WinRAR Unplugged

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
mrsyco

WinRAR Unplugged

#1 Post by mrsyco »

I'm sure your all familiar with WinRAR so I'll refrain from posting the details of it. Basically, the unplugged version is a version of WinRAR specifically made for USB Flash Drives and External Hard Drives etc...

Its 4.6mb in size, and as far as I can see, theres no difference to the original version, it even supports use of your own personal license key for the standard WinRAR...

http://www.win-rar.com/unpluggedinfo.html

Download:
http://www.win-rar.com/index.php?id=463 ... 6.2.2b.exe

cmmehl

#2 Post by cmmehl »

I understand it's not free - and fail to understand, why not to use the excellent 7zip instead, which also handles rar files ... portably on the USB stick or installed elsewhere ...

My 2 cts
Chris

AlephX

#3 Post by AlephX »

Sorry, WinRAR was never freeware and this portable release is trialware (40 days, as always WinRar did)

webfork

Offtopic & RAR format

#4 Post by webfork »

> Sorry, WinRAR was never freeware and this portable release is trialware (40 days, as always WinRar did)

Yes - this thread really belongs over in portable payware.

> why not to use the excellent 7zip instead, which also handles rar files

Most people have a utility that can decompress RAR files but programs that can decompress 7-zip are less common. Right or wrong, some groups prefer RAR archives.

cmmehl

#5 Post by cmmehl »

@webfork: as you admit yourself, you have trouble wit the seach ... but do you have trouble to read, too? :-D

I said it quite clearly: 7-zip can handle rar, meaning it can open it or write in this format (for those who can't live without it). Suggest you check it out if you don't believe me.

Btw - the new IZArc2Go can do rar, too (beside all the other formats) - a very promising addition to the portable world! It's already in the DB - check it out as well.

I really see no need to publicize a payware in this forum for which there are so many great free alternatives. Suggest this thread to be moved to the payware section.

Cheers
Chris

Dormouse

#6 Post by Dormouse »

cmmehl wrote:I said it quite clearly: 7-zip can handle rar, meaning it can open it or write in this format (for those who can't live without it). Suggest you check it out if you don't believe me.

Btw - the new IZArc2Go can do rar, too
If this is true, I am very suprised. RARlab make unRAR available free to others so that they can unrar, but have not made RAR available - which is why most compression utilities can unrar but not rar. WinRAR is the only utility I have come across (and I have checked very many) that can do this. There is a workaround cheat used by some which is that they can use the rar functionality of a trial version of WinRAR that is on the system. But that's not really legitimate.

EDIT - I just checked the 7zip website which says-
Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS

So, it does not write RAR files.
cmmehl wrote:I really see no need to publicize a payware in this forum for which there are so many great free alternatives. Suggest this thread to be moved to the payware section.
I agree that this thread should be in the payware section (which is where I saw it), but I must say that I find winRAR consistently more reliable than all the other zip progs I have tried, so it is worth knowing that a portable version is available.

mozi

#7 Post by mozi »

I don't see why people have to come in threads and insist on advertising another program... It's like those annoying Linux zealots that need to say Linux is the best whenever some Windows bug is fixed...

Anyways, excellent find mrsyco, I never noticed this version before.

And for the record, WinRAR is superior to 7-zip by far in terms of usability. I ditched 7-zip after a week of use.

USB_Kx

#8 Post by USB_Kx »

Thanks. It was nice to see it took my winrar license.

brewabel

#9 Post by brewabel »

USB_Kx wrote:Thanks. It was nice to see it took my winrar license.
How did you get it to "take" you license file? I've tried but can't find a way to get it to accept it.

USB_Kx

#10 Post by USB_Kx »

place rareg.key in the exe directory.

brewabel

#11 Post by brewabel »

USB_Kx wrote:place rareg.key in the exe directory.
Ok. Will have to look again. I did copy it over from my desktop version, but it's still showing as an "Evaluation Copy".

Local

#12 Post by Local »

brewabel, is your desktop version the same as the portable?

I had an older version of winrar on my pc and the reg wouldn't work.

A quick workaround for me was to put my existing winrar.exe in the portable folder and make it read only (so it doesn't get deleted on shutdown) and it runs that one in a portable manner instead.

brewabel

#13 Post by brewabel »

yeah. I actually upgraded from an old version of winrar i was running, so i could have the unplugged one.

will try that with the exe this evening and see if that works

USB_Kx

#14 Post by USB_Kx »

why are u using old versions of winrar, arent updates free?
yeah. I actually upgraded from an old version of winrar i was running, so i could have the unplugged one.
and it doesnt matter what version of winrar you have in your desktop. or if u have it at all. the license would still work.
I had an older version of winrar on my pc and the reg wouldn't work.
it works on mine.

good luck.

brewabel

#15 Post by brewabel »

USB_Kx wrote:why are u using old versions of winrar, arent updates free?
Yes updates are free. What I meant, by upgrading is that I "updated" to the latest version (i.e. 3.7)

I copied over the winrar.exe from my desktop version and now it works fine.

Thanks for the help.