Quick Access Popup

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JnLlnd

Re: Quick Access Popup

#16 Post by JnLlnd »

webfork wrote:I did an entry edit to crop the screenshot (as I think Baas was suggesting)
Thanks!

joby_toss

#17 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you for the new Snippets feature (v7.2.1)!

Any way I can save and paste words with diacritics in them (ș,ț)?

JnLlnd

#18 Post by JnLlnd »

joby_toss wrote:Thank you for the new Snippets feature (v7.2.1)!

Any way I can save and paste words with diacritics in them (ș,ț)?
Hi. I could not reproduce the issue you illustrated usinq QAP v7.2.1 64-bit. I frequently used French accentuated chars without problem. And I tried with the characters you gave in your example and I was able to use them in the menu name and in the snippet's content:

It is one of my goal to have QAP running well on any Windows localization. I hope we can find why you face this issue and what would be the solution to it.

joby_toss

#19 Post by joby_toss »

It must be something wrong with my fonts then; I'll keep investigating and post back if I find something, thank's!

JnLlnd

#20 Post by JnLlnd »

If one could update Quick Access Popup page (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2765&ts=1483513088). The following section should now read:
How to extract:
Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Depending on your operating system, launch one of the following:
32-bit: QuickAccessPopup-32-bit.exe
64-bit: QuickAccessPopup-64-bit.exe
If you're not sure, launch the 32-bit.
The version number of the executable in the ZIP is now specified in a text file named QAP-[version].txt. This makes it easier to update to app simply by overwriting the previous version.

Thank you and Happy new year!

lintalist

#21 Post by lintalist »

@JnLlnd you can easily edit your own entry as you have enough reputation to do so now. It is acceptable to do so (or so I've been told and I do it for my own program as well). People can see you've edited it and also see the changes you've made so if others don't like it they can revert or revise your edits.

JnLlnd

#22 Post by JnLlnd »

Sorry for the dummy question but I can't find the Edit link...

smaragdus

#23 Post by smaragdus »

@JnLlnd
JnLlnd wrote:Sorry for the dummy question but I can't find the Edit link...
See the screen below:

You must be logged in to be able to see Edit this entry menu.

JnLlnd

#24 Post by JnLlnd »

Yeah. Sorry for missing this. And thanks.

Andrew Lee

#25 Post by Andrew Lee »

I just received this from the developer:
Hi Andrew,

I wanted to inform you that Quick Access Popup (QAP) will change its license and sponsoring model for the version v11 to be released in the next week. Instead of relying volunteer donations, QAP now requires a paid licence (lifetime licence or yearly/monthly subscription). A free edition (full features) is still available but requires a free licence. Finally, the app will continue to be available in a portable ZIP file.

As I plan to dedicate a larger part of my working time to maintaining, improving QAP and supporting its users, I want to develop a modest, but long term source of income covering my expenses (like security certificates, hosting and various licenses, etc.) and some of the hours spent maintaining QAP. You can find more info in this message posted to QAP forum users: https://forum.quickaccesspopup.com/show ... p?tid=1208

I want to thank PortableFreeware.com for promoting QAP and its predecessor Folders Popup. I'll let you decide if the fact that QAP remains available for free and in portable format, justifies if it can stay in this directory or not.

Jean

billon

#26 Post by billon »

Comparison

Quick Access Popup (Free Edition)
Quick Access Popup can be used for free with all its features.

[...]

To download QAP, click the button below and fill in the simple registration form.

After checking out, you will receive an email with:
  • your DOWNLOAD LINKS for the "Easy Setup" executable file and the "Portable installation" ZIP file;
  • your LICENSE CODE to insert when you launch Quick Access Popup (valid for three months, renewable);
  • and a PASSWORD to manage your license (allowing to remove it from an unused computer).
This email is sent by email immediately after you checkout. If you don't see it in your inbox, please check your spam folder.
So, now it's (free)registerware? What do with the entry?

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

billon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:50 pm So, now it's (free)registerware? What do with the entry?
Good catch -- glad to know about this.

While registration is not expressly forbidden, this case is probably a bridge too far. I dislike having to email someone to get a download link, but I will never test software where I have to email someone to request a key for access to a locally downloaded program. Like how much weird code obfuscation and/or local encryption does it take to enable that? And this is expecting repeated emails to request access? I recommend we just take down the entry. This is like if nagware and registerware had a baby.

---

EDIT: I do love the "free" complaint:
Quick Access Popup is available for free, but…

Software distribution incurs certain costs such as server location, SSL certificate or bandwidth.
Software certificates help distributing a software safely and keeping users confident. But this leads to more recurrent costs.
Using nice copyrighted icons in a distributed product requires paying licence fees.
Oh come off it. Just go commercial already.

TP109

#28 Post by TP109 »

Agree that the entry should be removed. This is the popup to register when launching the program:

hamasaki

#29 Post by hamasaki »

The free licence has to be renewed every 3 months, so that sucks. Shame really. I was going to donate, but as it's now being forced he can forget it.

lintalist

#30 Post by lintalist »

Unless there is a old(er) version easily available to download I'd vote to remove it, simply no longer freeware in my view.
The reasons given are mostly by choice and "made up" as for nearly every reason there is perfectly acceptable free way to host, distribute, "upgrade with fancy icons" as illustrated by dozens of TPFC favourites. I don't mind shareware and I pay for programs, although I do prefer freeware (who doesn't). If you want to make money, that is perfectly fine. I don't like disguising a program as "freeware" while it is clearly not.