Keeping UniExtract up to date

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Message
Author
smallhagrid
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#136 Post by smallhagrid » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Does anyone know of someone (besides Gora) who keeps UE up to date AND who shares their updated version openly ??
(Gora's version always set off my AV without fail and when asked about it, Gora responded in a very nasty way - so that was when l quit using that one for good.)

Mike.S.G.
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#137 Post by Mike.S.G. » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:41 pm

The only one I know of is here - http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9785 ... -gora-mod/

This version is @ 17995y, not sure how far behind it is...?

Gora's worked perfectly for quite a while and updating was very easy - then the server(s) could never be reached to update UE again.

smallhagrid
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#138 Post by smallhagrid » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Interesting info, thanks:
Mike.S.G. wrote:The only one I know of is here - http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9785 ... -gora-mod/
This version is @ 17995y, not sure how far behind it is...?
Gora's worked perfectly for quite a while and updating was very easy - then the server(s) could never be reached to update UE again.
In that long thread that you mentioned, it is stated by various posters that it has been a while since it was updated - and it was Gora's version - and that it came up infected via Virustotal, etc. .

So...as I asked before=>
Does anyone know of someone (besides Gora) who still keeps UE up to date AND who shares their updated version openly ??

Mike.S.G.
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#139 Post by Mike.S.G. » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:18 pm

smallhagrid wrote:Interesting info, thanks:
Mike.S.G. wrote:The only one I know of is here - http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9785 ... -gora-mod/
This version is @ 17995y, not sure how far behind it is...?
Gora's worked perfectly for quite a while and updating was very easy - then the server(s) could never be reached to update UE again.
In that long thread that you mentioned, it is stated by various posters that it has been a while since it was updated - and it was Gora's version - and that it came up infected via Virustotal, etc. .

So...as I asked before=>
Does anyone know of someone (besides Gora) who still keeps UE up to date AND who shares their updated version openly ??
As far as I know, there's UE and then there's Gora's mod, get either one and update it yourself manually.

This type of tool will almost always get dinged by any AV, you need to have a relationship with the AV folks to keep most unfamiliar utilities off the false positives list - assuming it's a false positive :?:

smallhagrid
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#140 Post by smallhagrid » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi Mike.S.G. and thanks.
Just grabbed 1.7 portable from here:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/portable-un ... ive-files/

Could not open it with my existing UE as Gora's version is PW locked, so took a chance and opened it...

Scanned it immediately and get this:
X:\temp\ue\UniExtract.exe » AUTOIT » _deobfusc_script.au3 - unsupported option

Allowed it to update and scanned again with same result.

Most likely a FP, but still I am not comfortable with Gora's work and wish someone else would have a hobby to keep this updated...and would also share it willingly with dummies like myself.

There was a guy in Germany who did this for a while - but he got a different interest and stopped doing it.

Best Wishes.

User avatar
Midas
Posts: 5920
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Location: Sol3

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#141 Post by Midas » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:36 am

FYI, Gora seems to have been gone from the interwebz since 2013-07-05, which is the date of his last post at the Russian forum where he originally published his fork of Universal Extractor (http://forum.oszone.net/post-2179869-655.html).

Gora might not be your friendliest software developer, but he has been mostly legit, if you discount his refusal to abide the GPL and release the source code with his changes (there's a page with his software offerings still up at http://gora.7zsfx.info/addons/). Oh, and the flagging by Virustotal is quite definitely a false alert, something that's has plagued forever anything developed with AutoIt.

I still run the portable version of Gora's Universal Extractor v1.7.9.95Y and it still gets its online updates -- although they consisted solely in 'TrIDDefs.TRD' definitions updates for the last year or so...

Incidentally and to the best of my knowledge, 'TrIDDefs.TRD' definitions originate from Marco Pontello's TrIDScan (http://mark0.net/soft-tridscan-e.html).

User avatar
Checker
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Ingolstadt [DE]

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#142 Post by Checker » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:32 am

BTW: How updated is Lupo's version :?:
According the changelog, the last update was 20-04-2014.

smallhagrid
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#143 Post by smallhagrid » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:15 am

Here may be found another very good version, though it is not very recent:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171930- ... rsion-165/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftqxpp8iyyaxt ... noinst.rar
It does not set off my AV at all, so it must not use AutoIt.

Here is the very last version of that one posted in that thread:
http://www.filedropper.com/uniextract17
(The above is a re-upload of what the OP posted at sevenoptimus.zxq.net/uniextract17.exe in July '14 and he has not posted again since then, sadly.)

bzl333
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#144 Post by bzl333 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:15 pm

its not too good with extracting MSI files. many times UE fails but LessMS or JSMSIX both succeed fwiw ime.

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 9869
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#145 Post by webfork » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:24 pm

smallhagrid wrote:I am not comfortable with Gora's work
Ditto.
smallhagrid wrote:and wish someone else would have a hobby to keep this updated...and would also share it willingly with dummies like myself.
This has been on my todolist for months. I'm overwhelmed with my current projects or I would have tackled this already (or tried to).

smallhagrid
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#146 Post by smallhagrid » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 am

Hi Webfork and thanks:
webfork wrote:
smallhagrid wrote:I am not comfortable with Gora's work
Ditto.
smallhagrid wrote:and wish someone else would have a hobby to keep this updated...and would also share it willingly with dummies like myself.
This has been on my todolist for months. I'm overwhelmed with my current projects or I would have tackled this already (or tried to).
It is good to see that I am not the only one who prefers not to use Gora's UE version.

If/when you do have the time & energy to update UE, would you please share it ??

Thanks.

billon
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#147 Post by billon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:35 pm

@smallhagrid

I don't think it's hard to "Keeping UniExtract up to date" by yourself.
What kind of packers we have to deal with most of times? In 90% of cases it's InnoSetup, 7% NSIS and 3% MSI. So you can get UniExtract from Lupe and update InnoUnp, 7-Zip and you get fully functional unpacker.
What was updated from Lupe's version? 7-Zip, InnoUnp, UPX, UnRAR, UnZIP, Pea, triddefs.trd(every week), may be something else not so important. All about that you can find in this topic if you read all posts.
Actually you don't even need UniExtract. InnoSetup : InnoEx - http://fec.ct8.pl/blog/innoex/ (suggested by Userfriendly); NSIS : latest 7-Zip perfectly deals with them; MSI : lessmsi or jsMSIx

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 9869
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#148 Post by webfork » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:23 pm

smallhagrid wrote:If/when you do have the time & energy to update UE, would you please share it ?
Yes, the whole idea behind taking it over would be to distribute an up-to-date, open, decompression tool.
billon wrote:I don't think it's hard to "Keeping UniExtract up to date" by yourself.
It's a barrier to entry for folks new to the site. The idea behind taking over the project would be to simplify and ease that whole process.

In addition, UniExtract is also a dead-simple extract program that I'd like to recommend to non-software folks. Even in 2015, it still seems like no one outside of software people have any idea what RAR or 7z files are. A dead-simple opens-anything compression tool like an updated UniExtract might grab some people.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (switched "that group" to "software people")

User avatar
Midas
Posts: 5920
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Location: Sol3

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#149 Post by Midas » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:44 am

FTR, there's also an alternative OSS multi-platform Inno unpacker: innoextract (http://constexpr.org/innoextract/, currently at v1.4).

cameosis
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:44 am

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#150 Post by cameosis » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:54 am

smallhagrid wrote:Here is the very last version of that one posted in that thread:
http://www.filedropper.com/uniextract17
the link is dead, could you reup? thanks much in advance!

Post Reply