Crococrypt Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
frank2015

Crococrypt Portable

#1 Post by frank2015 »

Crococrypt is an encryption tool for mirroring directories on your computer or LAN to encrypted containers

Platforms: At the moment only Win64 is supported, but plans are there for all major desktop platforms (maybe an Android app)

Website: http://www.frankhissen.de/crococrypt-en ... tware.html
Download: http://www.frankhissen.de/crococrypt-en ... l#Download

Screenshot: Image

There is a setup and a portable version. In the portable version of Crococrypt keyfile and settings are stored together with the application folder. Hence, the complete application can be transported on an external storage device. Moreover, the folder "container" can be used to store portable containers.

Stealth: Not sure, but I would believe so

webfork

Re: Crococrypt Portable

#2 Post by webfork »

frank2015

#3 Post by frank2015 »

I didn't know CryptSync, thanks for the hint. I checked out the thread. Crococrypt is already portable and it will keep to be. I agree with the cross-platform request and the initial version of Crococrypt was built with cross-platform in mind. It just takes some time to make the necessary adjustments for Lin and Mac (I'm the developer, in case that is not clear).

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Sorry frank2015, this took me way too long to respond to ...
frank2015 wrote: I'm the developer
Oh okay, welcome to the forum.
frank2015 wrote: cross platform
Good to hear. Any chance you'd be willing to open source it? That would definitely pull me away from CryptSync.

frank2015

#5 Post by frank2015 »

> Any chance you'd be willing to open source it? That would definitely pull me away from CryptSync.

To be honest that was the idea when I started making it. It is based on code I used for years just for me. However, for publishing the source code, I need time for improving the source code quality. Time which -unfortunately- I don't have at the moment, but that's still my plan...

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

frank2015 wrote:>...for publishing the source code, I need time for improving the source code quality. Time which -unfortunately- I don't have at the moment, but that's still my plan...
This is probably the number one reason I get why people don't open their code.  I'm not saying it's unreasonable, just don't wait too long. There are only a few programs out there with genuinely elegant code. :)

frank2015

#7 Post by frank2015 »

Yes, there is a lot of truth in there...

I have an open-source project live, so I have an idea when I feel the code is 'good enough'. ;-) Since my time seems to run away, I'm thinking of a kickstarter project to make Crococrypt open-source. But I don't know about its chances of success.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

frank2015 wrote:I'm thinking of a kickstarter project to make Crococrypt open-source. But I don't know about its chances of success.
Wait ... so like this kickstarter for Crococrypt?

Anyway, there is at least one encryption freeware project that got funded, even if it's something extremely incomplete and pointless (single-platform, developer appears to be writing something rather than using already established, tested code; 7-zip is a far better solution).

frank2015

#9 Post by frank2015 »

webfork wrote: Wait ... so like this kickstarter for Crococrypt?
No, but sorry for the confusion. At the moment, there exist two different applications by me - CrococryptMirror (aka Crococrypt) and CrococryptFile. This forum entry is about CrococryptMirror.
The background is, I worked on CrococryptFile long before CrococryptMirror but then ended up releasing CrococryptMirror as "Crococrypt". With "working on" I mean that I was using the code (of both) already for myself for a couple of years (there was no name like Crococrypt existing for this). I then ended up releasing CrococryptFile in the public domain as well and started the current naming convention. Both applications are related regarding the underlying crypto and code. That is why both of them start with the prefix "Crococrypt" now.

Kickstarter projects from Germany (where I come from) are allowed only since one month, now. A friend told me, so I wanted to try it out immediately. I wanted to see how Kickstarter really works from the project point of view (not the backer's). That is why I put a smaller feature request of CrococryptFile into a Kickstarter project.

After that the idea came that if people really want to see CrococryptMirror (aka Crococrypt) as open-source, why not create a Kickstarter project on that as well.
webfork wrote: Anyway, there is at least one encryption freeware project that got funded, even if it's something extremely incomplete and pointless (single-platform, developer appears to be writing something rather than using already established, tested code; 7-zip is a far better solution).
Yea, you are right. Anyway, it seems to me that Kickstarter is more gadget/hardware related than to pure software stuff and that my idea above will not work...

Let's see what the future brings. ;-)

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

frank2015 wrote:Yea, you are right. Anyway, it seems to me that Kickstarter is more gadget/hardware related than to pure software stuff and that my idea above will not work...
If you do go that route, I'd recommend combining your effort to include a big, new feature (Mac/Android client? 7-zip compression? GPG key support?) and open sourcing the whole thing at the same time. The idea here is that someone's buying an addition to an already mature program and "for real transparency" you're opening the code. Make sure to emphasize privacy in dangerous times and Microsoft's recent we-sell-user-data posture. You might throw in some kind of code audit for good measure.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

The program has seen some updates in the last year:

* The Kickstarter didn't get funded but the program still ended up on Github as a GPL program: https://github.com/fhissen/CrococryptFile which I think is respectable as I know a number of devs who would pack it up after that. (Homepage: http://www.frankhissen.de/crococryptfil ... tware.html)

* The "Mirror" tool was last updated on 2016 and seems to support WinXP+ if Softpedia is accurate.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

CrococryptMirror v1.41 released, dated 2018-04-01 (changelog and download at www.frankhissen.de /crococryptmirror-official-download-encryption-freeware-hissenit.html).

Softpedia review: www.softpedia.com /get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Security/Encrypting/Portable-Crococrypt.shtml.

Quick note to highlight that CrococryptMirror is Java based but doesn't require any framework installation as it is entirely self-contained. 8)