SyncFolders

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

SyncFolders

#1 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders is a simple synchronization and backup program. Version 3.3.001 now offers a natively portable build. I tested it- it writes all its settings and data to its own folder with one exception- it creates a folder in AppData- C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\SyncFolders\tmp containing 'SyncFolders Icon' file.

http://www.syncfolders.elementfx.com/ - Home Page
http://www.syncfolders.elementfx.com/download.html - Download Page
http://www.syncfolders.elementfx.com/screenshots.html - Gallery
http://www.syncfolders.elementfx.com/features.html - Features
http://www.syncfolders.elementfx.com/se ... rtable.zip - Direct Download Link for the Portable version
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fil ... ders.shtml - Softpedia Page

I will provide two screen-shots of SyncFolders in action:

http://postimg.org/image/4x109ocsp/
http://postimg.org/image/j4qoybphl/

SyncFolders Features according to developer's web-site:

· Supports two-way synchronization of files and folders.
· Can easily be used as backup tool.
· Shows a preview before the actual synchronization takes place. You can override actions if desired.
· Detects conflicts or file collisions when a file has changed in both locations since the last sync operation. Therefore, SyncFolders tracks file modifications and deletions in a local database.
· Propagates deletions and detects file renames.
· Default actions can be defined in case of synchronization conflicts.
· Integrates with Windows' Task Scheduler to support scheduled synchronizations.
· Supports file and folder filters.
· Can handle long file names and files of any size.
· Supports multiple synchronization rules in a single rules file.
· Deleted or overwritten files can be moved to the recycle bin or to a time-stamped history folder.
· History files can be deleted after a user-defined period.
· Unlimited number of files.
· Can ignore one-hour timestamp differences caused by DST switch for synchronization to FAT file systems.
· Easy-to-use.
· Unrestricted freeware.
· No spyware, adware or malware.
· Portable, although .NET Framework is required.

SyncFolders features 3 modes- 'Copy' (A->B- copying from A to B), 'Back-up' (A=B- items not available in A are deleted in B- 'mirroring') and 'Synchronize' (A<->B two-way synchronization).

SyncFolders requires .NET Framework.

I suppose that someone might like SyncFolders since it has a nice and clean GUI, it is portable, customizable and offers a decent set of features.

Midas

Re: SyncFolders (DotNET)

#2 Post by Midas »

I'll just add that the DotNET requirement is v3.5...

smaragdus

Re: SyncFolders

#3 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders 3.3.022 has been released. Changes:
3.3.022 (June 9, 2015)

· New: The database file in the source and target folder will be locked during synchronization.
· New: An exit code will be returned if SyncFolders is started from the command line.
· Fixed: Portable version creates a file on the system outside the portable version folder.
· Fixed: Some minor problems.

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders version 3.3.043 has been released, changes:
Actual version: 3.3.042 (December 9, 2015)
- New: It is possible to use environment variables from Windows like %USERPROFILE% in the source and target folder of a rule.
- New: It is possible to use the name of a volume to identify the source and target folder. Example: Instead of using G:\Backup you can also use %LABEL:name-usb%\Backup, where name-usb is the volume name of the USB.
- New: Setting 'Start SyncFolders as an Administrator' is added to the general user settings.
- New: Option 'Run with highest Privileges' is added to scheduled synchronization tasks.
- New: It is possible to set any folder, including its subfolders and files, in the folder tree of the scanning details to 'No Action' or to 'Action last Scan'.
- New: Command line option '/log' added to store the result in another log file.
- New: Default attributes for the database files can now be configured in the user settings.
- Fixed: The 'creation time' and 'last access time' are not properly set for a synchronized file.
- Fixed: Main window of SyncFolders is not properly displayed in Windows 10.
- Fixed: SyncFolders is not closed properly if setting 'Allow multiple instances of SyncFolders' is not checked.
- Fixed: SyncFolders does not remember the maximized window state of the main window.
- Fixed: Some minor problems.
Note- in the change log the latest version is announced as 3.3.042 but it is actually 3.3.043 (or there has been a undocumented update).

xor

#5 Post by xor »

My experience: I tried SyncFolders for some time after testing several sync and backup apps, I loved the two-way sync that fit my needs, but, in a real situation I synced several GB between my HD and a thumb usb drive... *sigh* ... it lags! I'm currently looking for a faster syncing app, maybe Bvckup2, DSymchronize, dunno, I lack of time to test.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

xor wrote:I'm currently looking for a faster syncing app, maybe Bvckup2, DSymchronize, dunno, I lack of time to test.
You'll be hard pressed to find something faster than Bvckup. That delta copy feature regularly cuts down a 20 minute sync process of mine down to 3 minutes.

