making .NET 2.0 portable for private use only

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
dfTruF

making .NET 2.0 portable for private use only

#1 Post by dfTruF »

Greetings.

I'm in such situation that I (and only me) want to play portable game (only on my private computer). The game uses .net 2.0 framework, but I don't want to have installed .net 2.0 framework in the system.
Is it possible to manually copy all files from installed .net 2.0, then uninstall it from the system and use those previously copied files somehow for launching the game?
I don't think that it is illegal, because I do this only for private, non-commercial use, on my private home computer.

webfork

Re: making .NET 2.0 portable for private use only

#2 Post by webfork »

dfTruF wrote:Is it possible to manually copy all files from installed .net 2.0, then uninstall it from the system and use those previously copied files somehow for launching the game?
Unfortunately previous research on the topic has shown this not to be possible. Some of the recent events surrounding dotNET may change this in the near future but .NET hasn't traditionally wanted to run on non-Windows computers unlike Java (or for our purposes jPortable).
dfTruF wrote:I don't think that it is illegal, because I do this only for private, non-commercial use, on my private home computer.
Unfortunately, it probably is against their terms of service. Again, hopefully recent events (including more permissive licensing efforts) by Microsoft may enable this.

Napiophelios

#3 Post by Napiophelios »

It is possible using virtualization software....if you can afford the virtualization software.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

v2.0 is so old, that I have no clue why anyone would develop an application specific to that version of the .NET Framework. v3.0 is where all the goodness can be found, mmm yummy syntactic sugar!