Jovial Memos

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Jovial Memos

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Jovial Memos is a lightweight notes (which are referred as memos) editor.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jovialmemos/

Softpedia review @ http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... emos.shtml

Screenshot...
Jovial Memos.png
Jovial Memos.png (9.68 KiB) Viewed 24086 times
Require .net 4

Dl @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/jovialmemos/files/

I am Baas

Re: Jovial Memos

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Jovial Memos is at version 1.1.0 (28/01/2016)
1. Added search feature in the Memo Listing Page.
2. In Memo Detail Page, the content font is updated immediately for preview once a new font family, size or style is selected.
3. Changes the Timestamp and Last Updated Time to a more universal format, "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss". E.g. "2016-01-28 20:18:00".

This also allows proper sorting at the Memo Listing Page as previous format used doesn't have leading zero, thus causing wrong sorting order.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jovialmemos/files/

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Jovial Memos
How are the notes saved? Are they text files or as part of a database file? In other words, do you have to copy-paste or do some kind of export to get the notes out of Jovial?

tactictoe

#4 Post by tactictoe »

I tested this program as I like the idea of encryption to keep note private if needed.
How are the notes saved? Are they text files or as part of a database file? In other words, do you have to copy-paste or do some kind of export to get the notes out of Jovial?
The notes are saved into a XML file separated from the Category of note which is saved into another XML file. The software itself manage the link between the notes and and the category tag associated to them. So basically this software is an XML parser dedicated to note (encrypted/Private note or Clear/Public note with category). Still a neat and extra light software.

Category.xml - The file that contains all the "categories" created in Jovial Memos.
Note: they are four categories by default but you can edit too. The categories are Personal, Home, Work and General. 'All' is the extra category representing all the previous one.
Memo.xml - The file that contains all the memos that the user created.

These two file MUST be located into the application folder.

Other then cut and Paste I could not find a way to export these note, neither a way to print them. Otherwise you will need to parse the XML file for notes but what about the encrypted one? Another of my concern is how big the XML file can grow before negative impact? I suppose the software will permits to export and print note later on the track.
Other question what type of encryption is used? Where does it save the password? I still try to answer the last two one. Anyway, have all a nice day. :D

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

tactictoe wrote:
The notes are saved into a XML file separated from the Category of note which is saved into another XML file.
Thanks for the info. I'll check that out.

Edit: License: unknown. It's on SourceForge but I can't find the source.

javahoe

#6 Post by javahoe »

Thanks for using Jovial Memos.
I'm the developer. Let me answer your questions.

1. Exporting of notes is planned for the next version.
2. Encrypted notes are stored encrypted. The original text is not known unless decrypted using the same password used to encrypt it.
The password is not stored at all.
The program gets the password input from the user, use it to encrypt the note, save the encrypted note and does not save it anywhere.
The user needs to re-enter the same password to decrypt the note.
3. As the program has no way of showing the plain original text of the encrypted note without the correct password, the exported note will not show the original text. I will like just show a "encrypted text" string in the exported note.
4. For the encryption, I'm using the Rijndael algorithm.

You guys can email me at javahoe@gmail.com for any queries and comments, which I'll usually reply.

tactictoe wrote:I tested this program as I like the idea of encryption to keep note private if needed.
The notes are saved into a XML file separated from the Category of note which is saved into another XML file. The software itself manage the link between the notes and and the category tag associated to them. So basically this software is an XML parser dedicated to note (encrypted/Private note or Clear/Public note with category). Still a neat and extra light software.

Category.xml - The file that contains all the "categories" created in Jovial Memos.
Note: they are four categories by default but you can edit too. The categories are Personal, Home, Work and General. 'All' is the extra category representing all the previous one.
Memo.xml - The file that contains all the memos that the user created.

These two file MUST be located into the application folder.

Other then cut and Paste I could not find a way to export these note, neither a way to print them. Otherwise you will need to parse the XML file for notes but what about the encrypted one? Another of my concern is how big the XML file can grow before negative impact? I suppose the software will permits to export and print note later on the track.
Other question what type of encryption is used? Where does it save the password? I still try to answer the last two one. Anyway, have all a nice day. :D

tactictoe

#7 Post by tactictoe »

@javahoe

Welcome to the community and thank you for answering some of my concern. Thanks to provide an email address if the community should need more help that cannot be solved.

Have a nice day.

javahoe

#8 Post by javahoe »

Thanks, @tacktictoe.
All my programs are freeware.
They are all "standalone" in nature. That is, there's no installation or what so ever.
They are all able to run off an external storage by clicking on the .exe.
Only requirements is that you need .net framework installed in your system.
I'm a Java developer by profession. And doing freeware is my after-work hobby.
Feel free to email me any queries or comments (good and bad welcomed!)

Specular

#9 Post by Specular »

@javahoe Welcome to PF :)

I recognize your work from Jovial Notepad which I tried a while back and liked. Appreciate the minimalist designs.

Can remember addeding a feature request for Jovial Notepad for an optional line numbers setting about a year ago, checking back periodically in the hope it would be added. Still have my fingers crossed for a new release some time :D

javahoe

#10 Post by javahoe »

@Specular, I've actually added toggling the line number long ago.
But I thought of adding more features before releasing. I've been busy with work and also working on other Jovial software (such as the later Jovial Menu and Jovial Memos) that Jovial Notepad is neglected.
I will try to release an update soon.
I've also updated Jovial Menu to version 1.1 but not released to sourceforge yet.
Sigh.. I'm been lazy lately.. Particularly after the long Chinese New Year's break recently.

Specular

#11 Post by Specular »

javahoe wrote:@Specular, I've actually added toggling the line number long ago.
But I thought of adding more features before releasing. I've been busy with work and also working on other Jovial software (such as the later Jovial Menu and Jovial Memos) that Jovial Notepad is neglected.
I will try to release an update soon.
Ah, good to know! Thanks for the update.

javahoe

#12 Post by javahoe »

Guys, I've released v1.1.1 that fixed some bugs.
No new functions. Been lazy again.
Do let me know if you guys need any new functionalities.
The export function is in my roadmap and will be worked on soon.

I can be reached via:
javahoe@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/jovialnotepad/

Javahoe

javahoe

#13 Post by javahoe »

Guys, I've released v1.2.
This version adds support for multiple memo files.
As usual, you can download it from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jovialmemos

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm Edit: License: unknown. It's on SourceForge but I can't find the source.
Rechecked, no change.