Starter

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Andrew Lee

Starter

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

Application name: Starter

Website: http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/pr ... arter.html

Date tested: 2006-05-13

Reason: Writes settings to registry.

xor

Re: Starter

#2 Post by xor »

http://codestuff.obninsk.ru/products_starter.html
Can anyone test for portability.... Again?

billon

#3 Post by billon »

Portable, if you create file Starter.ini inside program folder before first launch.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

xor wrote:Can anyone test for portability.... Again?
It’s easily the best program of it’s kind that I've tested, though getting a little old with no listing for anything above Vista.

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

It is a pity that Starter hasn't been updated for so long and very likely it is abandoned for good but surprisingly it still works just fine on Windows 8 x64 which proves that well-written software ages slower.

@Moderators
Since Starter is portable I suggest this thread to be moved to the Portable Freeware Submission sub-forum.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Since Starter is portable I suggest this thread to be moved
Done. Not sure how I missed that.

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
Thanks.

tactictoe

#9 Post by tactictoe »

Works fine under my windows 8.1 64bits. Just to let you know... because...
Advertised here to work till win 7 and where I download it (http://codestuff.obninsk.ru/) it said till win vista but as you all said it is an old software (17.05.2009 - Starter v5.6.2.9)
Like it. Moved it to my work thumbdrive.

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

I can't get Starter to show me installed 64 bit apps in startup on my win7x64...

tactictoe

#11 Post by tactictoe »

joby_toss wrote:I can't get Starter to show me installed 64 bit apps in startup on my win7x64...
Must be an option... somewhere, it does show some startup 64bit software on my PC but I did not modify any options. I cannot see any options related to 64Bits apps. I guess it is inside the code you could have an answer... :(

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

Example:

WhatInStartup
64 bit

Starter

Note:
WhatInStartup 32 bit also fails in displaying installed 64 bit apps, same as Starter.
Sysinternals Autoruns works fine, but this one shows absolutely everything anyway. It has only one drawback: it can't be used to ADD entries.

SYSTEM

#13 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:Example:

WhatInStartup
64 bit
Ah, right. Your screenshot explains why it happens.

"Startup Type" of RTHDVCPL is "Registry - Machine Run". In other words, the program starts because it is in the "automatically started programs" list in Windows registry. ("Machine Run", in particular, means HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.)

The problem is registry redirection, which is part of WoW64. When a 32-bit program tries to obtain a list of automatically starting programs, it actually accesses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, without knowing it. The WOW6432Node copy of CurrentVersion\Run, in turn, only contains programs that themselves were added by 32-bit programs (which were redirected when they tried to write to CurrentVersion\Run), i.e. 32-bit installers. In other words, a 32-bit "automatically starting programs" application can only show programs which were installed with 32-bit installers, which of course are nearly always 32-bit programs.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tactictoe

#14 Post by tactictoe »

SYSTEM wrote: Ah, right. Your screenshot explains why it happens.

"Startup Type" of RTHDVCPL is "Registry - Machine Run". In other words, the program starts because it is in the "automatically started programs" list in Windows registry. ("Machine Run", in particular, means HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.)

The problem is registry redirection, which is part of WoW64. When a 32-bit program tries to obtain a list of automatically starting programs, it actually accesses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, without knowing it. The WOW6432Node copy of CurrentVersion\Run, in turn, only contains programs that themselves were added by 32-bit programs (which were redirected when they tried to write to CurrentVersion\Run), i.e. 32-bit installers. In other words, a 32-bit "automatically starting programs" application can only show programs which were installed with 32-bit installers, which of course are nearly always 32-bit programs.
I should have know that one, shame on me. :oops: But was close as I said the answer was in the code. Thanks System for this information.