Snipaste

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Snipaste

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Snipaste is a simple but powerful snipping tool, and also allows you to pin the screenshot back onto the screen.
http://www.snipaste.com/

Review @ http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... -elements/
Last edited by I am Baas on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Specular

Re: Snipaste

#2 Post by Specular »

Interesting concept with the pinnable screenshots ability. The floating UI reminds me Image Uploader's capture tool. If it had the ability to configure uploading directly to image hosts it would be ideal, though it seems to be focused on its own thing which I respect too.

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

Great find, I am Baas, thank you. Snipaste is cute, easy, useful and absolutely deserves to be added to the database.

smaragdus

Re: Snipaste 1.3

#4 Post by smaragdus »

Snipaste has been added to the database.
The developer recommends installation of Visual C++ Redistributable for VS 2015 in case of DLL errors.
I could not find the system requirements- I presume Snipaste should be able to run on Windows XP or later. XP users- please check wheher Snipaste runs on Windows XP.
I could not find any change log either.
I will appreciate of someone checks Snipaste's stealth status.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

smaragdus wrote:I could not find any change log either.
I could only find a Chinese one at http://zh.snipaste.com/download.html (G Translated)

Code: Select all

• Fix: multi-screen (primary screen on the right) Press Alt to draw a dotted line when the shot is wrong
• Repair: In the case of multi-screen, full-screen window of detection beyond the current scope screen
• Fixed: When you hold down the Alt, double-click on the map after the window sticker window is hidden and can not take the color of the window is still closed
• New: Shift + Up / Down / Left / Right narrow area theme screenshot ◦ expanded region Ctrl + Up / Down / Left / Right
◦ Move the cursor to w / s / a / d (available by pressing the left mouse button while moving the cursor control)
• New: Traditional Chinese translation (thanks zhtw)
smaragdus wrote:I will appreciate of someone checks Snipaste's stealth status.
The version I tested was stealth but I will download and re-test v1.3 for portability and sys requirements.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

EDIT: This post formerly listed the wrong Softpedia link as a license reference. (thanks smaragdus)

Maybe the most interesting thing is that the author seems to be working on a cross-platform tool, since that would be unique for this program type. I've only ever seen a screen recorder written in Java that didn't work well.
Last edited by webfork on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (zapped bad link, fixed redundant wording)

smaragdus

#7 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
Your reference to Softpedia is incorrect, so far Snipaste has not been reviewed at Softpedia, Snippy and Snipaste are different programs.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

Awesome! Voted. 8)

__philippe

#9 Post by __philippe »

smaragdus wrote:...I presume Snipaste should be able to run on Windows XP or later. XP users- please check wheher Snipaste runs on Windows XP....
IanFromBarrie recently (29-JUL-2016) commented about Snipaste v1.3 NOT running under Win XP.

I'd steer die-hard XP users toward good ole FastStone Capture v5.3 instead.

smaragdus

#10 Post by smaragdus »

@philippe

I am sorry for the confusion my blind and totally inaccurate supposition raised. I thank anFromBarrie and you for testing Snipaste on Windows XP. I changed "System Requirements" line in the database entry.

FastStone Capture is nice and I still use it (it is one of my favourites together with Greenshot) but it is not compatible with Windows 8 and one needs to run it on compatibility mode. On Windows XP it is great.

Actually Snipaste's strength is not capturing itself put the handling of the captured content.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:@webfork
Your reference to Softpedia is incorrect, so far Snipaste has not been reviewed at Softpedia, Snippy and Snipaste are different programs.
Yep, sorry. Adding a note to my post.

Thanks to Baas for suggesting the program smaragdus for adding this to the database. This is a really impressive tool that I'm so far really enjoying.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Some usage notes ...

Great for:
  • Program mockups and/or building quick interface modifications
  • Quickly referencing something from another window, especially lots of small things from lots of windows, which can be lined up along the side of the screen
  • Setting up post-it note style pastes
Try this
  • I came across this by accident: draw a box anywhere on the screen and then right-click different areas and it'll show you different element boxes. Awesome.
Caveat
  • Not a complete screen capture program as it won't do full screen captures unless you drag from one end of the screen to the other.
  • ShareX will do a lot of what this program does and has a ton more features, but Snipaste is simple, sharp, and (as smaragdus put it) awesome in it's handling of the captured content
Wishlist/Ideas
  • Help file of some kind (What is “destory”? Was that supposed to be “Destroy”? What happens when you double-click an image?)
  • Undo button / action (CTRL+Z) to go back one step in any operation
  • Capture
    • Grab and manage multiple images
    • Auto-save all captures (since no PNG file captured by this program is going to ever fill up an entire 10 gig thumb drive)
    • Save all images visible on screen
  • Viewer
    • Ability to open images from file. Workaround: capture something and then choose “Replace by file”
    • Minimizing something to it's smallest possible size should turn any image into a simple button on it's own (thinking roughly 32x32 pixels) which you can restore by CTRL+Click or something similar
    • Grab and move multiple floating images (e.g. while holding CTRL); Grab and move all images simultaneously
    • Resize by either width or height – right now just resizes by both.
    • Group images together so they don't move independently
  • Editor
    • Dropper button inside the color selection menu that will let you pick a color on screen without having to run another capture (and memorize all 3 RGB numbers)
    • Modify font size inside editor without going out to the preferences menu. (Since the editor is so easy to jump in and out of, this is a very low priority addition.)
    • Control the transparency of the “fill” tool (which is probably more commonly known as a highlighter)

smaragdus

#13 Post by smaragdus »

Presumably the developer is reading our forum since he created a XP version, very nice.

Change Log for Snipaste version 1.4 (via Google Translate):
- Added: XP Edition
- New: Use the Backspace key to delete the shortcuts
- Added: Esc hide decals, Shift + Esc destroyed map
- (Added option) key while pressing the texture maps in any flicker, automatically hide all maps
- Negative number appears Shift + arrow key interception narrow range: Repair
XP users please test the XP version. I have re-added XP and Vista as supported OS but confirmation is needed.

Edit
Snipaste was reviewed at SnapFiles and was awarded a rating of 4.5/5.

Edit
Snipaste was reviewed at Softpedia and was awarded a rating of 4.0/5.

smaragdus

Re: Snipaste 1.5

#14 Post by smaragdus »

Snipaste at version 1.5, there are lots of changes. Note that the whole change log has been translated to English.

smaragdus

Re: Snipaste at Bitbucket

#15 Post by smaragdus »

At Bitbucket one can grab previous versions of Snipaste.