Notepad3 - text editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Notepad3 - text editor

#1 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note:
---

Another Notepad2 fork "Notepad3". I don't know if this deserves it's own thread yet so I'm putting it here as there are after all quite a few programmer editors here on the site. I haven't tested this yet but it's from Rizonesoft who's done a few things here on the site including Complete Internet Repair, CD-DVD Repair, Rizone Pixel Repair, and Memory Booster.
Changes compared to Notepad2

Code folding
Support for bookmarks
Option to mark all occurrences of a word
Word auto-completion
Syntax highlighting support for AutoHotkey, AutoIt3, AviSynth, Bash, CMake, CoffeeScript, Inno Setup, LaTeX, Lua, Markdown, NSIS, Ruby, Tcl, YAML and VHDL scripts
Improved support for NFO ANSI art.
Support for replacing Windows Notepad using a clean, unintrusive registry-based method.
Other various minor changes and tweaks
He also appears to have added some encryption https://rizonesoft.com/notepad3-build-289-released/ , though I recommend using other, well-tested encryption methods like TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt.

smaragdus

Re: Notepad2-mod

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
I think that Notepad3 should have its own thread because it is a different program.
Notepad3 download page.
Notepad3 looks cute:
Notepad3 0.2.8.289 - 2016-04-06 - 001.png
but like every Scintilla-based editor it cannot detect URLs.

lintalist

#3 Post by lintalist »

webfork wrote:......... to have added some encryption https://rizonesoft.com/notepad3-build-289-released/ , though I recommend using other, well-tested encryption methods like TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt.
Just fyi and probably a false positive: That might be the cause of my AV removing it automatically after downloading it. If you upload the zip file to virus total you get a 9 / 56 score

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote:... probably a false positive ... 9 / 56[/url]
That is an admittedly high score. I do wish Rizone would do this using Github or something similar rather than leaning on his existing website and comments system. That might help with the A/V suspicions. Also, I can't find where he's hosting the source code.
smaragdus wrote:I think that Notepad3 should have its own thread because it is a different program.
I try to attach programs to an existing thread to see if there's real interest. It's a fairly simple procedure to push it to a new thread if people are really drawn to it.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:... but like every Scintilla-based editor it cannot detect URLs.

A shame, really, because, along with case transformation and time-stamping, URL activation is part of the trinity of mandatory basic features I look for in any text editor. :(

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
A shame, really, because, along with case transformation and time-stamping, URL activation is part of the trinity of mandatory features I look for in any text editor. :(
I totally concur with you, I would also add tabs, minimization to tray and portability, that's why I don't use the cute-looking XPad.

Enternal

#7 Post by Enternal »

smaragdus wrote:@Midas
A shame, really, because, along with case transformation and time-stamping, URL activation is part of the trinity of mandatory features I look for in any text editor. :(
I totally concur with you, I would also add tabs, minimization to tray and portability, that's why I don't use the cute-looking XPad.
Notepad2-mod is portable and does have minimization to tray (Settings > Minimize to Tray). I don't know how I feel about tabs though. Notepad2 and its forks have always been about "simplicity" which is why they refused to add tabs and I agree with them. Yet I also at the same time want tabs too. I'm conflicted.

BTW, from what I see, Notepad2-mod does have case transformation (although very simple) and some form of time stamping (but format is not customizable). All in all though, Notepad2* as a purely Windows notepad replacement is EXCELLENT. I have it set as my default text editor on Windows and if I ever need more power, then I would use Notepad++ or any other powerful editors. But strictly as simple notepad replacement, I think Notepad2-mod is almost unbeatable.

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

@Enternal
I deal with text documents containing URLs daily and URL detection is indispensable for me. My default text editor is AkelPad (it looks very simple but it can be extended via plug-ins), for more sophisticated tasks I use Notepad++ and from time to time- some others (BDV Notepad, EditBone, etc). Scintilla is an old project and I wonder why its developers for years on end refuse to add a feature as common and simple as URL detection.

Enternal

#9 Post by Enternal »

smaragdus wrote:@Enternal
I deal with text documents containing URLs daily and URL detection is indispensable for me. My default text editor is AkelPad (it looks very simple but it can be extended via plug-ins), for more sophisticated tasks I use Notepad++ and from time to time- some others (BDV Notepad, EditBone, etc). Scintilla is an old project and I wonder why its developers for years on end refuse to add a feature as common and simple as URL detection.
Yeah very true. The ability to just click the URLs to open them up instead of copy and paste would be very nice as well. Fortunately I switched a lot of my text files to Evernote so I no longer need that as much compared to the past when I saved everything into text files (I have so many text files littered all over my HDD back then). However I can totally see your point on that and it's unfortunate that the Scintilla team refused to add certain features. Sound like old baggers who don't like "upgrades" haha. I know it's not a good representation of their project but even after all these years, their website is still horrible to look at and the default font they choose for their own editors is just horrid.

Anyway I will have to test AkelPad again. I tried it in the past but did not like it much back then. Maybe it improved a lot since then. Thanks for reminding me about it again.

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Enternal wrote:But strictly as simple notepad replacement, I think Notepad2-mod is almost unbeatable.

I gabbed about this elsewhere, so I'll just name my current top 3 notepad replacement winners: editor2, win32pad (32-bit only), and, ex-aequo, Akelpad and Metapad... :)

Rizonesoft191

Notepad3 Text Editor

#11 Post by Rizonesoft191 »

Hi, Could you please consider the following portable product for TPFC.

Program: Notepad3
Version: 1.0.2.350
Download: http://www.rizonesoft.com/download/note ... SYIq5iEAnj
System Requirements: Win7 / Win8 / Win10
Writes settings to: Application folder
Stealth: Yes
Unicode support: Yes
Path portability: Automatic relative path (eg. ..\..\personal\work.doc)
License: Open Source
How to extract: Download the zip package and extract t.

Description:
Notepad3 is a fast and light-weight Scintilla-based text editor with syntax highlighting. Notepad3 is an excellent replacement for the default Windows text editor. Notepad3 offers many extra features over Notepad. It has a small memory footprint, but is powerful enough to handle most programming jobs.

It does not write any data to the registry (uses an ini in the application directory).

Attachments
Notepad3 Build 350 Screen.jpg

webfork

Re: Notepad3 Text Editor

#12 Post by webfork »

Rizonesoft191 wrote:Hi, Could you please consider the following portable product for TPFC.
This has been discussed before but I was waiting for the next release to give the program it's own thread. I have merged them.

Are you the developer?

Rizonesoft191

Re: Notepad3 Text Editor

#13 Post by Rizonesoft191 »

webfork wrote:Are you the developer?
Yes I am the developer.

smaragdus

Re: Notepad3

#14 Post by smaragdus »

@Rizonesoft191

Welcome to the forum.

I know that Notepad3 is based on Scintilla which doesn't seem to support URL detection (clickable links) but anyway, I would like to ask- is there a way to implement such a feature? This is what I miss in your text editor.

Midas

Re: Notepad 3 - text editor

#15 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:I would like to ask- is there a way to implement such a feature? This is what I miss in your text editor.
+1 :!:

As stated previously, URL activation, time stamping and easy character case conversion are the three main functionalities I first look for in any text editor...

BTW, there's another RizoneSoft topic in "Submission" at viewtopic.php?t=5180 ...