Jarte - word processor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Jarte Guy

Re: Jarte v3.4

#31 Post by Jarte Guy »

Oops... sorry, Checker. I didn't see Jarte listed on the home page with other udpated apps, so I incorrectly assumed it had not been noticed. I guess not all app updates make it to the front page. You're obviously on top of things so I won't submit any more Jarte updates here.

Onesimus Prime

#32 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Dude - Checker, you scared the Program Dev away!!! :(

(I'm kidding :lol: - I hope...)

Checker

#33 Post by Checker »

@ Jarte Guy:
It wasn't my intention to scare you away.
You are always welcome :wink:

webfork

Re: Jarte text editor

#34 Post by webfork »

The entry has been updated based on smaragdus's suggestion in entry comments.

smaragdus

#35 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
Thanks, I run Jarte without reading the comments and was surprised to see that it was not portable. With the updated instructions the newcomers would be spared the inconvenience.

webfork

#36 Post by webfork »

Unfortunately with the new version comes a new annoyance: there multiple, unlabeled "pro" features, meaning several things you try to use pop up a 'please buy' msg. That throws this into the liteware category at best and crippleware at worst. You can see all the things that aren't going to work when you click on them in the pro features breakdown.

I'd prefer to link to an earlier version as this is really tedious.

Related: How not to do freemium.

smaragdus

#37 Post by smaragdus »

Unfortunately with the new version comes a new annoyance: there multiple, unlabeled "pro" features, meaning several things you try to use pop up a 'please buy' msg. That throws this into the liteware category at best and crippleware at worst. You can see all the things that aren't going to work when you click on them in the pro features breakdown.

I'd prefer to link to an earlier version as this is really tedious.
After I read your post I immediately reverted to the previous version (5.3). However this is not a piece of software I really need so I can easily dump it for good.

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:After I read your post I immediately reverted to the previous version (5.3). However this is not a piece of software I really need so I can easily dump it for good.
Yeah I'm just bummed because the only word processor below the sometimes rather bulky and slow LibreOffice is AbiWord, which has it's own oddities.

smaragdus

Re: Jarte - word processor

#39 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
I rarely edit anything different than plain text. For DOC and DOCX I use Atlantis Word Processor (which is neither free nor portable)- I purchased a license mainly because it can export to EPUB. I used to like Angel Writer but It doesn't behave very well on Windows 8 and seems to have been abandoned, just like AbiWord. Have you ever tried LyX? It seems to be a monster of a word processor (I haven't tested it yet).

Stephen Leibowitz

Jarte Version 6.0

#40 Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

SYSTEM

Re: Jarte Version 6.0

#41 Post by SYSTEM »

Thanks. I updated the database entry. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

Re: Jarte Version 6.0

#42 Post by webfork »

There is a new version of Jarte.
Wow, that’s a *lot* of changes. There are very few rich text editors for Windows in active development. That's very nice to see.

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

I retested recently and will definitely admit this has a ton of features but it doesn't support drag-and-drop of images, which is one of the most frequent things I do with a word processor. Weird.
smaragdus wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:02 pm @webforkHave you ever tried LyX? It seems to be a monster of a word processor (I haven't tested it yet).
I kept meaning to come back to LaTeX-based tools, but Markdown seems to have pushed those tools to the side, even though programs like Lyx have a lot more flexibility.

Lodewijk

#44 Post by Lodewijk »

For some reason I can't print documents with Jarte on my new laptop. The ctrl+p print preview does not work, nor does File > Print. The section for printing is grayed out. All the rest shows normal.

I don't understand how this can be, as it works fine on my identical but used for years laptop. (Both HP EliteBook 850 G1 made in 2014.)
I got the "as new" one a few months ago, keeping it unused for future use in case my used laptop would need repair.
The "as new" one was 1/3 of the new price as it had belonged to a lease company which it looks like hardly or never leased it. I got it from a know trusted site.

Funny to discover on my today for the first time used laptop that I cannot print an address label with it to be put on the box in which I received it, but in which I'm sending the used one on which I can print Jarte documents, but which needs to be send to the shop I bought that one from years ago, to have the since recently dead touchpad buttons fixed...

I'll write the address label by hand so as not to have to take the well packed oldie but goody out of the box, unwrap it, use it to print, wrap it up and put it back in the box again.

Any advise would be welcome. (Jarte Plus is now for free, and there is no customer service any longer.)
Last edited by Lodewijk on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lintalist

#45 Post by lintalist »

Lodewijk wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:34 amThe ctrl+p print preview does not work, nor does File > Print. The section for printing is grayed out. All the rest shows normal.
You may need to setup a printer first:
Documentation wrote:Print is disabled if Jarte can not find a printer on the computer - https://www.jarte.com/help_new/printing ... setup.html