Long Path Tool - WATCH OUT!!!

Any other tech-related topics
spicydog

Long Path Tool - WATCH OUT!!!

#1 Post by spicydog »

A short and sad note about Long Path Tool (for disambiguation http:// longpathtool . com/).

If you have been unlucky enough and came across or downloaded this "trap-app" (if this term does not exist, I guess Long Path Tool just sufficiently inspired me to create it) you seriously need to watch out!
Should you run the application, do NOT under any circumstance click the "Press here to view demonstration" button.

In fact if you do press that button, without any warning a folder with an extremely long path gets created somewhere on your system and when you click the "Delete" button all you get to see is an invitation to buy the program, while the newly created folder is there to stay!!!

Any attempt to contact the dev to get the antidote to the venom they unsolicitedly injected in your system will remain unattended.

Apparently those clowns are so desperate that have to resort to such measures to sell their software and the funny part is that they seem to find it ethical and probably even amusing to force people into buying their program!

Once again, WATCH OUT!!!... You have been warned ;)

webfork

Re: Long Path Tool - WATCH OUT!!!

#2 Post by webfork »

Thanks for the heads up. We've been getting spammed by these clowns for a while and, according to WOT, that's sort of their profile:

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/longpathtool.com
In fact if you do press that button, without any warning a folder with an extremely long path gets created somewhere on your system and when you click the "Delete" button all you get to see is an invitation to buy the program, while the newly created folder is there to stay!!!
I'd suggest calling that "hostageware"

tactictoe

#3 Post by tactictoe »

Good to know, thanks. I just dislike people living at the expense of other that way.
Hostageware, trapware or what ever... does it not have already a name: malware?

One of the comment of wot about this nasty bugger thingy might have a solution (thanks to webfork to mention WOT in his post):
activebiz
30-01-2013

Thanks to Deep Remove I was able to delete their folders they placed on my hard drive after clicking to demo their script only to find out in order to delete what they placed on my drive, I would have needed to buy their license first.
No on - but no one will ever be able to force me to purchased something.
There is definitely a ethic issue with their business practices.
Thank God for Steve Avery's comment here I found Deep Remove -
and got rid of that nasty folder structure they placed - within a few seconds. I would have rather reformatted that drive than buy in to their extortion.
Here is the link to deep remove: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fil ... move.shtml

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

Another program that may do the job- Long Path Eraser Free, created by the developers of the commercial Iperius Backup.
Direct Download Link for Long Path Eraser Free
Softpedia article about Long Path Eraser Free
I haven't tested Long Path Eraser Free for portability but at first look it seems to be portable.

thepiney

#5 Post by thepiney »

You may be able to delete that folder using a Live Linux CD/DVD/USB. I've used PartedMagic, GParted Live, etc with great results. Worth a try.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: these jerks are still spamming us, so I'm going to keep linking to alternatives:

https://deepremove.codeplex.com/ - an open source (MPL) tool written in C#.

shnbwmn

#7 Post by shnbwmn »

This worked for me, no additional software required:
  • Path too long? Use Robocopy
Notice the Long Path Tool spam in the comments :lol: