliable, requires little screen space, and creates documents perfectly compatible with Word. But Jarte reveals the WordPad engine's true hidden power by adding many features Microsoft never made available in the WordPad program. Jarte can even be run directly from a USB flash drive."

Installation:
a) Uninstall the ZIP version to a directory. That's it.
b) If using the Setup version, Install to hard drive. Click on Options button and choose "Install to USB Drive". After this installation, uninstall the program through Start Menu. (verified with regshot to leave no traces)
Options are stored in subdirectory Data\Settings.ini

Homepage: http://www.jarte.com/
Download: Setup - http://www.jarte.com/downloads/jarte_30_setup.exe
Zip - http://www.jarte.com/downloads/jarte_30.zip

Cornflower.

Ennovy

#7 Post by Ennovy »

Hello cornflower

Yes, that is very nice software.
It was submitted earlier:http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2376
Thanks for the extra information.
I am using it now also :wink:
It defenitely belongs in the TPFC database :!:

Cornflower

#8 Post by Cornflower »

You are right, Ennovy!

I had searched TPFC, but for some reason interpreted the green "+ forum topics that match ..." as part of the "Search results (0)". Duh.

At 5 megs, it is just about the largest thing on my USB key, save FirefoxPortable and Thunderbird Portable, but with pdf, .doc, and .rtf and suche ase of use, it may well be a keeper.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Cornflower

grannyGeek

#9 Post by grannyGeek »

You can lose almost 3 mb of that :)

for what it's worth, I UPX'd the exe and dll files, and combined size for those files went from 4.25 mb to 1.35 mb.
I'm using Lupo's UPXTool +.

I've read elsewhere that some drives might be slower running upx'd files because of time needed for decompression, but I haven't seen any slow-downs on the apps I have compressed.

Local

#10 Post by Local »

Yay for UPX.

I've heard quite the opposite GrannyGeek.
Everything I hear is that UPX'd files are faster to open.

I do know I've never had any slowdown at all either and I use it all the time

Queue

#11 Post by Queue »

You're likely dealing with misinformed people if they're claiming that UPX decompression will slow down an application's launch.

Using NRV compression (UPX's default compression, as opposed to UPX 3.00+'s new LZMA option), you'll be getting at least 100 MB/sec decompression on any relatively modern PC, likely faster than that. Considering HUGE executable's are 10 MB, and most are much smaller, you're not even going to spend a tenth of a second waiting for the program to decompress. In addition, flash drives often read at 10 MB/sec or slower, which means a UPX compressed EXE will read faster off the flash drive, than the time lost decompressing in memory.

LZMA is significantly slower than NRV (possibly 10 times slower), but also packs the file smaller, so you're going to get a faster file read off the flash drive, save more space, and still deal with decompression that takes less than a second.

The only time compressed executables will give you trouble is when an over-zealous active virus scanner decides it wants to unpack and scan the executable before it's allowed to run, and this won't be much slower than an active virus scanner will make a program launch anyway.

QM

m^(2)

#12 Post by m^(2) »

Queue wrote:You're likely dealing with misinformed people if they're claiming that UPX decompression will slow down an application's launch.

Using NRV compression (UPX's default compression, as opposed to UPX 3.00+'s new LZMA option), you'll be getting at least 100 MB/sec decompression on any relatively modern PC, likely faster than that. Considering HUGE executable's are 10 MB, and most are much smaller, you're not even going to spend a tenth of a second waiting for the program to decompress. In addition, flash drives often read at 10 MB/sec or slower, which means a UPX compressed EXE will read faster off the flash drive, than the time lost decompressing in memory.

LZMA is significantly slower than NRV (possibly 10 times slower), but also packs the file smaller, so you're going to get a faster file read off the flash drive, save more space, and still deal with decompression that takes less than a second.

The only time compressed executables will give you trouble is when an over-zealous active virus scanner decides it wants to unpack and scan the executable before it's allowed to run, and this won't be much slower than an active virus scanner will make a program launch anyway.

QM
It all depends on a program. Sometimes it may be a significant slowdown - on slow media like bluetooth and executable that has some big, rarely used things inside (like a video to be shown in "about" window) will start slower. Why? Because UPXed .exe has to be fully loaded to memory on startup, while uncompressed - just the parts being accessed.

Queue

#13 Post by Queue »

Fair enough, I totally forgot an executable doesn't always load itself entirely into memory. =D

QM

Andrew Lee

#14 Post by Andrew Lee »

Is there any way to make Jarte write settings to the app folder?

Although the online help mentions that it will do so when run from a USB drive, I was wondering if there is a more generic way of triggering this eg. command-line parameter etc.

Cornflower

#15 Post by Cornflower »

If you install it once, then choose install to USB (then choose either the USB drive or any hard drive) it will create a Data directory directly below the app directory. In this subdirectory is Settings.ini with the configuration.

You can I can now copy the Jarte directory anywhere, and as long as the Data subdirectory with settings.ini exists, it will be treated as local.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a way to do the first-time install in such a way as it is portable. This isn't too bad, though.