filthy Editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

filthy Editor

#1 Post by I am Baas »

filthy Editor is a simple text editor
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filthyeditor/

Settings: None

Dl@ http://sourceforge.net/projects/filthyeditor/files/bin/ (32- and 64-bit versions available)

I am Baas

Re: filthy Editor

#2 Post by I am Baas »

The developer also lists filthy RTF editor on his personal Website @ http://www.cyberfilth.co.uk/software/
filthy RTFeditor, a simple RTF editor for Windows

Dl @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wdehqy90rcu6 ... r.exe?dl=1 (portable status untested)

tactictoe

#3 Post by tactictoe »

It's certainly not Notepad++ or the wordpad for the RTF version (not a critic, after all writers like non cumbersome editor: simple and efficient), but it's done in Lazarus... Yes, the pascal language is not dead, 8) Woo hoo. So I am testing it. :D
Thanks for the catch.

Have a nice day.

tactictoe

#4 Post by tactictoe »

Here are the results of the test for filthy editor:

A simple software made in Pascal, result is a single executable packed in a zip file.
To install the software if needed: simply extract it to the folder of your choice and run filthyEditor.exe. Alternatively you can run it from inside it's zip file.

No entry are made into the registry base, neither the software write anything in its own folder (ini files settings). Therefor the software starts always with it's factory default settings.
The icon to drive the software are easy to understand and common to most editor. There is a search facility included. The software starts the count of word typed the moment you enter a character on your keyboard, one or more space before/after a chain of alphanumerical char = one count). Simple and efficient little editor that can be themed (background colour of the editor part). Dialog windows looks and feels like the one of XP or 2000 (Printer, font...) but they are from Lazarus. So? This is a native multi OS application that should compile on Windows, Unix and Mac OS as it is said with no problem at all.

Test done on Win 7, 8.1 and 10 (all edition) and under VMWare for XP. All working good for me but a little bug explained below, no error.

The Click for help under the search dialog in not functional at all, it's a no go. It does not affect the software at all.
0.png
0.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 42808 times

Portable: Yes.
Stealth: Yes.

Conclusion: A very lightweight notepad replacement with a touch of nostalgia (theme proposed) you can carry as portable software on the most humble USB thumb-drive or a floppy disk if you still have one.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

tactictoe wrote:Therefor the software starts always with it's factory default settings.
  • Had already seen it but found it to limited even for a mere Notepad replacement: no configuration, no .LOG function, no URL activation, no date insertion, no case functions... no deal. ;)

tactictoe

#6 Post by tactictoe »

Midas wrote:
tactictoe wrote:Therefor the software starts always with it's factory default settings.
  • Had already seen it but found it to limited even for a mere Notepad replacement: no configuration, no .LOG function, no URL activation, no date insertion, no case functions... no deal. ;)
It does have a date stamp (same as the notepad) in its menu.
0.png
0.png (5.04 KiB) Viewed 42796 times
However the result is not system localized (12 or 24Hrs System). Sea time rule is enforced here.

Result in the editor:
1.png
1.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 42796 times
and the localized one of the Notepad:
x.png
x.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 42783 times
Please note time is before date with the official notepad of windows.

Except the word wrap options in the official Notepad from windows, it performs the same or has function working the same. Log, URL activation, case function are not present in the official notepad. But you are right it is a very simplistic. Still thought a notebook replacement candidate for people with simple need in this matter. My notepad replacement, but it is just me, is Notepad++ for similar reason of yours.

Thanks to join in Midas, :D

Have all a nice day.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

As they say, close but no cigar: my own locale prescribed form is "2016/02/09 22:51:00" (choice of separators optional, valid for the whole EU, conforming in fact with the ISO standard).

And even if Filthy Editor allowed for a change of date schema, it would revert to its default on next restart...

.LOG function IS present in official Notepad -- it was in fact defined by it. Check by yourself, save a file with ".LOG" at the first line and see how Notepad appends a time-stamp in the system defined default format every time you open that file.

But you are right about the remaining functions mentioned, that's why there's a need for Notepad replacements in the first place.

Notepad++ won't do, it's more of a programmers editor, it takes too long to start (cf. relevant TP109 tests) and the interface is far too loaded with options.

IMHO, the best options in this category are currently Metapad and Win32pad (32-bit only), followed by Editor2 and AkelPad (also 64-bit), all of which have their own quirks and shortcomings.

The issue has been discussed at lenght before here at TPFC forums -- e.g., see:

TP109

#8 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote: Notepad++ won't do, it's more of a programmers editor, it takes too long to start (cf. relevant TP109 tests) and the interface is far too loaded with options.

IMHO, the best options in this category are currently Metapad and Win32pad (32-bit only), followed by Editor2 and AkelPad (also 64-bit), all of which have their own quirks and shortcomings.

[/list]
Somewhat off topic, but from a performance perspective:
I found that Notepad++ has average start speed, but like many of the programming editors its launching speed is not consistent, so it can hang on start, especially when first launching it. Yes, there are better alternatives for a notepad replacement and those you listed are all solid performers for smaller files. Note that Akelpad is also a coding editor and it has crashed at times, but not often (lockups/crashes appear to be related to system usage); so I would categorize it as mostly reliable. It's very quick considering its many features and it has average to better than average large file handling capabilities, hopefully, it will continue to improve. Notepad2 v4.2.25 (bookmark edition R4) is also an extremely fast editor that handles large files well, although I haven't tested it yet for reliability or for its feature set. But now that I am reminded of it, I think I will test that next for stability/reliability.

tactictoe

#9 Post by tactictoe »

Midas wrote:As they say, close but no cigar: my own locale prescribed form is "2016/02/09 22:51:00" (choice of separators optional, valid for the whole EU, conforming in fact with the ISO standard).
Agreed.
Midas wrote:.LOG function IS present in official Notepad -- it was in fact defined by it. Check by yourself, save a file with ".LOG" at the first line and see how Notepad appends a time-stamp in the system defined default format every time you open that file.
I forgot about that one. Acting more like an easter egg and not using the notepad very often neither this type of log function. Thanks to remember me.

