Two Sqlite programs: Sqliteman and Sqlite Database Browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Two Sqlite programs: Sqliteman and Sqlite Database Browser

#1 Post by webfork »

Back when I was doing a lot of database work, I was annoyed that open source databases (mysql, postgres, firebird) were all the rage, but there were so few open viewers/managers, much less portable ones. PortableApps offered a query tool/viewer a while back that worked pretty well, but not an open one. Fortunately there are now two available from PortableApps, including one that allows some database creation that would work as an amazing "intro to databases" tool:
Anyway, I haven't tested these out extensively, but I'm glad to see moves in this realm.
Last edited by webfork on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed links -- thanks JohnW)

xor

Re: Two Sqlite programs: Sqliteman and Sqlite Database Brows

#2 Post by xor »

Anyone knows what's the most suited and popular programming language to develop a fairly basic database desktop app using sqlite (a network app to be used in say 2 or 3 PCs), I used to work a lot with Visual FoxPro in years gone but I guess life goes on.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

I have used Sqlite Database Browser Portable for SQLite databases (I was developing in Android), though recently started to use HeidiSQL -> TPFC, as the whole %APPDATA% out weighs the functionality it provides. I am connecting to an SQL Server 2012 database, which is awesome, as I didn't have to install SQL Server Express.

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

xor wrote:Anyone knows what's the most suited and popular programming language to develop a fairly basic database desktop app using sqlite (a network app to be used in say 2 or 3 PCs), I used to work a lot with Visual FoxPro in years gone but I guess life goes on.
You're essentially asking "what's the most suited and popular programming language to develop a desktop app". SQLite has bindings for a lot of languages. The "desktop app" bit is the harder part.

I think the most popular language for new desktop apps is C#. C++ and Delphi are fairly popular as well.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

xor

#5 Post by xor »

Thanks for all suggestions although I'm still feeling thoughtful. I was thinking of sqlite as a backend for a mini POS app due to simplicity (high-end databases are for enterprise solutions) and I'm kind of Trying to figure out how to build a convenient front-end to manipulate, store, query, search that data (records), pretty the same as mysql+php in a shopping cart web page. I never felt comfortable with Visual basic + access because being Visual FoxPro a modern form of Clipper + DBase it was a natural database development monster. :)

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

AutoIt? But if guinness haven't recommended it I won't dare to do :)

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

tproli wrote:AutoIt? But if guinness haven't recommended it I won't dare to do :)
I would recommend C# for desktop these days.

xor

#8 Post by xor »

guinness wrote:
tproli wrote:AutoIt? But if guinness haven't recommended it I won't dare to do :)
I would recommend C# for desktop these days.
Bruce Lee telling me to learn boxing instead of Jet-Kune-Do? :D
@guiness I'm not very familiar with the C languages although I'll find some time to take a look at their power and feeling (and to figure out an editor, IDE, compiler, license, efc)

@tproli It's OK to dare, AutoIt is something I have tried a bit before and I liked what I felt and achieved, in the end any language is good as long as the result is satisfactory.

Now, I have always wondered why to move to the next record in a table has to be either a pain or a delight:
e.g.
VB: Data1.Recordset.MoveNext
VFoxPro: skip

That's the kind of stuff that makes a difference, I guess that's why AutoIt is widely used, Javascript is a standard and PHP is so loved.
Anyway, for me getting to hear from your opinions that get me learning from the right people that point me in the right direction is ... an honor.

ozok

#9 Post by ozok »

@xor I've used Delphi for ages and now I use VS and C# at work. .net framework is very powerful and development with Visual Studio is a joy (specially with resharper). There are express editions of it but there is also an open-source alternative called SharpDevelop (http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/) if you wish to try.

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

ReSharper is awesome. I would also recommend SharpDevelop for those who can't afford VS2013 or don't have a student license. SharpDevelop also includes some refactoring hints as well.

xor

#11 Post by xor »

ozok wrote:@xor I've used Delphi for ages and now I use VS and C# at work. .net framework is very powerful and development with Visual Studio is a joy (specially with resharper). There are express editions of it but there is also an open-source alternative called SharpDevelop (http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/) if you wish to try.
Thankyou @Ozok and @guiness, #develop looks and feels quite familiar to me and is definitely a very good option, the more I read about what you guys use, like and know about anything regarding Development the more my mind gets open and the more I realize how professional you guys are as well as of a high quality of human beings. :roll:

Midas

Re: Sqlite programs...

#12 Post by Midas »

Topic update: upstream Sqlite Database Browser AKA DB Browser for SQLite v3.11.2 released 2019-04-03 (changelog at https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlitebrowser/releases).

PortableApps.com version is in sync: currently there's v3.11.2 Rev 2 at portableapps.com /apps/development/sqlite_database_browser_portable.

Sqliteman development appears to have stalled somewhere around 2011 -- see https://sourceforge.net /projects/sqliteman/files/sqliteman/ and http://sqliteman.yarpen.cz/.

Related programs already included in TPFC's database: