Freeware-Tool RoMoRDuP - Mirror folders/Remove duplicates

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Accept86

Freeware-Tool RoMoRDuP - Mirror folders/Remove duplicates

#1 Post by Accept86 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:58 am

I´m currently developing a Freeware to mirror folders/remove duplicates/optimize filenames/update playlists.

The tool has some advantages over usual tools for mirroring folders / removing duplicates.

There is an easy mode and an expert mode. The easy mode is realy simple to use.

Mirror folders:
-Many tools have the problem that duplicates are created while synchronizing folders. RoMoRDuP prevents this by comparing the files by their content. Renamed files can be renamed back instead of creating duplicates.
-The software shows a clear preview before executing any tasks. The user can optionally deactivate tasks here.

Removing duplicates:
-The software uses the content of the files to identify duplicates, not the filename(The filename can differ for duplicates, too)
-For each group of duplicates the user can select the remaining file, or the user can change all remaining files at once (shortest path, longest path etc.)
-If duplicates in the music folder are deletet, usually that can make playlists stop working (Because some playlist might have pointed to the deleted duplicate). To prevent this, RoMoRDuP can automatically update the playlists before deleting any duplicates.
-The software shows a clear preview before executing any tasks. The user can optionally deactivate tasks here.

I´m thankful for any improvement proposals/feedback/error reports.

Version V0.58:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgjnr0wpfwgyl ... 8.zip?dl=0

Please don´t take this as advertisement. The software is completely free, even for companys. Also I don´t take donations for my self.
My profession is being a embedded programmer(not windows programmer), so I don´t make money from making windows programms, nor plan to.
I just wan´t some people to try my software out, and if they find a use for it, its great.

Update 2015-01-27:
Thanks for the softpedia suggestion.

I´m currently planning the Version 0.59 - Planned changes:
-Currently the UAC always shows up directly before actually executing the tasks. The reason for this is, because for mirroring folders/removing duplicates its possible that write protected files have to be deleted in the process. Maybe I´ll check beforehand in the future, if admin rights are necessary for the process, and show the UAC only if write protected files have to be changed or if the user wants to mirror something into his program files folder etc.

-Syncing empty folders - currently only folders that have at least 1 file in it are synced. Subject to be changed.

-Speed TaskView up: The TaskView is the Preview of the tasks to execute. If you sync more than 40000 files(depending on you pc) generating the taskView takes a while. I have some ideas on how to speed this process up.

-Calculate the file size into the hash: Currently you can choose on how much data(file content) of a file is calculated into its hash for comparing files. I will try to calculate the file size into the hash in addition to this data, as additional safety if the user chooses a small amount of data to calculate into the hash. If 50 kByte are chosen and the first 50 kByte of two files are actually identical, but they differ later (which is unlikely but can happen in rare cases) they can usually still be distinguished by the file size. I might add a user option to calculate the modification date into the hash on top of this. But this does not always make sense, because two files can be duplicates(and should be treated as duplicates) even with different modification dates.

-Mirror Attributes: New user options to Mirror create date and write-protected attribute

-Some other small optimizations and bug fixes

Once I´m done with the new version 0.59 and have tested it enough, I´ll try to put it on Softpedia.
If there are other suggestions please tell me.
Last edited by Accept86 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: Freeware-Tool RoMoRDuP - Mirror folders/Remove duplicate

#2 Post by webfork » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks for posting. I recommend posting it to Softpedia rather than listing a Dropbox link.

Accept86

#3 Post by Accept86 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:59 am

Hi,
I have worked more on the software and have also submitted it to softpedia now (Version 0.60)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oxzbe97pzxpu ... 2.zip?dl=0

http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-manag ... RDuP.shtml

webfork

#4 Post by webfork » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:53 pm

Great, thanks.

Some interesting things I'm seeing in the screenshots.  I like the more graphical, flowchart approach to describe the various sequences.