Midas wrote:Notepad++ won't do, it's more of a programmers editor, it takes too long to start (cf. relevant TP109 tests) and the interface is far too loaded with options.
Agreed but I am a developer and suits my need. I am seriously considering moving to Highlight http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =4&t=14487 for code.
Midas wrote:IMHO, the best options in this category are currently Metapad and Win32pad (32-bit only), followed by Editor2 and AkelPad (also 64-bit), all of which have their own quirks and shortcomings.
Agreed too if you are truly looking for a notepad replacement. Still notepad++ is a fantastic software but now bloated with too many options, I wished you would have the ability to remove options and function so the software could load a little bit faster and present itself the way you like it. Let's say to be clear: I wish you could customize it's menu function... remove the one you do not use and don't need. Otherwise it is stable and a great tool for developer.

tactictoe

#10 Post by tactictoe »

TP109 wrote: Notepad2 v4.2.25 (bookmark edition R4) is also an extremely fast editor that handles large files well, although I haven't tested it yet for reliability or for its feature set. But now that I am reminded of it, I think I will test that next for stability/reliability.
I would love to hear the result, if you do so Thanks in advance. :D

TP109

#11 Post by TP109 »

Notepad2 v4.2.25 (bookmark edition R4) is a version of Notepad2 from rlvision.com. Looks like I overlooked officially testing this version for performance, although I had it installed and referenced in my notes. I'm testing it now for reliability/stability and will shortly test its performance and post the results. The official Notepad2 and Notepad2-mod were tested for performance, but only Notepad2-mod has been tested for reliability/stability so far. The test results were uploaded here.

Also, after reviewing the results again, I noticed that Notepad2 (official) was significantly faster than Notepad2-mod in starting speed and for loading files. So it appears that the modifications made in Notepad2-mod have had an impact on performance.

For general information, I've posted the differences between these two modified versions below.

NotePad2BE, NotePad2-mod and NotePad3 are variations of the official Notepad2 version. These are the differences from the original (as copied and pasted from the developer sites):

Notepad2 Bookmark Edition:
  • Bookmark lines with Ctrl+F2 and jump between bookmarks with F2
  • Added wildcard search to Find/Replace dialogs
  • Added help buttons [?] to the Find/Replace dialogs with quick syntax references
  • Assigned F12 hotkey for 'Save as'
  • Number of selected lines is displayed in the statusbar
  • Tweaked 'Convert to Title Case' (based on my experience with Flash Renamer)
  • Find/Replace dialog will automatically be filled with clipboard content first time used
  • See readme for a more detailed look at the changes
Notepad2-mod:
  • Code folding
  • Support for bookmarks
  • Option to mark all occurrences of a word
  • Word auto-completion
  • Syntax highlighting support for AutoHotkey, AutoIt3, AviSynth, Bash, CMake, Inno Setup, LaTeX, Lua, Markdown, NSIS, Ruby, Tcl and YAML scripts
  • Improved support for NFO ANSI art
  • Support for replacing Windows Notepad using a clean, unintrusive registry-based method
  • Other various minor changes and tweaks
edited 2/12/16:
Notepad3 is from another developer but lists similar changes as Notepad2BE/Notepad2-mod.
Homepage is here:

Notepad3:
  • Code folding
  • Support for bookmarks
  • Option to mark all occurrences of a word
  • Word auto-completion
  • Syntax highlighting support for AutoHotkey, AutoIt3, AviSynth, Bash, CMake, CoffeeScript, Inno Setup, LaTeX, Lua, Markdown, NSIS, Ruby, Tcl, YAML and VHDL scripts
  • Improved support for NFO ANSI art.
  • Support for replacing Windows Notepad using a clean, unintrusive registry-based method.
  • Other various minor changes and tweaks
Last edited by TP109 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tactictoe

#12 Post by tactictoe »

:D Thanks TP109, :D

TP109

#13 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote: .LOG function IS present in official Notepad -- it was in fact defined by it. Check by yourself, save a file with ".LOG" at the first line and see how Notepad appends a time-stamp in the system defined default format every time you open that file.
Wasn't aware of this function. Good info. Works for Notepad2 also. Wonder how many other editors have this.

edited 6:40PM 2/10/16
Tried it with most of the editors I've tested and the following editors support the .LOG function out-of-the-box:
Notepad2 (all versions)
NoteTabLight
MetaPad
SavageEd2
TedPad
Win32Pad

Midas

Re: Notepad .LOG function support

#14 Post by Midas »

TP109 wrote:edited 6:40PM 2/10/16

Tried it with most of the editors I've tested and the following editors support the .LOG function out-of-the-box:

Notepad2 (all versions)
NoteTabLight
MetaPad
SavageEd2
TedPad
Win32Pad
  • That is GREAT info. Thanks. 8)

NickR

Re: Notepad .LOG function support

#15 Post by NickR »

BEWARE OF THE LOG :(

A few years ago I had an issue with line 1 .LOG using Windows Notepad (XP ? maybe Vista also)
Some scripted log file (BAT files) started failing to update properly

Turns out that when the actual log files exceeded about 38KB
Notepad.exe threw the error message
"Not enough memory to complete this operation... [OK]"
before opening the file (in append mode) but without appending the Timestamp.

As a log file is often expected to get big - I stopped using the .LOG function after that