JauntePE vs. SVS

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
peace

JauntePE vs. SVS

#1 Post by peace »

Hi folks,
doesn't Altiris SVS (Software Virtualization Solution) serve the same purpose but is better (has been developped for quite a while) ?
cheers
Last edited by peace on Mon May 14, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crownixx

#2 Post by crownixx »

altiris need to be installed to the host pc before the virtual software can be used..while JauntePE is a wrapper to make the software act like portable(i guess coz still blurry about the hooking)..JauntePE does not need to be installed because it is only the launcher for the software

my opinion,you can compare
JauntePE vs X-launcher vs Portable Application Launcher
or
Altiris SVS vs Sanboxie

peace

#3 Post by peace »

hi, thanks for your reply.
I got it wrong then
(and removed the poll therefore).

So if JPE is a wrapper, it behaves similarly to Thinstall, right?

crownixx

#4 Post by crownixx »

peace wrote:So if JPE is a wrapper, it behaves similarly to Thinstall, right?
urm,thats is my believes..
thinstall is not like a wrapper like JPE or x-launcher.you can read at their official website www.thinstall.com/.

for simple story, imagine that thinstall is a really small mini windows( kilobytes) and you install the application in it.this mini windows have its own registry and file system. that is why thinstalled application can be running in registry restriction area..coz it use its own registry, not the host pc registry. the term for this mini windows is called "virtual operating system (VOS)"

JPE doesnt have mini windows (VOS).
conclusion..nope, it does not behave similar to thinstall

Firewrath

#5 Post by Firewrath »

JPE injects a .dll into the program that your running with it,
the .dll acts like a buffer, it detects when the program is trying to access the registry or file system and then redirects what the program is trying to do, to whatever folder its setup for,

it cant catch everything though, due to program coding and operation variations,

idk if id call it a wrapper or anything though,
to me it seems like a detour program, :P

but meh, :P

i think each program has its place in making things portable,
JPE has a pretty easy to use and wide effect that anyone can setup,

something like Thinstall has its place more for stealth operations and has to be configured per program,
(and it was too much of a pain when i messed with it, that i stopped trying, :P ...it didnt like Tor, -_-)

Anyways,
i think it should just come down to what your trying to do, what fits what your doing, and what your more comfortable with using,

crownixx

#6 Post by crownixx »

Thx Firewrath for JauntePE explaination. now i get more clear view about the hooking.

1st, people try portablized software by using batch script, autoit, NSIS..
they have to: learn the script language, manually monitor software behavior, and make the script accordingly to those behaviour

Then, come Registry Rapper to make portablized easier..but because lack of function, there comes X-launcher, PortableAppLauncher....people dont need to learn sript language anymore
they have to: manually monitor software behavior, and just editing the *.ini file

Then, introduce JauntePE,..with the hooking ability. I guess Lapwing does the same things as JauntePE (still in development & currently no succesfull software can be portablized with it). people can leave language script and manual monitor (hooking takes the job. am i correct at this point?)
they have to: only learn how to edit the *.ini

Lastly, thinstall..just edit few settings, and click,click.. :lol: the most easy way making portable application

Firewrath

#7 Post by Firewrath »

Actually,
you dont need to edit the JPE .ini file most of the time,
theres a few programs that kind of force you to exclude a thing or two,
but most programs will run just fine with no .ini file for them,

peace

#8 Post by peace »

great! thanks for your explanations !