In fairness I also really like DSynchronize and used it reliably for years.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (added "of mine")

xor

#7 Post by xor »

webfork wrote: You'll be hard pressed to find something faster than Bvckup. That delta copy feature regularly cuts down a 20 minute sync process of mine down to 3 minutes.

In fairness I also really like DSynchronize and used it reliably for years.
Thanks for the info, I guess I was right about those 2 gems of syncing. :)

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders version 3.3.044 released, changes:
Actual version: 3.3.044 (December 11, 2015)
- Fixed: Scheduled Tasks cannot be added or changed via SyncFolders on Windows XP.
@xor
I mainly use FreeFileSync (what makes it indispensable for me is that it uses Volume Shadow Copy when copying files currently in use) but sometimes I re-compare folders using DirSync Pro (requires Java, portable), FullSync (requires Java, not portable) and SyncFolders (requires .NET, portable). In my tests SyncFolders is fastest in terms of comparing. When synching to external drives the speed depends on hardware too (USB 2, USB 3, disk speed, etc). So far I haven't spotted any lags while using SyncFolders. If you have problems with SyncFolders you might contact the developer directly.

smaragdus

#9 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders at version 3.4.073, changes:
3.4.073 (May 24, 2016)

- New: It is also possible to compare files using the content of the file.
- New: Icon 'Edit scheduled task' is added to the rules button bar.
- New: Checked rule numbers and names will be written to the log file during processing.
- New: Defined rule commands can also be executed during a scan.
- Changed: Better progress reporting during the synchronization process.
- Fixed: Last Run Time for scheduled tasks shows '30 November 1999' instead of 'Never' in Windows 10.
- Fixed: Error window does not respond quickly if many errors are found.
- Fixed: Some minor problems.
- Note: migrated from .NET Framework 3.5 to 4.0.

smaragdus

#10 Post by smaragdus »

A screen-shot of the latest version:

smaragdus

Re: SyncFolders 3.4.111

#11 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders at version 3.4.111, download page & change log:
3.4.111 (November 11, 2016)
  • New: Personal text color and background color can be defined for each rule.
  • New: Multiple rule selection is enabled in the rule list.
  • New: A new option for a rule makes it possible to always use the default history folder of SyncFolders, relative to the target folder.
  • Changed: Other colors are used for selecting items in all list views.
  • Changed: Handling of temporary files created by SyncFolders during synchronization has been improved.
  • Fixed: Folder and file dates in the history are sometimes not properly set.
  • Fixed: Some minor problems.
direct download links:
Portable Archive
Installer Archive

smaragdus

Re: SyncFolders 3.4.234

#12 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders at version 3.4.234, download page & change log:
3.4.234 (December 23, 2016)
  • New: SyncFolders is now available in Chinese.
  • Changed: handling automatic updates has been improved.
  • Fixed: Some minor problems.
Archive - Portable
Archive - Installer

smaragdus

Re: SyncFolders 3.4.297

#13 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders at version 3.4.297, download page & change log:
3.4.297 (January 23, 2017)
  • New: Language Spanish is supported.
  • Changed: Overall performance improvements.
  • Changed: The description of action type 'Synchronize' has changed to 'Synchronize Two-Way'.
  • Changed: Some improvements to avoid the rare error 'The magic number in GZip header is not correct'.
  • Changed: The default setting for versioning has changed to 'Move files to time-stamped subfolder within history folder' to make sure novice users do have history.
  • Fixed: The synchronization process does not stop immediately if there is insufficient disk space in the history folder.
  • Fixed: Synchronization did not succeed successfully if the length of the source or the target folder was longer than 248 characters.
  • Fixed: The synchronization process does not stop immediately if the network is not available any longer.
  • Fixed: Temporary files, created and needed by SyncFolders, could be locked by e.g. Dropbox and Google Drive, which results into unexpected errors during synchronization.
  • Fixed: The elapsed time is not displayed properly if the synchronization runs more than 24 hours.
  • Fixed: The initial folder in the Browse Folder dialog is not always visible due to a bug in Windows.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

License is freeware.

Program review:
https://dottech.org/115797/windows-revi ... -software/
"SyncFolders is a breeze to use and easy to set up. Its main window consists of two tabs which are Rules and Processing."

smaragdus

Re: SyncFolders 3.4.345

#15 Post by smaragdus »

SyncFolders at version 3.4.345, download page & change log:
3.4.345 (February 21, 2017)
  • New: Languages Russian and Ukrainian are supported.
  • Changed: Default folder for rules files has changed if running in portable mode.
  • Fixed: The background colour of the rules list is not always correct.
  • Fixed: The synchronization process does not stop immediately if the target folder on a USB drive cannot be accessed any longer.
  • Fixed: The synchronization could fail for files for which the name is formatted like a short file name, for example: SAMPLE~1.DOC.